Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

I made a spread sheet and tracked what we ate/drank (rough est). It was worth it for this family of 5. We are not big breakfast eaters, cereal/ fruit or yogurt. But at least 2 coffees for the adults. Having to deal w the lines at quick service to pay $35-40 every am right off the bat was a savings.
Second-- drinks. We are not lushes (well maybe I am) but enjoy a glass or two of wine/beer. Having that glass or two in the CL saved easily $35 a day. I'm also a coffee/espresso all day girl. Those 3-4$ add right up.
Third-- being able to spread out somewhere other than the room was soooooo nice. Esp as my kids span age 2-12. The 2 older ones went to the Club to do homework while the little one would go out and play etc. And it was certainly cheaper to pay CL than upgrade to a 1 br villa.

We did not pay $150 night more, it was about $35 an night.

Hth
Heather

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
luvdisney77
Mouseketeer

This thread has been VERY informative and helpful!!

KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING!!
Ft. Wilderness Cabins 2/26 - 3/5/11
POP CENTURY during MVMCP!! 11/25-12/3/11:santa
So far, no trip on the horizon. Need $ and FD!
luvdisney77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

If you look at rack rates, fm difference between regular standard room and club level is 100.00-150.00 more per night.... No way 35.00 more... Where you getting your figures .....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2
The difference with club level is you pay what it costs for a week or two of groceries EVERY NIGHT for the privilege of having access to a lounge with some appetizers and continental breakfast. Oh, and you get access to a concierge desk that will do for you what you can do for yourself if you spend 2 minutes online.

Whoopdie doo
Wow, for someone who was dying to book CL at BW only if you could get a BW view room, you sound kind of bitter now. Why the sudden change of heart?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Wow, for someone who was dying to book CL at BW only if you could get a BW view room, you sound kind of bitter now. Why the sudden change of heart?
The difference in price per night for me at the boardwalk was only going to be about $35 per night vs a water view boardwalk inn room. Now for $35 per night I'd enjoy the club level lounge, no doubt about it. That was based on a special travel agent rate, however. I'll never understand $150-200 more for it, unless of course you are just plain rich.
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(

I think it makes a difference what kind of breakfast you want, and also if you are going to drink wine/beer. If you're quick breakfast type of people who like cereal and pastries, and then come back from the parks in the early evening and want several drinks (not drinking at the park and staying for fireworks), then the CL might start to pay off.

It's based upon the type of routine of someone coming back to the resort in early evening, around 5 or 6, having an appetizer and drink in the lounge, then going to their dinner reservation, then coming back to the lounge for dessert- basically people who spend the evening at the resort.

For me of course, this doesn't make any sense, as I travel alone, I tend to like a hot breakfast in the food court (quick, but still a Mickey waffle or eggs), then going to the theme park and staying for the evening fireworks, not getting back to the resort until late.

So it depends upon your routine as to whether the CL makes sense or not.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Last September I took my brother (an adult) to Disney World. It was his first time going since he was a little kid (young enough that he really didn't remember much) and I wanted it to be VERY special so I booked us club level at the Yacht club.

I think it was worth it for us, because my brother ended up not dealing well with the heat--at all. Our last day we were supposed to go to Epcot until about 3 pm, when the Magical Express would take us back to the airport. My brother was so beat by the heat, he didn't even want to stay at Epcot after our noon lunch. He just wanted to sit somewhere in air conditioning and relax. Since we still had club lounge privileges for the day, he was able to just hang out there, in the a/c with plenty of cold drinks, wifi, tv, etc. It was really nice to have just a "place to be" where he could relax. I don't know where he could have hung out for several hours if we didn't have that--I mean, if he went to the ESPN bar or something he would have been obligated to keep buying drinks/food, which could add up.
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
I agree.... Not with the cost... For that extra 100.00-150.00 per day, I can set up my regular room with everything and more from a grocery store and pocket 75.00-125.00 a day and have it anytime I want with better quality and quantity ...

Rooms are no different and as for the IPO, as stated above, I can do that myself 160 days out.... They can't get you anything that's book full either....

Have done CL alot years ago when offerings were better and CL was alot cheaper and discounts bigger .... Anymore it's just a rip off for what you get...
I agree with this. We have done Club level the last two trips, and I am on the fence with the next trip. Don't get me wrong I loved Club, but from a cost stand point it's not really worth it. Our next trip we will be a Disney 11 nights, and we will have a car. The cost of Club level will cost 1250. I can easily stock our room with snacks alcohol and sodas for under 150.00 and then still have another 1100 towards food. I love club level, but I have to be very comfortable spending the extra money to enjoy it.
padawans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2

The difference in price per night for me at the boardwalk was only going to be about $35 per night vs a water view boardwalk inn room. Now for $35 per night I'd enjoy the club level lounge, no doubt about it. That was based on a special travel agent rate, however. I'll never understand $150-200 more for it, unless of course you are just plain rich.
Mine is just under 100 more than a standard gv and no i am not rich. This is a BIG money saver for us.

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV,VWL,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Wanna be Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel

Mine is just under 100 more than a standard gv and no i am not rich. This is a BIG money saver for us.
Staying Poly CL for the first time in May and we hope to save money too! $100 vs DDP = no brainer. If you spend time at the resort and aren't stuck on the DDP, CL makes complete sense! I have feeling after 1 CL stay we'll be hooked

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Well to whomever was questioning my figures, we payed $252 more for CL for an eight night trip. That's actually $31.50 per day. I rounded up.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #27
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Plus I'd much rather pay oop for meals I want as opposed to the savings' of DDP. So it works out for us. That said I would not pay $150 or $200 more per night. Although my DS 2 loves the 'living room' as he calls it.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #28
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

i agree with mickeyluv'r in our case, as well.

the times we have looked into booking CL it was roughly $100 extra a night (the exception to this would be GF RPC). for the food alone, it was worth the $100. we are a family of four who eat breakfast at the lounge every morning no matter what. we usually have some of the evening hors d'oeuvres as well and my kids almost always get the desserts. i always have wine at the lounge in the evening, too. cost wise, i feel that we as a family break even with the food.

the convenience and time saving aspects are the added bonus to me that makes it better than breaking even. i love that we can have great breakfast options, already prepared and for the taking, right down the hall from our room. it's a huge time saver for us. it makes the morning so easy and i am never stressed about getting to a park on time, worried that i will have to wait in line or find a table or anything. we don't even have to all go at the same time. i love that after a long day at the parks, hungry and tired, we don't have to debate over where we want to eat or anything, we just pop into the lounge.

while i make almost all my own dining reservations, i have used the cl staff to cancel or change them for me. i just pop over to the desk on my way to a park and they take care of it. i don't have to bother waiting on hold on the phone.

i could definitely see where some people feel they won't make use of the additional amenities but for our family, it definitely works. for us, it is not only worth the $$ but the time as well.

bethclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #29
Anonomom
DIS Veteran

For us, totally worth it. With a pin code, CL is $117 more per night, and the way we use it that covers breakfast and 1/2 of dinner (instead of eating at a TS, we get 2 QS meals to share among the five of us, supplemented by the lounge offerings). Add in little luxuries like sitting on our balcony eating desserts from the lounge as we watch Wishes (our own private little dessert party!) and having a real latte with breakfast, and it's a no-brainer.

Plus, we have a toddler who still naps. It's very nice to have the lounge for the older kids to hang out in while the baby is sleeping. And skipping the check-in line doesn't hurt, either.
Anonomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #30
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Thanks. Yes, the little time savings add up for us as well.

We used to be more commandos, on the go from 9am- midnight. Part of that was staying at mods, where breaks = 45min each way. At deluxes, getting back to the room takes less time (from from 1 or 2 parks).

In summer, there's often a 4pm storm. After, the parks are open late. It's sweet to be dry in the lounge sipping wine. It can also be nice to change for dinner.

We don't spend all night at the resort, but if we are CL at CR or Poly, it's comfy to watch Wishes once from the lounge. Desserts are icing on the cake. You also avoid the post-fireworks monorail/bus throng.

(One tiny perk is getting a gold KTTW card. We've been known to quietly hum the song from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, "I've got a golden tick-et..." )

I think OP also mentioned being a business guest. CL is popular with business travelers. They often use the lounge for networking (both meanings), and quick snacks. Once, I was at CR when the whole 14th floor was convention goers. (my floor's latte machine was down). It was neat to see. I don't know what it cost, but among the cool things was a colored chocolate water fountain/logo sculpture. Wow!

For business travelers, it's even more true that time is money. If you've got a tight presentation schedule, faster service might make all the difference. Or maybe not. CL's a bit of trip insurance.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: