Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
trip
family trip planner

I'm surprised that it took them this long!
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchfans View Post
DD and I just had a shocker the other day when we went to the post office to mail some boxes of very late Christmas/birthday gifts to my grandchildren. One minute they were coming here next minute they weren't. I packed up all the gifts and ended up with 5 boxes.

The clerk said it would be $12 a box. $60. Can't afford that. Not when I recently received a $308.00 electric bill. plus State Farm is asking for a bundle. So I sadly walked out. The clerk said that there was a hike in their fees as of January 27, 2012. She then sneers as me and says good luck if you plan on going to any one else they are competitive with us.

Looks like my grandchildren will just have to wait longer until my DD can drive out for a visit. Feel bad, but I just can't justify spending that kind of money right now. And to top it off this was for Parcel Post.
Fed Ex ground is much cheaper than USPS. You also get tracking info. I never use the post office for packages anymore.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive View Post
The USPS will end saturday first class mail delivery in August. This will be the start to what will lead to a 4 day delivery week down the road. Sorry, the USPS is already a slow form of delivery for many so taking away a delivery day lengthens the delivery window. Looks like they are following the P&G customer theory, charge more and provide less. Wasn't there just a postal increase?
They have to charge more in order to provide the service. Everything is going up and will continue to for reasons I cant get into as per DIS rules.
Anyway, I don't have a problem with not getting Saturday delivery, like a pp mentioned, I usually just get junk mail anyway. I do hope this doesn't mean a huge round of layoffs, but from what I understand from a relative (who is a postal carrier) they do use temps so maybe the permanent workers wont be effected too much
And I'm with Acklander, saving $2 billion is a good thing. Too bad our gov't officials cant seem to do anything to do that.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
Fed Ex ground is much cheaper than USPS. You also get tracking info. I never use the post office for packages anymore.
That's weird. I was told by many people around here that UPS and Fed Ex were expensive now too. Guess I should check into it. Both are about 45 minutes away and I'd hate to have to drive out there just to find out it was just as much as the USPS.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchfans View Post
That's weird. I was told by many people around here that UPS and Fed Ex were expensive now too. Guess I should check into it. Both are about 45 minutes away and I'd hate to have to drive out there just to find out it was just as much as the USPS.
Try their website. If you have everything boxed up you can probably find out the cost, and schedule a pick-up.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
BillSears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvioletisme View Post
The only thing it will slightly mess up for me is our Netflix delivery. We send back and receive netflix really regularly so this means longer times to receive stuff at the end/beginning of each week.
Yep, I think this will be the end of Netflix for me. I almost always watch a movie on Saturday/Sunday. Mail it back Monday. Netflix receives it Tuesday, I get a new movie Wednesday and watch it. I mail it back Thursday. Netflix gets it on Friday. I get a new movie on Saturday and the cycle continues.

With no Saturday delivery I can't get 2 movies a week anymore and I'm going to have to rethink Netflix.
CR-77, Travelodge(DTD)-81, Poly-92, SOG-96, Offsite-97, ASMu-98, POR-03, Vistana Resort-04, WL-Sept 2006! CSR-December 2006, Pop-May 2007(first solo trip!), CSR-Sept 2007(Solo trip), and offsite-May-2008 visited Universal, SeaWorld, KSC and a couple of days at WDW. WL-March 2009 I turned 50 in WDW! May-10 Pop, Oct 2010- Pop for first F&W, Dec 2010-Pop for Christmas stuff, May 2011-POFQ. Pop Aug -14, Pop Sept-14, Pop Dec-14 and Pop May-15! Trip report from 1997:http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip....97/sears97.htm
BillSears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
It is just 1st class mail (letters) packages will still be delivered on Saturday.

USPS is till faster then UPS/FEDEX for me. Since USPS is doing the last leg of their delivery for UPS/FEDEX packages and for some reason UPS/FEDEX has not figured out to drop them off before the carriers go out for delivery they have a day layover at the local USPS office.

familyoffive,
What letters do you still get in the mail?
We received the majority of our financial records via USPS, online was not an option. This will slow down the process. The sort centers are being consolidated and many contract facilities are being eliminated. This will result in slower mail delivery. Take a week where you have a holiday in it and you now are down to 4 days of delivery. Our local utility company mails a postcard bill, it cannot be paid online or via phone. You either pay in person or mail a check. Again, taking away delivery days increases the amount of time it takes for the mail to travel and be delivered.
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I do feel bad for the Postal workers but to be honest I could go down to mail delivery only once or twice a week and not notice the difference.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

In this economy, I just feel for the carriers. Years ago, working for USPS was such a great deal, now their jobs are scutinized and they don't know what each year holds. People who have been carriers for years are in serious danger of transfers and job loss. I know most people don't have too much of a problem with the saturday loss, but many carriers do.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
I do feel bad for the Postal workers but to be honest I could go down to mail delivery only once or twice a week and not notice the difference.
I feel bad for the postal workers too but all I get is ads, catalogs and junk mail that go right in the recycle bin. They don't even come in the house. All of my bills come by email and I pay them online. The only thing we mail is our "one at a time" netflix movie and birthday invitations twice a year. I send packages by UPS.

It is good that they will be saving so much money. Maybe they can restructure so that they don't become obsolete.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #26
Disneefun
DIS Veteran

I hope they can get themselves in order and that this is a positive step. For me, it'll mean some changes to how I use Netflix, and that I'll have to wait until Monday to get my trashy magazine fix (People and Entertainment Weekly almost always come on Sat.). Nothing I can't deal with.

Even though I pay most of my stuff online, I do still get some bills from doctors that don't have any sort of online billing. I have to snail mail payments to them. But other than that, it's mostly junk that comes and I only occasionally send cards.

Now, for my parents it might be a different story. I know they get their prescriptions delivered first class mail, so hopefully this won't upset them too much.
Disneefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

It appears I am one of the few who gets and sends important things via USPS and will be a little miffed by this change. I always get checks from my agent (they don't do direct deposit) on Saturday mornings and would deposit them in the afternoon. Now, since I work full-time, I won't be able to deposit it at my bank until the following Saturday.

Will the post offices still be open on Saturday? If not, that will really screw things up for me! I'd have to switch to UPS and that's MUCH more expensive.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #28
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Forgot about Netflix. We often get movies on Saturdays. We will just have to plan a little better.
We are friends with our mail carrier and he thinks it is a good thing.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #29
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I think it might effect poor folks a bit also. those that don't do a lot of stuff on line.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #30
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkiya View Post
I wonder how many postal carriers will be affected with layoffs...
Yeah, this is the problem. The employees have known this was coming and the post office says this will be about half accomodated through attrition. I will not miss Saturday delivery. OP-I don't see that this is a slippery slope to 4 day delivery; seems like a conspiracy theory or fear based argument to me. My neighborhood has three post offices. Might just be a convenient spot for a post office but seems like they could consolidate three into two and save some money as well. I drop my mail in the box on the corner so three post offices and Saturday pkup/delivery just are not an issue.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: