Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
pocomom
Brr.....

Favorite family vacation?

OK, so dh said he would like to go somewhere else before we go back to disney .... Although it is crazy talk , I realized he probably does get a vote With the kids we have been to Atlantis, loved it but a bank breaker, Ocean City Maryland, Rocky Mountain NP, coastal NC, SC, and GA, Fire Island and of course WDW. All were great, but Disney and Atlantis were our favorites. What were your favorite family vacations so far?
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomom View Post
OK, so dh said he would like to go somewhere else before we go back to disney .... Although it is crazy talk , I realized he probably does get a vote With the kids we have been to Atlantis, loved it but a bank breaker, Ocean City Maryland, Rocky Mountain NP, coastal NC, SC, and GA, Fire Island and of course WDW. All were great, but Disney and Atlantis were our favorites. What were your favorite family vacations so far?
It really depends upon the ages of your children. We love Ocean City and Washington DC on years when we can't get to WDW. Thats the plan this year and the boys are more excited than when we have a Disney trip planned!

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I'm the only one in the family whose favorite vacation is WDW.

The 15 and 12 year old girls and dh all prefer renting a house on a lake in the Adirondacks. I find it very interesting that the kids, who must always be connected with their friends and busy every minute, genuinely enjoy being cut off from that in a cell-phone free, TV free zone.

We go to a lake within striking distance of Lake Placid, where they have an ice skating show and ski jumping contests (on plastic in the summer) which makes for a change from paddling around the lake and relaxing.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Our favorites, next to WDW of course, are cruises. We prefer DCL, but if DH really wants a break from Disney, there are many other great cruise lines to choose from.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
leahjade
DIS Veteran

We loved the Grand Canyon and Sedona.
leahjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
robsmom
loved it so much we might go back

Not sure where you are coming from. Cruises have become our favorite in the last few years. Since you are somewhere covered by snow and you have East Coast prior vacations I am going to guess Northeast/Midatlantic There are some that leave from New York, New Jersey and Baltimore that can save you the cost of flying. We loved our week in Williamsburg with a nice mixture of history and the amusement parks.
Wilderness Lodge 7/05
Vistana 6/07
DCL 8/07
DCL, Wilderness Lodge, AKL 11/08
Yacht Club 11/09
robsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
a742246
older than dirt

It's just my wife and I our children are all out of the house, our favorite vacations are New York City for weekend trips. For day trips its the Saratoga Springs/Lake George area.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
mom0299
DIS Veteran

I'm another one who votes for cruises. We love WDW, but have never done a Disney cruise. We usually go on Carnival, but have cruised with Royal Caribbean once. Cruises are great because there is something for everyone. Your food and entertainment on the ship are paid for with the cruise price. Excursions are extra. A cruise ship has something for everyone, no matter what the age.

Disneymoon @ Dixie Landings - 1993 Family Trip @ CR - 2004 Family Trip @ CSR - 2006 Family Christmas Trip @ All Star Sports - 2006 New Year Grand Gathering @ Pop - 2007/2008 Family Christmas Trip @ CBR - 2010 Family Trip @ POR - 2013
mom0299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
ThisIsTheYear
Too far from Mickey!

Las Vegas. My Grandparents used to live there so we would visit a lot. They had tons of stuff for kids to do. The last time I was there (2005) I noticed that they unfortunately took down the big water park. I don't know if they have built any new ones. You could also make day visits to the Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, etc.
11/2013 - POP Century
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
drcmk
DIS Veteran

Our number one choice is New Mexico--for natural beauty, culture and delicious food.

We've also enjoyed visiting San Diego--lots of family-friendly stuff to do--and Boston. This year we are extending our Boston travels to Maine, Rhode Island and Salem, MA.
drcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
RedsDrew
Mouseketeer

Kids tend to love Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, TN and also Branson, MO. In addition to kind friendly and family friendly stuff, there are shows the adults would enjoy like past music starts, comedy, etc.
June 2014 - BWI; May/June 2013 - POR; May/June 2012 - POFQ; Sept 2011 - POFQ for MNSSHP; Nov 2010 - AKL for MMVCP; July 2010 - Pop Century for 4th of July; May/June 2010 - Contemporary; Apr 2010 - CBR; Nov 2009 - POR for MMVCP[/B]
RedsDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I'm the only one in the family whose favorite vacation is WDW.

The 15 and 12 year old girls and dh all prefer renting a house on a lake in the Adirondacks. I find it very interesting that the kids, who must always be connected with their friends and busy every minute, genuinely enjoy being cut off from that in a cell-phone free, TV free zone.

We go to a lake within striking distance of Lake Placid, where they have an ice skating show and ski jumping contests (on plastic in the summer) which makes for a change from paddling around the lake and relaxing.
That is hysterical! It seems my girls just love staying in hotels. It doesn't matter to them if we ever venture out and do anything else. BUT, they still have their cell phones, Ipods, and a TV!

That being said, my husband is a "doer". He is up at the crack of dawn ready to go somewhere....every day. Ugh! Doesn't want to sit still for long. We get mad at him for waking us up, so he slips on his shoes and leaves the room every morning for a few hours. We have funny stories from every trip about him meeting random people and making friends while the rest of us are back in the room sleeping or getting ready!

Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting more trip ideas. I would love to get the heck out of here for Spring Break, but Disney isn't offering any discounts and I can't come up with any other ideas. There is literally no where else any of us all want to go. Sigh.
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
rella's fan
Mouseketeer

What about Disneyland? Me and my daughter got sick of Disney World and started going to Disneyland and it's a nice change. We took the train to L.A. and did the Grove and Hollywood stuff, and we also took a one day bus trip to San Diego and went to the zoo. It's kind of weird because we're a lot closer to Florida but it's cheaper for us to go to California.
rella's fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

We love to cruise as well. We've sailed DCL, Royal Carribean, and Princess. We love the parks but if DD18 (and even when she was younger) got to choose it would be a cruise. We can go things together as a family but also do our own thing.

We went to an all inclusive in Mexico last summer for a wedding. It was the first time for us at an all inclusive but loved it.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
mitchwebb
DIS Veteran

West Coaster

Favorites (excluding WDW &Disneyland) Yosemite,Tahoe, Hawaii or any beach

DHDD12DD15DD21*

mitchwebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: