Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

Late September Cruise and Hurricanes

Hi all! I've recently come upon some Southwest fligh credits that have to be used in October, sadly before our planned yearly trip in November. I decided that we should save 150 by spending lots more to go on a Disney Cruise (makes sense, right, ). However, I'm a bit worried about a 3 day Dream Cruise at the end of Septmeber. I was hoping people could help quell my fears. I took an October Cruise for my honeymoon and the weather was incredible. I was wondering if a few weeks earlier would throw us in hurricane season and prevent me from having the lazy, lovely day at Castaway Cay I dream about!

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I believe hurricane season technically starts in June and runs through November, and really could occur in any month. That said, it does seems most hurricanes hit late Aug/Sept/Oct. Are you taking a chance? Yes, but remember the majority of dates in those months are not impacted by a hurricane. If you are truly concerned, then you could reschedule the cruise to another time of year. But I'd go for it, and make sure you have travel insurance.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. There are more cruises during that time not affected by a hurricane than affected, and usually the result is that the itinerary is adjusted.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

In the grand scheme of things and considering the number of cruises that have taken place during hurricane season, it is more likely that you'll not have a problem. And the risk of bad weather comes with any cruise. That being said, you're odds for encountering a problem are greater during hurricane season and there really isn't a better or worst part of it in which to plan a trip.

If you make your plans, just get into the mind set that there may be issues and be prepared to roll with them. If you're already mentally and perhaps logistically prepared for contingencies you can relax a bit and chances are everything will work our great.

But do get travel insurance!

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Last edited by mom2jcg; 02-06-2013 at 12:39 PM.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

We sailed on the Dream in August 2011 right after Hurricane Irene pounded CC. As we departed the Poly for Port Canaveral, I ran into a woman who had just gotten off the Dream and said that they did not go to CC and that there was no way we would get to go because it was "destroyed." (never understand people who like to upset others!) We were extremely disappointed because this was our first Disney cruise and we really wanted to do CC. We were supposed to do Nassau, CC, then day at sea. After Nassau, the cruise director informed us that we would do the day at sea next because CMs were working hard to clean up CC. We were also told that the stingray feeding would be canceled even if we did go because they had escaped. At 9pm on the day at sea, the captain came on the speaker and announced that we had been given clearance for CC! The dining room erupted in cheers! When we got to CC, much of the vegetation was brown because of the seawater, so no pretty picture with the ship in the background, but it was far from "destroyed." They also did manage to recapture the stingrays, so we did get to do that. We did book our next cruise because I did not want the stress of worrying about hurricanes again. However, if you know these are possibilities and it does not bother you, you can get fantastic rates that time of year, but like the PP said, buy insurance!
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: