Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine

Before you jump into the fray of "Whole Foods" & "eating clean" I suggest you cut out processed foods first.

Also look into migraine trigger foods and eliminate those.

It is better to begin replacing things that you normally eat and substitute that for fresh food.

It takes time. Good Luck!
Migraine trigger foods can be different for everyone. Some say gluten, some soy, some milk and milk by products. I kept a food diary for several weeks but since I have a migraine every day it's hard to tell what is the culprit because there's no break in between the pain.

The only thing that I have consistently is milk or cheese. Last week I had pizza and ended up in the ER the next morning so there's definitely some truth to the diary product triggers for me at least. I noticed a difference when we switched to organic milk a few years ago, but since have gone back to regular.

I'm going to have to start as someone has said taking things out or replacing them little by little. I always eat canned vegetables. I have to switch to fresh/hopefully organic. I often have mashed potatoes made from a box mix. I told my mom that we should just make a big batch of home made mashed with organic potatoes and keep it in the fridge.

Before I take out cheeses or milk completely I'll try switching to organic versions first. I've used soy or almond milk in the past and it's just not the same. I really really don't want to give up milk. If I have to.. I will.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
Migraine trigger foods can be different for everyone. Some say gluten, some soy, some milk and milk by products. I kept a food diary for several weeks but since I have a migraine every day it's hard to tell what is the culprit because there's no break in between the pain.

The only thing that I have consistently is milk or cheese. Last week I had pizza and ended up in the ER the next morning so there's definitely some truth to the diary product triggers for me at least. I noticed a difference when we switched to organic milk a few years ago, but since have gone back to regular.

I'm going to have to start as someone has said taking things out or replacing them little by little. I always eat canned vegetables. I have to switch to fresh/hopefully organic. I often have mashed potatoes made from a box mix. I told my mom that we should just make a big batch of home made mashed with organic potatoes and keep it in the fridge.

Before I take out cheeses or milk completely I'll try switching to organic versions first. I've used soy or almond milk in the past and it's just not the same. I really really don't want to give up milk. If I have to.. I will.
That is certainly the way to go. It is time consuming, let me tell you as I am doing it.

Here is the line of thinking you need to eliminate. You are worried more about "organic", "clean eating", etc.. and less about eating processed foods.

Start there first. And don't make "big batches" of mashed potatoes. Just make a small batch when you do make them.

Key here is to try and cook EVERYDAY with fresh food and fresh ingredients no matter where you bought them & if they are organic or not to start with.

I think that is the hardest part. The question of what do you want to eat can be TORTURE!!!!!
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
We are eating a heart healthy diet, which is almost clean eating and while I would love to shop at Whole Foods, it is 30mins away to go shop there for me and Whole Foods is expensive. If you shop there your bill will raise most definitely.

I would love to shop at Whole Foods for their meat, fish, and eggs though. My local grocery store does not have cage free eggs, bison meat, and the fish selection can be pretty poor.

As far as Trader Joe's, they do have great snacks, but most of their stuff is prepackaged or frozen which would not be clean eating.

I need to find a good butcher is what I need to do.
I don't know where you live, but why not go to a local rancher and buy an entire cow? Usually they know a local butcher that will do the job and you will have enough meet to fill an entire chest freezer.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
MissKip
Earning My Ears

I eat clean most of the time. It's not difficult of expensive to do. I spend a lot of time in the gym and feel much better when I eat clean
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
I don't know where you live, but why not go to a local rancher and buy an entire cow? Usually they know a local butcher that will do the job and you will have enough meet to fill an entire chest freezer.
Is that what you do?
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

Yep! Started about a month ago for my migraines. Now, I also upped my topamax because they were so bad so i have no idea yet if it's helping but i do have more energy. Cut out almost all refined sugar (yeah, i still need it in my coffee and i make my own iced tea and use some, but way less than my Snapple habit!)...no processed foods, and i'm cutting my bread, wheat, etc. way down. I'm Italian so life without bread wouldn't worth living lol...
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Is that what you do?
Not right now, because we are remodeling our basement (where the freezer goes)
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #23
almburr
DIS Veteran

We are a clean eating family! We try to follow it 100% but there are times we enjoy treats. Our grocery bill hasn't changed much. I subscribe to the eat clean magazine. I also have several cook books.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #24
JessB320
DIS Veteran

I find I shop at any store a lot less now. we bought a 1/4 of a cow, several chickens and 1/2 a hog all from local ranchers. I get my eggs 10 dozen at a time from a hobby chicken farmer. We get fish from my dad fresh caught, and milk from a local farm. The milk has not been homogenized so I separate the cream off and make butter. Then I make yougurt, yougurt cheese, ricotta, and mozzarella from the milk. Or we just drink it lol. We get large bags of whole wheat organic flour from a local granary. In spring summer and fall I make a trip to the farmers markets 1-2 times a week for all our veggies and fruit. This leaves very little I have to buy at the store , and our budget is waaaay less than it use to be . Cutting all the junk out and then cutting out the middle man saves a ton. Don't get overwhelmed however, just start small!! Your on the right track. Get use to fresh veggies, then worry about organic!!

Check out freshfield farms in orlando. They sell only meat and produce at great prices, they try to focus on local and organic stuff and have new specials every week!! They are on Facebook

Good luck !!

Last edited by JessB320; 02-06-2013 at 11:24 AM.
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #25
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

we are a clean eating home. It's part of my new weight loss plan. I wear my fitbit, follow steps, count calories and eat clean. No processed food (usually), no white sugar or flour. I can't always do organic or free range though. But if you are having food issues I think just eliminating all processed food might be enough. I do little dairy, mostly only yogurt and creamer for my coffee. I use coconut and almond milk at home, soy when out. I have done this off and on but for the past three weeks I've been pretty serious about it. I am starting to feel better.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I do. Shopping more expensive, but not really more time-consuming. I do 90 percent of my shopping at a small local chain. There I can get milk (organic, low temp, grass fed) and dairy products from a nearby farm, same goes for eggs. Wild caught fish & shellfish. Grass fed, antibiotic-free meat and chicken. Organic fruits and vegetables. I do grow a lot of herbs and some vegetables.

I do still buy Pop Tarts for my husband and son. Their favorite thing. But other than that, no HFCS, and very little sugar. We really don't have dessert at home other than fruit (but I'm not a hardass about this - we have real cake for birthdays, for example.)

I am a SAHM so I have plenty of time to, say, make soup from scratch or bake bread or whatever. I just avoid packaged/processed foods ... except the Pop Tarts.

Honestly, the thing I hate about Disney is the quality & source of the food. We would go more often if we were comfortable eating that stuff. We're not kooky enough to bring our own coolers full of food and heat it up on the coffeepot or ironing board or whatever. So we do tend to stick to the TS restaurants -- those at least have more organic, hormone- free options. I don't mind paying more for that.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

I am not clean, clean but I do try to stick to the outside of the store where the freshness is found I eat meat and don't do green smoothies, like some of my super clean eating friends. I do eat processed foods, but have been switching over to more "me" food rather then "them" food. Its for my weight and so I can live a better life.
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I think clean eating actually helps my budget. If I omit meat, dairy and eggs. I basically only shop in the veggie section with grains purchased in bulk.

However, what gets me is the clean eating added to what the rest of my kids enjoy. That is where it gets expensive.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #29
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

I know nothing about the whole concept of a "clean" food -- and don't really care, either.

However, I *do* know about migraines, and when it comes to dairy items, you should limit to non-fermented items if migraines are an issue. Fermented/aged foods of any kind tend to be a problem for migraine sufferers. Hard cheeses are part of that list.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #30
disfan07
DIS Veteran

For me, yes and no. A lot of the way I eat has to do with my allergies. But I do choose to buy organic grass fed beef and organic chicken plus a lot of fruits and veggies.

I can't have nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, soy, dairy, sesame, oats, coconut. But...I also cannot have raw fruits and vegetables.

I haven't given up processed foods completely. I need some quick snacks to grab occasionally (I'm a college student...time is limited)

But I do buy organic meat and poultry from whole foods. It's not cheap. For a week of meals, I spend about $25-30 just for myself.

I do buy some chips but the only ingredients are potatoes, oil and sea salt. I do occasionally buy hormel lunch meats to take sandwiches to doctors appointments on Fridays. But most of what I buy has less than 5 ingredients if it's pre made.

However, for sweet treats, I either make everything or I get a treat from a gluten free, allergen free and vegan bakery near me.

My typical shopping list for the week:
1 lb of 90/10 ground beef
1 lb of organic chicken
1/2 lb of organic ground turkey
Eggplant
Carrots
Beets
Mushrooms
Peppers
Onions
Apples
Pears
Frozen blueberries
Frozen cherries
Green beans
Dried apples, prunes, apricots (made in nature brand...no added sugar)

And sometimes I have additional things such as brown rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch for baking.

The trick for me is, I can't go out to eat. It's. It's just not possible. So all quick bites and convenience foods are a no go for me. So that means I have to create my own convenience foods. So for example, this past Saturday, I spent half the day cooking and I made:
Veggie lasgana (no cheese)
Meat lasgana (no cheese)
Chicken w/veggies (recipe from my old pot pie recipe...just without the biscuits)
Baked fruit
Chocolate chunk brownie bars
Blueberry and plain pancakes
Vanilla cupcakes

And then I freeze it all. So all I have to do during the week is take it out of the freezer/fridge and heat it up. It keeps me from just snacking on junk and it keeps me from skipping meals.

I will say that I spend anywhere from $75-100/week just for myself depending on how much I have to buy. It's not cheap but I also have a lot of limitations other people don't have.

I will say though, for me, the only thing my diet has helped is my allergies. Otherwise I still have migraines, joint pain, GI problems, and eczema along with asthma, endometriosis and PCOS. But my medical is so complicated I never expected a diet change to help too much.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2013); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Old Key West; and Beach Club Villas; Pop Century (2010, 2012)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: