Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Anyone into "clean" eating?

I was doing some reading on the subject after seeing an article about migraines and reduction in onset after people start clean eating. If you do this in your home, do you shop at different stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, and has your normal grocery bill increased?
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

I know someone who eats very "clean" and she shops at all regular grocery stores. I really think you can purchase most of the things you need at a regular grocery store. If there are any specialty items - go to a more high end store. He diet ended up being a diet of omission. She basically omitted a lot of foods from her diet. You don't need a special store to do that.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
I was doing some reading on the subject after seeing an article about migraines and reduction in onset after people start clean eating. If you do this in your home, do you shop at different stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, and has your normal grocery bill increased?
We are eating a heart healthy diet, which is almost clean eating and while I would love to shop at Whole Foods, it is 30mins away to go shop there for me and Whole Foods is expensive. If you shop there your bill will raise most definitely.

I would love to shop at Whole Foods for their meat, fish, and eggs though. My local grocery store does not have cage free eggs, bison meat, and the fish selection can be pretty poor.

As far as Trader Joe's, they do have great snacks, but most of their stuff is prepackaged or frozen which would not be clean eating.

I need to find a good butcher is what I need to do.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
shortbun
Peacenik

If you want a diet fairly free of GMO's, you need to do your shopping at Whole Foods or grow it yourself or buy it from an organic farm.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

OP - Thank you for posting this. It has me very intrigued as well and I will be interested to hear the responses.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
If you want a diet fairly free of GMO's, you need to do your shopping at Whole Foods or grow it yourself or buy it from an organic farm.
There are other stores besides Whole Foods. We shop mostly at Earth Fare, which (Whole Foods is about 5 miles further away and we were underwhelmed when this one opened) offers pretty much the same stuff as Whole Foods.

The larger Wegman's in the Northeast also are highly competitive in the non-GMO, organic space.

Although, up until this point I've never heard of "clean" eating, we pretty much do just that (read up one it). When we eat at home, we eat virtually no processed foods, almost everything is organic, we prefer local grown foods and look for small ingredient lists.

Last edited by jlewisinsyr; 02-06-2013 at 07:04 AM.
jlewisinsyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Pembo
OH-IO

Friend at work is eating clean. It has helped her migraines to the point that she no longer gets them and she's lost weight. No Whole Foods in our area, she shops the local grocery stores.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
JFonzarelli
Earning My Ears

Eating clean is fairly easy and manageable on the pockets. No need to shop at specific stores at all. Talapia, broccoli, fruits, nuts, milk, chicken, etc. can all be found at your local walmart/grocery store. You'll be cooking WAY more seeing as you want to stay away from ALMOST everything in a box and requires microwaving.
JFonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Hardy
Mouseketeer

I eat basically a vegan diet. Occasionally I end up eating something with milk protein or something, and I also will eat local properly raised honey. Vegan is a lot of clean eating! If it has an ingredient list, it's probably likely to not be clean! But you can find stuff, I do most of my shopping at Kroger which has a large organic section, and a local co-op, and of course farmers market. Corn and soy are common gmo culprits, look for organic things, and organic fruits and veggies, potatoes, etc. I probably spend around the same bc I don't buy convenience foods or meat, milk, or eggs anymore. We also rarely eat out which is a huge savings that can be put toward the grocery bill.

Pop Century/Wilderness Lodge/Boardwalk Villas - June 2013
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) August 2012
Old Key West - August 2011
Beach Club Villas - January 2011
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and our 1st visit to Hogwarts! - October 2010
All Star Music/Saratoga Springs/Pop Century - March 2009
Caribbean Beach - October 2008
Port Orleans Riverside - October 2005
Offsite as a kid (what were my parents thinking?)
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

The reason why I asked about stores like Whole Foods is because of the meat issue. We now mainly do all grocery shopping at Walmart, which does not offer organic cage free meats. We have a Publix right near the Walmart but I haven't looked into their meat selections.

My migraines won't disappear totally because there's nerve issues in the back of my neck BUT I'm sure it could definitely help, especially since I do notice triggers like when I eat frozen foods or cheese.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
mrsdrake625
DIS Veteran

I think the key to not having the grocery bill go way up is being willing to try new things and adjust habits. If you are willing to eat in season and cook a little differently and possibly cook more often, your bill may not go up that much.

We eat GF and try to do organic when feasible. What we have learned is while the GF and
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
mrsdrake625
DIS Veteran

(Ooops!) ... gf and organic versions of the foods we ate were more expensive, it was less money to change our eating habits just that little bit. I.e., gf bread or organic chicken are expensive, so we eat less bread and chicken now. Salad dressing that doesn't have nasty chemicals is more $ but we learned that tossing it in a bowl w the salad greens help us use less of it.

Good luck!! It's been a totally worthwhile investment on our end. Hope it helps your migraine.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

Yes, but I don't always practice it. I usually drink some "green" juice every morning (cuke, apple, broccoli stem, spinach, kale celery and pear/kiwi). Macular degeneration runs in my family so I get as many leafy greens as I can. Plus it does keep me full for a while.

For me clean eating, is avoiding lots of junky, sugary, and nutrientless foods, but I'd be lying to say I don't indulge here and there. My newest addition to better eating is replacing dairy milk with almond or coconut milk. Also, trying to use different flours and less white flour. A little at a time.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
kinntj
DIS Veteran

I plan on clean eating during Lent. I'm first doing a sugar detox for a week to help wean off that processed stuff.

Our Kroger has organic chicken, but no organic beef. I do buy regular beef, but try to eat less 3oz. Once a week and lean as it can come.

We're back from our June 2014 Aulani trip!

Currently reading: Gone Girl
2014 Book challenge: 12
Insurgent, Allegiant, Eat Sleep Move, Unbroken, The Rosie Project,
kinntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
The reason why I asked about stores like Whole Foods is because of the meat issue. We now mainly do all grocery shopping at Walmart, which does not offer organic cage free meats. We have a Publix right near the Walmart but I haven't looked into their meat selections.

My migraines won't disappear totally because there's nerve issues in the back of my neck BUT I'm sure it could definitely help, especially since I do notice triggers like when I eat frozen foods or cheese.
Before you jump into the fray of "Whole Foods" & "eating clean" I suggest you cut out processed foods first.

Also look into migraine trigger foods and eliminate those.

It is better to begin replacing things that you normally eat and substitute that for fresh food.

It takes time. Good Luck!
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: