Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Does anyone make yogurt?

Today was my first attempt at making yogurt. Didn't go so well! It was so runny. I googled how to thicken yogurt and it said with powdered dry milk. It was all grainy and just didn't taste right. Then it occurred to me I would have had to add it before it cooled...duh! I am going to try again tomorrow. Any tips for a thicker yogurt? I only incubated it for 4 hours. Maybe that was part of my problem too?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Princess Serendipity
If It's Not Baroque

Homemade yogurt is usually much less thick than storebought because of the thickeners they add.

However, you can make thicker yogurt by holding the milk at about 200 degrees for ten to thirty minutes. The longer you incubate it, the thicker it will be, but it will also be tarter and can get a grainy texture. I just strain mine with coffee filters (cheesecloth would probably be better) in a colander in the fridge overnight and all the whey comes out, so it's super thick.
Princess Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
JessB320
DIS Veteran

When I make it I use a little from my last batch to start the new batch. Whenever I use store yogurt to start a batch it comes out thin. We like very thick creamy yogurt so thus is what I find helps

- use yogurt from the last batch to start the new batch
- simmer the milk at 190 for around 20 min
- the fresher the milk the less tangy
- incubate for 8-10 hours ( this is where fresher milk helps it from getting to tangy)
- DONT TOUCH! Once you start to incubate dont move it, stir it anything just leave it!
- at the end you can always use cheese cloth and. Strain it for a bit as well if it's not thick enough
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Serendipity
Homemade yogurt is usually much less thick than storebought because of the thickeners they add.

However, you can make thicker yogurt by holding the milk at about 200 degrees for ten to thirty minutes. The longer you incubate it, the thicker it will be, but it will also be tarter and can get a grainy texture. I just strain mine with coffee filters (cheesecloth would probably be better) in a colander in the fridge overnight and all the whey comes out, so it's super thick.
How does the coffee filter/colander work? Can you explain this?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320
When I make it I use a little from my last batch to start the new batch. Whenever I use store yogurt to start a batch it comes out thin. We like very thick creamy yogurt so thus is what I find helps

- use yogurt from the last batch to start the new batch
- simmer the milk at 190 for around 20 min
- the fresher the milk the less tangy
- incubate for 8-10 hours ( this is where fresher milk helps it from getting to tangy)
- DONT TOUCH! Once you start to incubate dont move it, stir it anything just leave it!
- at the end you can always use cheese cloth and. Strain it for a bit as well if it's not thick enough
Since I've never made yogurt before, I will have to use store bought as my stater. Any particular type/brand that works better?

If the yogurt gets too tangy, how would you sweeten it? I was thinking confectioners sugar? Regular sugar seems like it would be grainy? Unless you can put it in while the milk is still hot.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
lizabu
DIS Veteran

My SIL makes homemade yogurt all the time. It's really easy. All you do is fill a pot with milk. Add a heaping spoonful of yogurt to it. Stir. Cover with a warm, damp towel. Let sit out on the counter overnight. In the morning you will have yogurt.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
sissy1
Mouseketeer

Not sure if this will help...I make creole cream cheese, not yogurt, and I put a few drops of rennet in it (health food store). It thickens it up. Good Luck!
ME DH DS DD DDIL DGD FRIEND-Port Orleans Riverside Sept. 2011
ME DH Bay Lake Towers - Feb. 2012,
ME DH DGD-Bay Lake Towers- May 2012
ME DH DD FRIEND-Bay Lake Towers- Dec.2012
ME DH DGD- Wilderness Lodge- Feb. 2013
ME DH Boardwalk Villas- Sept-Oct 2013 for F&W
ME DH DD FRIEND- BLT-Dec. 2013 for Christmas- CANCELLED
ME DH-ANIMAL KINGDOM JAMBO HOUSE-FEB. 2014

GOING HOME
ME DH-BOARDWALK VILLAS-SEPT.-OCT. 2014 for F&W
ME DH-Bay Lake Towers- Dec. 2014 for Christmas
sissy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu
My SIL makes homemade yogurt all the time. It's really easy. All you do is fill a pot with milk. Add a heaping spoonful of yogurt to it. Stir. Cover with a warm, damp towel. Let sit out on the counter overnight. In the morning you will have yogurt.
Wow! I was heating the milk, cooling it, incubating, then refrigerating. I didn't have experience, was just following a recipe I found online. How was the consistency of this yogurt? Similar to store bought?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy1
Not sure if this will help...I make creole cream cheese, not yogurt, and I put a few drops of rennet in it (health food store). It thickens it up. Good Luck!
Interesting! I will have to look into that.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

My Wife makes yogurt and has written extensively about it on her site. You can find it here.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama

Since I've never made yogurt before, I will have to use store bought as my stater. Any particular type/brand that works better?

If the yogurt gets too tangy, how would you sweeten it? I was thinking confectioners sugar? Regular sugar seems like it would be grainy? Unless you can put it in while the milk is still hot.
Do you have any of the first batch left? Use that even if its thin that's ok ! I use honey to sweeten mine. Wait until its completely done but still warm . I heat the honey a bit is its easy to stir in. Adding vanilla or almond extract at the same time is really yummy to!!
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama

Wow! I was heating the milk, cooling it, incubating, then refrigerating. I didn't have experience, was just following a recipe I found online. How was the consistency of this yogurt? Similar to store bought?
It will be the same as whatever yogurt you used to get it started. Homogonized milk will make a thicker yogurt than skim too. The way my SIL makes yogurt is the old school method. Basically the original way people have been doing it for hundreds of years.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the info!!! The website really helped. I've got one batch incubating and another batch going the "old fashioned" way. DH will or sure be rolling his eyes when he gets home!! Surely with 2 different methods, one will be successful.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
mnrose
DIS Veteran

4 hours is not long enough. I incubate mine (in my oven, with only the light on for heat) for 7-8 hours. I have found this ideal. I then cool in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours, and then "strain" it through a cheese cloth lined colandar for 2-3 more hours. This makes yogurt the consistency of greek yogurt, which I personally prefer. I get about one quart of yogurt from two quarts of milk.

Also, what kind of starter did you use? You must use a very high quality, plain yogurt as your starter. I used Mountain High the first time, and my own yogurt thereafter. 2 Tablespoons yogurt to 2 quarts of milk.

Finally, did you heat the milk to at least 180 degrees, and then cool to between 105-110 before adding starter? If your milk was too warm, you could have killed off the bacteria in the starter.

I make yogurt 2 times a week. It is ridiculously easy, and I've never had a batch be "bad."
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Would a colander with extremely small holes work the same as the cheese cloth in the regular colander? Or is it very important that I go buy actual cheese cloth? Batch 2 is currently incubating. I was planning to move it to the refrigerator at 11pm. That will be 7 hours.

I used plain oikos Greek yogurt as the starter.

According to my thermometer, the milk never got hotter than 200. I kept it at 200 for 30 minutes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: