Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
havoc315
DIS Veteran

What is your favorite lens?

Just wanted to start a new discussion..
Those of us who shoot interchangeable lens cameras...

Our lenses are our babies. We learn their special characteristics. Each behaves differently, each has its place.

Our favorite may become our favorite simply because it is the most practical, a solid regular zoom 2.8 lens. Maybe it's something unique like a tilt shift or fisheye.

My favorite is not a particularly practical lens..... At least not in all situations.
It is a 28-year-old Minolta 200/2.8 prime lens. It has a broken focus limiter switch. It has a loud old screw drive focus mechanism. And being a prime lens stuck always at 200mm, it's not as convenient as a zoom lens.

So why do I love it?

baseball-56.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

Sun Flowers at the Pool by Havoc315, on Flickr

Lorikeet by Havoc315, on Flickr

April flowers by Havoc315, on Flickr

zoo-113.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

Because even at 28 years of age, the lens's sharpness and resolution is almost magic. The bokeh is absolutely gorgeous.
And while the lens is not tiny at all, it's a fraction of the size of a "convenient 70-200/2.8. So I get the fast low-light/action performance of a 70-200/2.8, in the size of a medium kit zoom lens.

It's far from convenient, but I love the image quality so much from the lens, that I keep it on the camera far more often than a 200mm should be on the camera. In fact, I have 70-210 and 70-300 zoom lenses that I almost never ever use anymore.

So that's my favorite lens. The lens I'm particularly glad I bought, well worth the extra few $$$ compare to what I usually spend on lenses.

So what's your personal favorite?
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

My favorite lens is the Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 Art. It stays on my camera 90% of the time. I find that I would need a strong reason to not use this lens. The Nikon 50 mm f/1.4G is also in my bag. Though I've been using that less since I got the Sigma. The focusing is much faster than the Nikon. I just really love this focal length on a full frame.

Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
My favorite lens is the Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 Art. It stays on my camera 90% of the time. I find that I would need a strong reason to not use this lens. The Nikon 50 mm f/1.4G is also in my bag. Though I've been using that less since I got the Sigma. The focusing is much faster than the Nikon. I just really love this focal length on a full frame.
Beautiful shots, and I agree it's a wonderful walk-around focal length.

It is really telling, the favoritism to prime lenses by some, while so often we see the masses asking about, "what camera has the best zoom."
Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

I would have to say my favourite right now would be the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8. It's most definitely my sharpest zoom lens.

14 - 1 by SkaGoat, on Flickr

Helianthus Lemon Queen by SkaGoat, on Flickr

Never Shall Their Glory Fade by SkaGoat, on Flickr

Sam by SkaGoat, on Flickr

Riley in the Park by SkaGoat, on Flickr

Backyard Game by SkaGoat, on Flickr

Last edited by SkaGoat; 08-15-2014 at 07:00 PM.
SkaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

My favorite and most used lens is the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II. It is on one of my cameras 100% of the time. I am never without it for the obvious below reasons of being the most versatile lens for motorsports (IMHO!).

IMGP1287 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP1281 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP1165 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP1173 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP1382 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP1128 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP1152 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

PS These are pretty much right out of the camera with reduced resolution.

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 08-15-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Mine would be the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8. Love having a prime that has a wider angle; and the minor zoom range is just a plus. But I'm absolutely loving how the lens performs.

The Soul Harvest by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The Way To Innovate by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The Disney Prestige Collection - Fantasy by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Hunting The Hunter: Zam Wesell by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Pretty astonishing that 3 totally different Sigma lenses have already been mentioned....
I've never owned or used a Sigma lens, but I suspect that may change in the near future.

No surprise that all the selected lenses are fast aperture. Though I am surprised nobody has mentioned anything ultrawide yet.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

While there are a lot of folks who prefer to stick with OEM lenses, Sigma does provide a quality product at a more reasonable cost. Another words, "more bang for the buck". I honestly believe that a great photographer (which I do not claim to be!) can shoot with about anything and capture a good image, however better equipment does make things easier. While I keep a consumer weather resistant 18-55 in my bag for inclement weather, when I'm working I only use fast lenses. Once you use fast glass its difficult (at least for me) to adjust back to variable aperture lenses. I like to keep things simple.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
nbaresejr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Pretty astonishing that 3 totally different Sigma lenses have already been mentioned....
I've never owned or used a Sigma lens, but I suspect that may change in the near future.

No surprise that all the selected lenses are fast aperture. Though I am surprised nobody has mentioned anything ultrawide yet.
I am going to add another Sigma lens to the party.

Currently my favorite lens is the one I use most often. The Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS HSM. For what I shoot I need the flexibility of a zoom and these focal lengths seem to be perfect for this. This lens was also my workhorse for my last Disney trip and I suspect it will be again for my upcoming trip in November.

Here are some examples from this lens.
Light it up! by Nick Barese, on Flickr

[/url]Bethpage Black #18 Pano by Nick Barese, on Flickr

Flags of Everest by Nick Barese, on Flickr

Sorcerers Hat by Nick Barese, on Flickr
nbaresejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
jfinke
DIS Veteran

Canon 70-200L f/4 IS. I really like it on my full frame camera.

However, I would like to get my hands on one of the Sigma Art Primes. I may have to rent one for our next trip.
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #11
PythonFan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Though I am surprised nobody has mentioned anything ultrawide yet.
I got a lot of mileage from my Nikon 14 - 24 f/2.8 during our last WDW visit in March and during our recent Alaska cruise.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
fractal
DIS Veteran

My favorite lens cost me about $60. It's a used Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4. First off, I love the way it looks on my NEX-7.

I have no autofocus and the aperture has to be adjusted on the lens - so I lose the "ease of use" factor. However, I've found the manually focusing to be not only more challenging ( and fun ) but I've gotten to the point where my hit rate is higher than AF. I've used this lens at lacrosse games and dance recitals.

When I first started getting serious with photography and started reading articles and reviews I would often read comments on how a lens would have a certain "character". I never quite understood this until I started using the Minolta Rokkor. Yes, it can produce annoying Chromo Aberration but the results look more "film like" to me than digital. Wide open at f/1.4 and you can gets some "dreamy" shots.

I find the bokeh smooth and very appealing.

But the characteristic that I enjoy the most from the Rokkor is the colors it produces. They are rich, deep and as I said before, film like.

These two shots are from a family cookout. The first one I completely missed the focus but kept it because I love the color.

Working on the files in Lightroom is interesting. I find that I cannot manipulate the image nearly as much as I can when using an image shot with a native lens. The "range" I can process a RAW file is about half of that of a RAW file from a native lens. This means the final image is very close to how it was originally shot.

Although the Rokkor is my favorite lens - it's not the lens I have on the camera most of the time due to the challenges of operating almost fully manually. However, when I don't feel lazy and have it on and take the time, I love the results.

Last edited by fractal; 08-17-2014 at 10:27 AM.
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
MarkBarbieri
Semi-retired

That's like asking "what is best, pizza, bacon, or chocolate." I love most of my lenses when I use them in the situations where they excel. I'd hate to show up at an indoor party with my 300mm f/2.8, but I love taking it to sporting events. On other hand, while I love using my 24mm f/1.4 at parties, I wouldn't want to rely on it as my main lens for a portrait shoot. I like the versatility of a fast zoom like the 70-200 f/2.8 but prefer primes when I don't need the extra versatility of one lens that covers a wide range.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBarbieri View Post
That's like asking "what is best, pizza, bacon, or chocolate." I love most of my lenses when I use them in the situations where they excel. I'd hate to show up at an indoor party with my 300mm f/2.8, but I love taking it to sporting events. On other hand, while I love using my 24mm f/1.4 at parties, I wouldn't want to rely on it as my main lens for a portrait shoot. I like the versatility of a fast zoom like the 70-200 f/2.8 but prefer primes when I don't need the extra versatility of one lens that covers a wide range.
Of course different lenses have different purposes. Everyone that has answered, owns and uses multiple lenses.

To go to your analogy, someone may really enjoy pizza and bacon, but chocolate has a special place in their heart.

Favorite lens... Which lens brings you the most sheer joy to use, or holds a special place in your heart and collection. If you changed systems, which lens would you miss the most.
May be your most frequently used lens. Or may even be a lens you rarely use, but gives you great joy. ( such as a macro).

It's pure discussion among enthusiasts. There are no right or wrong answers. But I find most serious enthusiasts have a favorite lens or 2, that goes beyond the simple convenience of the focal length.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Fractal.. Now that's a "favorite lens"-- based truly on love of your craft and the unique character of the shots. I see lots of technical "flaws"-- vignetting, cat's eye bokeh, etc -- but in your final products, those all lend a special character.
And I agree that the color rendition is very nice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: