Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
undchefreak
Mouseketeer

Solo trip success!

I just returned from my first solo trip, and it was fantastic! I had 4 days and nights at Disney, and I made pretty good use out of each of these.

The biggest accomplishment that I had was going to all four parks through the day and visiting all but one desired attraction. I started with Hollywood Studios, and got a fast pass for TSM at about 8:55. While waiting for the time to come, I visited ToT, RnRC (single rider line took 6 minutes from exiting ToT to exiting to finishing ride), Star Tours, Backlot, and Movie Ride. I rode TSM and made my way to Epcot via the boat.

When I arrived at Epcot, I found the FP at Sourin' was 6 hours out, and the wait was 100 minutes, so I skipped it and did the single rider line at Test Track. This ride had the second longest wait of the day at 35 minutes (75 posted for the Single rider line). After finishing this ride, I got lunch at the new French bakery (yum!), then went to Figment and Captain EO. I went to try the school bread in Norway, which was also delicious.

After Epcot, I made my way to the bus stop to swing over to Animal Kingdom (I can't remember where I switched buses, but I was alone on the way there, even though it was open for another 5 hours that evening). I got in the stand by line for Expedition Everest (I've never seen all the "artifacts" before, it was pretty fun and only about a 15 minute wait). The info sheet didn't specify that EE had a single rider line, so when I got to the front of the line and saw it, I decided that I'd have to ride again . After a 15 second wait, I was on the ride again. I rode the twirl ride, Dinosaur, and the dinosaur Dumbo, and I was off again on my way to Magic Kingdom, which I walked to from the Contemporary.

I got to MK around 7:00, and the park was open late for Extra Magic Hours 9:00-11:00. I morned the absence of the Main Street bakery, but stopped when I found the cinnamon roll at Gaston's Tavern. They've added some maple frosting to the normal cream cheese frosting, and it makes me cry that I can't have that stuff every day. I was able to check out the part of Fantasyland that is finished now and rode the Ariel ride, along with Space Mountain, and the Haunted Mansion before realizing I had 20 minutes before all the food places were about to close. I grabbed a quick bite at Columbia Harbor House (I think...) and then went to enchanted Tales with Belle. I had no idea what I was walking into. I assumed it was a character meet, but I heard the cast member at the entrance to the line say that it was like nothing else at Disney. I thought that sounded interesting enough to stand in line for. 55 minutes later, I agree completely. It was silly, but fun. I'm not a "kid person," but the kids were having so much fun that they were almost cute.

By this time it was 10:35, I was tired, and my hips were trying to jump out of my body, so I grabbed the bus back to Saratoga Springs and slept like a baby. One very productive day.

I spent the next day touring the Monorail and DVC resorts, then went back to the parks for another day. My favorite part of Disney is the World Showcase, so for my second and final park day, I visited all the things that no one else will do with me, specifically the movies and shows. This was much more laid back, and I got to ride Soarin' twice in the morning.

Both park days were great, but I'm not sure how many times I'll attempt the 4 park day again.

1st Disney Visit - DL 1991 stayed with family (as a child)
1999 May Pop Movies
2009 May DW Offsite
2012 Sept Coronodo
2013 new DVC member!
2013 Jan Split stay SSR and OKW
2013 Oct DL at VGC
2014 Jan OKW
undchefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
stink
Mouseketeer

So Happy to Hear you had a great time ! My first solo trip is coming up this May. I will be at BLT, hope my trip is as successful as yours !

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
ludari
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear another successful solo trip. I really enjoy solo trips and I can't wait until my next one to WDW in November.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
MichelleWDWfan
Mouseketeer

So glad to hear u had a great time solo!

I love my solo trips! Amazing u did 4 parks in 1 day...not for me I like to stay put and do 1 park per day!

I'll be there in less then a month for my 6n/7day solo trip

Me DS 18

March 2009 - AS Movies, March 2010 = POP, August 2010 - POP, March 2011 - POP,
Dec 2011 - POP (MVMCP), July 2012 - POR, March 2013 - POP, Sept 2013 - POP (MNSSHP), March 2014 - AS Sports
MichelleWDWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
DonnaL
DIS Veteran

I've only done one solo trip and it was actually sort of a semi-solo....I guess I would call it? Last week of January, 2011 for four days....our youngest son was participating in the Disney College Program for the spring semester and had been working almost 4 weeks at that point. DH couldn't go with me, so I did a solo trip....sort of......since our son actually was already there....however, I was pretty much on my own since he was working every day. He worked all day or mid-day shifts since he was assigned to work the Back Lot Tour at HS and it is one of the few attractions which closes by 7 or 8 p.m. at the latest. We did get together every evening and he stayed with me at SSR rather than his CP apartment at Patterson Court for two of the nights I was there and just went to work from SSR. I had a great time doing whatever I wanted all day long and just wandering the parks myself. One day I took a book to AK with me and just found a quiet path and bench and had a very relaxing hour or two just reading in Africa!! I would love to do it again sometime.....maybe our 11 year old grandson will decide to apply to the College Program in a few years and I'll have the opportunity again!! Both DH and I did visit him again in March, 2011 for several days and we took our grandson with us on that trip.....it was a great trip....because by that time our son was a seasoned CM!
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
jtishere
Earning My Ears

Sounds like you had a great time. Very inspiring for my first solo trip this March!
All Star Movies September 2012
Coronado Springs March 2013
Animal Kingdom Lodge October 2013
DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic July 2013
jtishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
ariamac
Mouseketeer

So glad you had an enjoyable trip. Just returned from my first solo... and would definitely go solo again!

"Never look back. If Cinderella went back to pick up her shoe, she wouldn't have become a princess."
ariamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
ckelly14
Lurker

I hear ya...

Just completed day 1 of my first solo trip (here for a conference) and was able to do the following I have never done before at Disney:

Hall of Presidents
American Adventure
Stop at any random street performer ( Mariachi band,Chinese Acrobats, A Capella singers) without someone complaining
Waited for a hour for lunch without whining (BOG- and it was worth the wait!)
Get there for rope drop and see the ceremony (never possible with my kids)
Eat a dole whip at 10AM

Going to Animal Kingdom tomorrow- plan to do no e-ticket rides and just see shows (except, perhaps, EE)
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
ckelly14
Lurker

Positives on my 2nd day:
Dinner at Jiko- sat at the counter and had a great meal. Perfect option for solo traveler
Having a margarita right before Expedition Everest!
Single rider line for EE- waited no more than 5 minutes, rode 4 times
Dinner at BluZoo

Negatives:
Lego store Saturday night
Having a margarita right before Expedition Everest!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
DreamstobeImagineer
Earning My Ears

Hi, I came across you're thread just surfing the forum. I live in Tampa, and I have an annual pass. I've been about three times alone. Not overnight but still daylong trips. Most of the time I'm on a mission to get a gift or something, but I still feel like Disney solo is a catch 22. You are so right in getting to do what you want when you want etc, but every now and then I'd go to get in line for a ride and think I really miss my friends. I've found the cast members who actually speak when you're waiting for something are pretty awesome, but sometimes when you get to the front and they ask how many, I feel so judged lol.

Past Trips: Several as a kid, 10/07(off property), 07/08 (off property), 12/08 (POP), 05/09 (off property), 10/09 (Boardwalk,MNSSHP), 12/09 (Coronado,MVMCP), 03/10 (Coronado), 05/10 (Coronado), 06/10 (Coronado), 07/10 (Contemporary), 10/10 (Yacht Club, MNSSHP), 12/10 (Polynesian), 02/11 (Beach Club), 05/11 (Sports, EEC), 05/11 (Boardwalk, D23 Hunt), 08/11 (Beach Club), 10/11 (Caribbean Beach, MNSSHP)
DreamstobeImagineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
DMass
DIS Veteran

I'm glad to hear everyone's solo trips are a success. I'm hoping to do one this September. If I don't chicken out again that is.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
ckelly14
Lurker

Dreamstobeimagineer:

I don't think I'm advocating a solo trip if you have friends and family to otherwise accompany you. It's just occasionally nice to do exactly what you want, whenever you want, where ever you want and accept the occasional funny looks. Do a couple of Disney trip with kids in tow and I'm sure you'll understand!

Also, for those of you that have to choose going to Disney solo or to not go at all, I say go for it! I received more good conversations then funny looks...
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
HarrisonTinkerBell
Machinist Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
Just completed day 1 of my first solo trip (here for a conference) and was able to do the following I have never done before at Disney:
(impressive list deleted)

I've done numerous solo trips, too, and have a list, as well:
  1. Ride ToT 13 times on Friday the 13th
  2. First rider of the day at SplM
  3. First rider of the day at RnRC
  4. Keys to the Kingdom tour
  5. Stay at a $29/night motel
Also, did All Four Parks In One Day, In Reverse Order of Their Opening, With Last Two Attractions Visited Being Derived From Ones I Had Experienced Eight Years Before the Opening of Walt Disney World Resort. (For the win, what and where were they?) A few years later I did manage to drag a game DSis on an A4PI1D (All Four Parks In One Day) marathon, but the visitation order was different to take advantage of EMH.

Being solo even had advantages in getting to/from central Florida: On several flights, I was able to upgrade to First Class and use the upgrade for my own seat.

Don't get me wrong: I really cherish the visits with DDad, DMom, DSibs, DNephews, and DBiL. (The next one will be soon; we've all got Junior Woodchuck ranks for our lanyards; the Sehlinger guidebook is already being referred to as the Junior Woodchuck Guide.) But it's also great to fly solo now and then!
1973.08: CR | 1989.04: Offsite | 1989.11: DV Treehouse | 1990.09: Disney Inn, Dolphin | 1992.01: Offsite | 1995.05: AS Sports | 2001.12: Offsite | 2002.01, .05, .10-11, .12: Offsite | 2007.12: POFQ | 2010.07: BWV, SSR |
2013.03: POP | 2014.01: CS

My DSis's and my blog: http://cjwdwblog.limewebs.com/
HarrisonTinkerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
princessdawn2011
Mouseketeer

I CAN go with family, friends are tough b/c of their children & cost, I still go alone. I like it. Going w/ DBF for my b-day, will be solo for 2 1/2 days and looking forward to it. Different ideas & agendas. And if I want a Mickey Bar for Breakfast, no one glares!!! 😳
princessdawn2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: