DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
DISNEY FIX
DIS Veteran

Any DVCr's from the Poconos?

We may be looking to find a little getaway place in the Poconos....just don't know where exactly. So...... I figured I would ask the opinions of my fellow mouse nuts for a little review or direction.
Any help will be appreciated.
Chris
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
ssawka
DIS Veteran

For a family or a couple?

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
DISNEY FIX
DIS Veteran

Family of 4. Kids age 11 and 7.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

Not sure what your budget is but we grew up going to Skytop, I still take my kids out there, it's an amazing place. Another great spot is Woodloch Pines, again, if it fits your budget. Keep in mind that both are priced to include all meals.

Of course there's the Great Wolf Lodge if you want an indoor water park but I'm not a huge fan unless you can go at an off time. I always found it busy, loud and not much fun but many people love te place so to each their own!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
disneymagic316
DVC Owner since 2000
BWV VB SSR HHI

We spent every summer in the Poconos while I was growing up. My parents eventually bought a second home there that my brother now owns.

I'm not sure what type of place you're looking for but you can rent a home for weekends, weekly, etc. in Big Bass Lake. They have a clubhouse, indoor and outdoor pools, tennis and basketball courts, lakes.

We also rented at Countryside in Bartonsville. There are also many places in Marshall's Creek.
SSR Oct. 17-19 2014,
OKW Oct. 19-23,2014
Last WDW trips:
OKW- March 27-April 2
SSR Oct. 23- 28, 2013 OKW Oct. 28-29,2013
HHI- Oct. 29-Nov. 1, 2013
DCL- '01 Eastern Caribbean, ' 03 Western Caribbean, '05- Mexican Riviera, '07 Mediterranean, '09 Tortola,
2011 Inaugural Alaska Cruise, Aug 5,20102 NYC Canada-New England, Disney Fantasy- July 20-27,2013.

Next DCL- Disney Dream Oct. 2014
disneymagic316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
DISNEY FIX
DIS Veteran

We are looking for a log or chalet style. Gated community sounds good, are they????????? Somewhere to spend the holidays and some weekends. While giving the kids to explore the winter sports. Who doesnt like doing a little snowmobiling or quading once in a while.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
ssawka
DIS Veteran

I grew up in the Poconos, but I'm not really sure what the different areas offer in terms of buying homes. You don't mention where you live, which makes a big difference in the Poconos. The Poconos is a fairly large and spread out area.

Anyway, one of the most popular places where I grew up was Lake Wallenpaupack, but it was primarily owned by New York visitors. Another popular place was The Hideout near Hamlin. That is a gated community. If you are located closer to Philadelphia, then you'll probably be looking at the southern part of the Poconos. I knew some people that owned in the Jack Frost / Big Boulder area and liked it. Parents of a friend of mine had a chalet in that area that we visited, it was very nice.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
DISNEY FIX
DIS Veteran

Thanks...we are on Long Island if that helps.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
disneymagic316
DVC Owner since 2000
BWV VB SSR HHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY FIX View Post
We are looking for a log or chalet style. Gated community sounds good, are they????????? Somewhere to spend the holidays and some weekends. While giving the kids to explore the winter sports. Who doesnt like doing a little snowmobiling or quading once in a while.
Big Bass Lake is a gated community. There's also lots of activities during the summer( and a limited schedule during the winter) that are run by the community.

You can ice skate on the lake, ands do some ice fishing. I believe they also have sledding and snow tubing on the property.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like any more info.
SSR Oct. 17-19 2014,
OKW Oct. 19-23,2014
Last WDW trips:
OKW- March 27-April 2
SSR Oct. 23- 28, 2013 OKW Oct. 28-29,2013
HHI- Oct. 29-Nov. 1, 2013
DCL- '01 Eastern Caribbean, ' 03 Western Caribbean, '05- Mexican Riviera, '07 Mediterranean, '09 Tortola,
2011 Inaugural Alaska Cruise, Aug 5,20102 NYC Canada-New England, Disney Fantasy- July 20-27,2013.

Next DCL- Disney Dream Oct. 2014
disneymagic316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
dlm1017
Mouseketeer

I live in the Poconos (Marshalls Creek) near Shawnee. I have lived here for 20 years, a transplant from NJ which I still commute to everyday to work. I still forget sometimes that people come here to vacation?? It has changed so much since I first moved here. If I were looking to get a place I would go farther west. My daughter lives in the Lake Harmony area, close to Big Bass Lake. It’s a very pretty area ,not technically gated but there is a gate house that collects 1$ to drive through. I believe that residents would get some sort of pass. I know they have an indoor water play area, lake, golf, skiing nearby in Camelback (which also has a huge waterpark in the summer) plus you are close to Jim Thorpe a small historical town which has events at various times throughout the year. You can hop on the road and head out to Knobles which is a small amusement park or head to Dorney Park a much bigger amusement park. I bet with the amount of homes on the market now you could pick up something quite reasonable and I have seen small cabins and chalets in Lake Harmony.
I hope this helps
Good Luck,
Dana
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
I grew up in the Poconos, but I'm not really sure what the different areas offer in terms of buying homes. You don't mention where you live, which makes a big difference in the Poconos. The Poconos is a fairly large and spread out area.

Anyway, one of the most popular places where I grew up was Lake Wallenpaupack, but it was primarily owned by New York visitors. Another popular place was The Hideout near Hamlin. That is a gated community. If you are located closer to Philadelphia, then you'll probably be looking at the southern part of the Poconos. I knew some people that owned in the Jack Frost / Big Boulder area and liked it. Parents of a friend of mine had a chalet in that area that we visited, it was very nice.
The Hideout is kinda going down the drain the past few years. I live in the Scranton area and come up to the Hamlin Wallenpaupack area alot and I wouldn't look at anything in the Hideout.

Just my opinion.
jimim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
DougandBeth
Mouseketeer

This could not be any better timing. I literally spent the entire night last night doing the exact same thing! We live in CT and looking to purchase a small cabin in the poconos and everything that is reasonable is in hideout. It sounds like not the best place to buy. Our budget is between $75k - $110k as this will be a vacation house
2007 (February) - Saratoga Springs - DVC
2007 (July) - Old Key West - DVC
2007 (November) - Beach Club - DVC
2008 (July) - Beach Club - DVC
2009 (March) - SSR - DVC
2010 (March) - AKV - DVC
2011 (February) - SSR - DVC
2011 (February) - DCL - Dream
2012 (April) - OKW - DVC
2013 (April) - SSR - DVC
2013 (August) - SSR - DVC
2014 (March) - BWV - DVC
2014 (April) - OKW - DVC
DougandBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
The Hideout is kinda going down the drain the past few years. I live in the Scranton area and come up to the Hamlin Wallenpaupack area alot and I wouldn't look at anything in the Hideout.

Just my opinion.
Hmmm, that's not surprising, since I haven't lived in the area for over 20 years. My family is still up there though, however we generally don't discuss housing in the area.

(Me) (DD 12)

Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

If you have time visit Bushkill Falls...it's gorgeous!!!

We took our kids last May and they loved it..

here's a video I made about it... Bushkill Falls, PA

As someone else mentioned... check out Knoebels Grove too while in the Poconos!!! It's a wonderful free admission amusement park.

I also made a little series of videos about Knoebels on the 4th of July last summer!!!

Knoebels Grove part 1 (there's 8 videos total)
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperwendy View Post
If you have time visit Bushkill Falls...it's gorgeous!!!

We took our kids last May and they loved it..

here's a video I made about it... Bushkill Falls, PA

As someone else mentioned... check out Knoebels Grove too while in the Poconos!!! It's a wonderful free admission amusement park.

I also made a little series of videos about Knoebels on the 4th of July last summer!!!

Knoebels Grove part 1 (there's 8 videos total)
It's funny that you mention Knoebel's Grove along with Bushkill Falls. I remember as a kid, there was actually an amusement park at Bushkill Falls. It was called Magic Valley.

(Me) (DD 12)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: