Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Scribble Kitty
Mouseketeer

If you registered for the convention I think that's all that would matter.
Scribble Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan&LandonsMama
Yes that's the disclaimer Im worried about. But I registered for the convention so how can they track my tickets to the convention? Ill have the paper saying I am registered?
Registered is not the same as " participating or attending." So, technically, yes, you are in violation of the T&C for the use of these tickets.

Will they know? No clue.
Can they find out? Probably.
Is it. Worth the risk? That's only a question you can answer.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan&LandonsMama View Post
Yes that's the disclaimer Im worried about. But I registered for the convention so how can they track my tickets to the convention? Ill have the paper saying I am registered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
Registered is not the same as " participating or attending." So, technically, yes, you are in violation of the T&C for the use of these tickets.

Will they know? No clue.
Can they find out? Probably.
Is it. Worth the risk? That's only a question you can answer.

- Dreams
I'm with Dreams. I'm learning over my years here at the board that I'm a bit of a stick-in-the-mud when it comes to following the rules for things like these. As Dreams said, will they find know? Not sure. Will anything happen if you don't really attend the conference? Couldn't tell you. It's up to you to decide whether or not you'd like to find out.

I feel odd about utilizing discounts that shouldn't technically apply to me. The one exception would be the Gay Days rates because the organizers of that event posted on these boards that they were okay with people using their discount even if they didn't go to the sanctioned events.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
Dylan&LandonsMama
Earning My Ears

The more I read the disclaimer I think the more I am with you guys on that. i can't risk $700 worth of tickets being cancelled over a $150 discount. I'm just going to buy regular 3 day park hoppers. Thanks for the feedback!
Dylan&LandonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #20
dmband
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan&LandonsMama View Post
The more I read the disclaimer I think the more I am with you guys on that. i can't risk $700 worth of tickets being cancelled over a $150 discount. I'm just going to buy regular 3 day park hoppers. Thanks for the feedback!
Same here
I could have prob got convention tix but the risk wasn't worth it
My cm friend said (at wdw) they have print outs of different tix options and such and if they wanted it would be very easy to see if a convention was taking place at the time where discounted tix are available.
I didn't want to risk $1200 to save a couple after talking to her
Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #21
sheetz
DIS Veteran

You said you registered for the convention so I'm assuming this convention is open to the public? According to the disclaimer you should be fine if you have a registration confirmation. If it really bothers you why don't you just attend the convention for a short period if it's free?
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Brassy5000
Good Livin'

Ok, as a side question to this: Has anyone ever used legit/valid tickets bought at a discount for a convention they were attending or participating in, and had a problem using those tickets?

B5K
Brassy5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
Scribble Kitty
Mouseketeer

I've used convention tickets before when I was attending an event that hosted discount tickets. The Tinkerbell Half Marathon sold tickets on site at the Disneyland Hotel Convention Center, and I've attended an unoffical theme day that had convention tickets as well. I wasn't asked any questions when I used them.

I dont recall the disclaimer being there before, but it has never pertained to me so I might have overlooked it.
Scribble Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassy5000 View Post
Ok, as a side question to this: Has anyone ever used legit/valid tickets bought at a discount for a convention they were attending or participating in, and had a problem using those tickets?

B5K
I highly doubt they have the means or the wherewithal to check for it. What are they going to do exactly? You think they might require a check-in at the convention itself to validate the ticket? The most they might conceivably do is ask to see convention credentials, but a lot of people leave them in their hotel rooms.

Asking for ID is easy. Grilling someone about a convention is beyond anything that a CM is likely to do.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
roobug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
Same here
I could have prob got convention tix but the risk wasn't worth it
My cm friend said (at wdw) they have print outs of different tix options and such and if they wanted it would be very easy to see if a convention was taking place at the time where discounted tix are available.
I didn't want to risk $1200 to save a couple after talking to her
I have gone to conventions that I have paid for at WDW and decided to skip different speakers or workshops to go to the park instead. I figured it was my choice as I paid for the workshops; I would be mad if I wasn't allowed into the park after paying for the conference and the ticket. And I know I'm not alone in the skipping out on parts of conferences to go to the parks so I don't see how it could be enforced?
roobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

I use Ares Travel agency for DL tickets. Authorized seller, and they recommend it on the very reliable Mousesavers website.

3 day is $215 it says.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
Brassy5000
Good Livin'

An interesting situation is ... noticing that a conference that falls within the wheelhouse of my job description, takes place at the convention center for the same dates my next trip is planned ...

Conference discount rates are $200 for 3-day hopper.

Brassy5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #28
dmband
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobug View Post
I have gone to conventions that I have paid for at WDW and decided to skip different speakers or workshops to go to the park instead. I figured it was my choice as I paid for the workshops; I would be mad if I wasn't allowed into the park after paying for the conference and the ticket. And I know I'm not alone in the skipping out on parts of conferences to go to the parks so I don't see how it could be enforced?
That's not the issue
The issue is when you are there early or after the convention
For example next week is dapper days
The discounted tix are only good for certain days
Ca you get away with using them a day or so early/late? Prob yes but if you get caught and they take your tickets then the saving isn't worth it
So it is pretty easy to enforce - they have a print out saying the convention tix are good from ___ to ___
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #29
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
That's not the issue
The issue is when you are there early or after the convention
For example next week is dapper days
The discounted tix are only good for certain days
Ca you get away with using them a day or so early/late? Prob yes but if you get caught and they take your tickets then the saving isn't worth it
So it is pretty easy to enforce - they have a print out saying the convention tix are good from ___ to ___
You use the phrase "getting caught" like we'd use to describe ticket brokers. The conversation is about people having convention tickets and using them normally.

I highly doubt they're going to put that much thought into convention tickets. If I had some sort of promotional ticket that wasn't valid for that day and I brought it in, the most I'd imagine a CM doing is telling me that I can't use it and come back some other time. People "play hooky" when they attend conventions all the time. You don't think there are people playing golf, sleeping in, or even going to DL? Heck - I used to go to the biggest convention in Las Vegas, and I'd take my break during the middle of the day and maybe even play a little blackjack, where I saw other players with convention badges.

Once I went to get a WoC FP for my wife while she slept since I'd heard that we could do it. When I put her ticket in the machine the slip said it wasn't a valid FP. The CM didn't confiscate the ticket or anything even though it wasn't used at the entrance. They're not interested in confiscating tickets for "breaking the rules" unless they suspect their being shared.

Several of these ticket plans are even designed for families of convention goers, where I'm pretty sure an all-day schedule is allowed.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
bcla
DIS Veteran

Here's the details:

http://www.disneyconventiontickets.c...parks/tickets/

They have the twilight (after 4 PM) tickets and all-day tickets. They specifically mention that they are for convention attendees as well as their "family and friends" with a limit of 8 per convention goer.

I'm not advocating that anyone try to game the system, but I'm not sure how they know the difference between someone simply tagging along or someone who is attending a convention. If they have to ask the child of a convention goer for convention credentials while mom or dad are at some meeting or convention, then they are improperly describing the tickets for "family and friends".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: