Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
juki
Earning My Ears

internet question

has anyone tried the Internet on board? I know we can buy it (do you have to purchase in the public spots too?) but how is the quality? my husband will have to do some work while we are on the magic and where wondering how good the Internet will be out on the ocean.

juki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by juki View Post
has anyone tried the Internet on board? I know we can buy it (do you have to purchase in the public spots too?) but how is the quality? my husband will have to do some work while we are on the magic and where wondering how good the Internet will be out on the ocean.
The internet is slow, and pricy. It's likely that you won't be able to do any big downloading processes, and checking/sending email is slow.

Plan 1 - $.75 per minute
Plan 2 - 100 minutes for $55
Plan 3 - 250 minutes for $100
Plan 4 - 500 minutes for $150

Your minutes start being used as soon as you log onto the computer until the connection finally breaks, so there could be minutes you are charged with that you aren't actually using.

If you bring your own laptop, the charges are the same. With your own laptop, you could find a free WiFi spot in the ports (or minimal charge) that would be quicker.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

No matter where you use it onboard, you have to pay for it. it's not free.

It's notoriously slow and isn't known to work well. Streaming sites are blocked, so if he needs those for work, he will likely not be able to use them. Best thing to use it for is sending basic e-mails (hopefully without pictures).
Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

I never tried teh WiFi on the magic, but I did use the computers on the magic. I think I bought 10 minutes which was just long enough to book a couple plane tickets. It was painfully slow although I have been in some airports and hotels with equally slow internet. You are not going to be able to stream anything on it.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
juki
Earning My Ears

he doesn't need to stream. mostly emails but a whole bunch of them. too slow is not good. cc is one of our ports and than port canaveral and key west. on the coast he can use is phone for work. guess cc is just gonna be as bad. is it gonna be any slower in the room?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by juki View Post
he doesn't need to stream. mostly emails but a whole bunch of them. too slow is not good. cc is one of our ports and than port canaveral and key west. on the coast he can use is phone for work. guess cc is just gonna be as bad. is it gonna be any slower in the room?
I would think the speed will be the same ship-wide, as you'll still be using the same satellite connection.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

EXTREMELY slow. No streaming and no way to do skype or anything like that. No wifi available at CC. While docked at PC, you can use regular cell service (if he has the ability to tether or can do this from his phone).

Key West, should be no problem in finding free wifi or using your cell phone.

Regarding while cruising, the phone is EXPENSIVE to use, and even worse, data service. Last thing he wants is $500+ cell phone bill.

Bottom line, he needs to plan on being unplugged.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

My DH will also need to access Internet. Most companies will pay the charges, though (at least his will). Maybe yours can check on that?
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
jnsma
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I normally bring my laptop just to check on things once or twice a cruise. SLOW is the key word.

My process was to connect to the WiFi, download all my email and then imediately disconnect. Then I'd go about my business responding to things. Once I had all my replies, I'd reconnect to send everything.

On my last trip I did notice things were worse than previous years. I think the actual speed is the same, it is just that most people these days don't think twice about sending huge attachements or pictures to everyone. Same slow connection, bigger files.
You should have him check his email perferences to only download pictures or attachments if asked.
jnsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
kiford
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsma View Post
My process was to connect to the WiFi, download all my email and then imediately disconnect. Then I'd go about my business responding to things. Once I had all my replies, I'd reconnect to send everything.
This was the same way we operated but, even then, it was painfully slow. It doesn't matter whether you use a laptop or tablet or phone or whether you use it in your room or in public areas - it's really slow. Sometimes worse than others and you can't anticipate when it will be good and when not. From what I understand, it's pretty much the same for all cruise lines as most of them use the same technology amdp/or service.

I also tried calling a friend looking after my cats, hung up as soon as I got her voice mail and it cost me $7. Either wifi or phone use - you can operate if you really want to but you have to expect high cost and slow service.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (49) Him (52)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
juki
Earning My Ears

company will pay for Internet. he is self employed and I'm a stay at home mom with ds (3) so if he has to close the whole time we will loose all the income. I read up on it in travel magazines but they I guess didn't tell the truth. thanks for all the answers, we will work around it.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
kiford
Mouseketeer

My husband's company paid for his internet too so that wasn't a big issue for us. Mostly it's the frustration. The way we dealt with said frustration (with the exception of one evening in our stateroom) was to go to the Cove Cafe, order a coffee (sometimes one "enhanced" with more interesting ingredients), read while waiting for the connection. Or: sit by adult's only pool with mojito, reading while waiting for connection and download/upload of e-mail. It's amazing how much more relaxing handling e-mail can be with a lounge chair, sun and a drink. Given that this wasn't an activity much different than when we weren't waiting for an internet connection, it does help!

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (49) Him (52)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: