Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #61
stargazer2892
Mouseketeer

Looking through my family tree I have some pretty unique ones.
Sherwood was my maternial grandfather his father was Clyde. Going further back I have a Hepzibah, Mehitable, Annis-Agnes, Tryphosa, Walsingham. Then I can go REALLY far back to Ancient Wales and throw in Gwenwynwyn ApOwain
Gruffydd ap Llywelyn Fawr, I'm just thankful that none of those names made it this far. The joys of Ancestry.com
Dh's maternal grandfathers name was Rosario Giuseppe LastName, he went by Joe.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #62
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

DH's Dgrandmother's name was Ellender Elizabeth. Everyone knew her as Ella. The family name for boys on DMIL's side of the family is Melvin (Richard Melvin, Johnny Melvin, etc.-none of them are under the age of 35). It kind of makes me glad we never had a son; I escaped being put in the position of using "Melvin". Although "Melvin" isn't all that bad compared to a lot of other names out there, I can only imagine the torture a kid with the middle name "Melvin" would endure at school!

Oh, and my Dgrandfather's name was Homer Arthur (or Arthur Homer, depending upon who you ask-there's some confusion as to which is actually correct. He was born at home in the early 1920's, so the record-keeping was a little murky.). My uncle (his son) was named Homer Dennis; he went by Dennis. Both are now deceased. My Dgrandmother's name is Myrtle Laura. My Dgrandfather used to call me "Little Myrtle Laura", but, when he said it, it sounded like "Little Myrtle R". Oh, how I miss him. My Dgrandmother had 4 older sisters (2 are deceased), and their names were/are Alma, Ellen, Irene and Gladys. Not too bad. Their baby brother is Charles.

My DB is Donald Mack II. Named after our father.

I have a cousin named Trudy, and when we were little (she's about 3-4 years younger than I am), I used to call her Gertrude, which aggravated her to no end (that's why I did it, lol). She'd stomp her feet and scream "My name's not Gertrude!". I love that girl...lol.

Last edited by momof1princess; 02-08-2013 at 11:15 PM.
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #63
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

My mom had an aunt Arthella and an uncle W. Just the letter and the period, no actual name. They all called him Dub, lol.

It's funny when you look at what people named their kids "back in the day", and then look at all the weird names that get made fun these days. Not a new trend by any means, lol.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #64
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Maternal grandparents - Emelda and Antoine
Paternal grandparents - Odum and Beulah( best grandmother ever)

Husband's maternal- Ouida Mae

Others- Ozema, Clothilde, Ida, Armand, Alberta, Lasseigne, Didier
Where I grew up, most of the these were fairly common among my Cajun friends' parents and grandparents, along with Marie, Therese, Aristide, Alcide, Gaspard, etc.

To the poster with the grandmother named Ellender, I knew a fair number of those, too. There is a very politicially powerful family of that name in the area south of New Orleans in Terrebone and Lafouche parishes, and they often use it as a first name on the distaff side of the family.

FWIW, I originally thought that the OP meant unfortunate SURnames. The two close to me that come to mind are Hoare (pron. exactly as you would imagine) and Snowert (pron. "snort").
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #65
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

My mother is Elaine Margaurite and her sister was Wilma Frieda Helena.

I had an acquaintance in college that was seriously dating a man named Melvern. He was Melvern the II and he desperately wanted a Melvern III. She wasn't sure she would marry him, just for that reason. She was trying to convince him to name a son Melvern and call him Trey. I lost touch, so have no idea how it turned out!

The only family name passed around a lot in our family is Joseph and that's a pretty decent name, in my opinion!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #66
Juliegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
In doing geneology I think the worst one I came across was Festus. Who would name a sweet little baby FESTUS?!?!?!
LOL - we called our son Festus as a joke when he was in the womb. Now he is Christopher.

My exhusband introduced himself to me the first time we met as Aloysius. I told him that was my dad's name. (We were both joking.)

In reality my grandmother's names were Gertrude and Bayla. Neither of which got passed on.
Juliegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #67
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Dh's family has a Dorcas.

His father's family had a tradition of naming all the firstborn males names that stared with "H." Which gives you Homer, Harold, Harvey, Herbert and Hugo.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #68
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle
My mother is Elaine Margaurite and her sister was Wilma Frieda Helena.

I had an acquaintance in college that was seriously dating a man named Melvern. He was Melvern the II and he desperately wanted a Melvern III. She wasn't sure she would marry him, just for that reason. She was trying to convince him to name a son Melvern and call him Trey. I lost touch, so have no idea how it turned out!

The only family name passed around a lot in our family is Joseph and that's a pretty decent name, in my opinion!
LOL... DSIL and her hubs only had 1 child, a little girl. I strongly believe she was afraid of having a 2nd b/c if it was a boy he was insisting on naming it George ( his passed down family name). So, she refused to have another!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #69
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by notursula
fwiw, i originally thought that the op meant unfortunate surnames. The two close to me that come to mind are hoare (pron. Exactly as you would imagine) and snowert (pron. "snort").
rofl
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #70
bellebud
DIS Veteran

my Nana's name was Agusta, she was called Gussie. That's the only unusual one I'm aware of.

dd13 talks about what she'll possibly name her future kids, and Jane is my mom's and my middle name, so dd likes Gussie Jane, which I think is adorable (but I'm sure I'm biased towards the name cause I adored my nana)
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #71
The Wise One
Mouseketeer

My husband's middle name is Lamar. *shudders* his grandma is named Ouida. My grandmother's middle name is Willie. Yeah we're not passing on family names...
1st WDW Trip: November 2009 - Coronado Springs
2nd: December 2011 - All Star Movies
3rd: January 6th, 2013- Pop Century Resort
First DCL: May 25th, 2013- FANTASY!
4th: June 2013 - Art of Animation
5th: November 2013 - Coronado Springs
The Wise One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #72
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Have to let the banana dance
Thanks everyone for making me feel normal today!
Dork here I know!

Rex

Just a Rebel Homeschooler I guess....
DisneyMommyMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: