Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

my son can do whatever he wants. If he did this with a stranger I'd be ok. But it was my sister and she was kind of like that guy on Pinnochio telling the kids they don't have to work or go to school, just play all day. There is a ton of family history here, I guess. If she called I would not hang up on her. I'd try to work it out. I just can't bring myself to call her.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Reddy
Scrapbooker

I would talk to your son - is he happy doing what he is doing??
does he want help to go back to school??

what does he want??
talk to him since he is in the middle of all of this
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
brockash
DIS Veteran

Last edited by brockash; 02-05-2013 at 03:55 PM.
brockash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

After reading what happened... Personally, I wouldn't want to talk to her again. She manulipulated (sp?) your son (21 is technically an adult, but when you were 21, were you as "smart" as you are now? No.) and convinced him to do things that she wouldn't allow her own children to do. Yes, it was his decision, but she shouldn't have put it out there for him to make. Do something to me, but don't mess with my kids. JMHO
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi

My son is find doing what he's doing for now. We had cut him off financially unless he went back to school, learned a trade or made some serious plans that involved his future. And even then we'd only offer minimal support. I know it seems like the issue seems like it's about my son but it's not really. Imagine you did lots of things for a family member and went them and asked them to do you one favor. They responded by doing the exact opposite in order to benefit themselves.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
My son is find doing what he's doing for now. We had cut him off financially unless he went back to school, learned a trade or made some serious plans that involved his future. And even then we'd only offer minimal support. I know it seems like the issue seems like it's about my son but it's not really. Imagine you did lots of things for a family member and went them and asked them to do you one favor. They responded by doing the exact opposite in order to benefit themselves.
So your ds decided to work for her, knowing you would cut him off. Did I miss something in one of your previous posts, did you say he didn't want to work for her or he did want to?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I didn't speak to one of my brothers for 13 years over a situation involving my son (also an adult). This rift created a difficult situation for my other brother who avoided both of us rather than taking sides. And of course it affected my parents and all of our children.

I felt he was wrong. For 13 years I held onto that. Then he had a difficult situation come up in his life and my elderly mom, once again begged for me to make the first step since it was obvious my brother would not.

And I did. I reached out, told him I was sorry he was going through a rough patch. It meant the world to him. We will never be best buds and I still think he was wrong (and he has in a roundabout way commented that he was wrong) but I feel better. Let's forget that it's easier for my parents and my children; I feel better. The load of angst I felt was gone the second I reached out to him.

So yes, I would move on. For yourself.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
bethy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
If the person's history, or current actions with others, indicated that they would continue to be truly hurtful over and over then, o I would not put myself in that position again. If it was a one time thing, then yes I would move past it (unless it was truly, truly bad--like abusing my child).
This is my view as well. Which is why I currently choose not to have a relationship with my brother. Fool me once, shame on you . . . fool me dozens of times then shame on me but eventually I will finally learn and set up some personal boundaries.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
So your ds decided to work for her, knowing you would cut him off. Did I miss something in one of your previous posts, did you say he didn't want to work for her or he did want to?
I cut my son off before he moved out there. He could live with us for a small rent. He could borrow my car. But he would pay his other bills and there was a time limit to how long he could live with us unless he was doing something. We offered to help him open his own restaurant (he didn't want to go into food), help pay for school, or pay for a trade school. But we were trying to squeeze him financially into growing up a bit. He had lived on his own for two years but ended up very broke. He was ambivalent about working for her. He didn't want to at all at first but she kept promising him more things. The restaurant cost a lot more then she thought and he's not getting much now.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I didn't speak to one of my brothers for 13 years over a situation involving my son (also an adult). This rift created a difficult situation for my other brother who avoided both of us rather than taking sides. And of course it affected my parents and all of our children.

I felt he was wrong. For 13 years I held onto that. Then he had a difficult situation come up in his life and my elderly mom, once again begged for me to make the first step since it was obvious my brother would not.

And I did. I reached out, told him I was sorry he was going through a rough patch. It meant the world to him. We will never be best buds and I still think he was wrong (and he has in a roundabout way commented that he was wrong) but I feel better. Let's forget that it's easier for my parents and my children; I feel better. The load of angst I felt was gone the second I reached out to him.

So yes, I would move on. For yourself.
This is what i"m afraid of. It's part of the reason I"m considering calling.
Speaking to her again is not the same thing as ever feeling the old closeness and trust.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #26
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Me, yes. But I'm of the male gender. Wife, probably not.
I don't understand this answer. Are you saying the men are more forgiving than woman in general, or just that you are more forgiving than your wife?
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #27
bethy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
This is what i"m afraid of. It's part of the reason I"m considering calling.
Speaking to her again is not the same thing as ever feeling the old closeness and trust.
This is a good way to look at it. There are many types of relationships you can have with your sister. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. For example I don't really have an ongoing relationship with my brother that I nurture and invest in. But I am more than happy for the sake of family harmony to see him at family events and make small talk, etc. No biggie and no sweat for me.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #28
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I would have a very hard time with this. Yes, your son is 21 years old. Some 21 year olds are mature and have good forethought. Others are immature, have to learn the hard way, and fall prey to glitz and glamour and what sounds like "easy street."

Your sister took advantage of him plain and simple. She encouraged him to step away from a job where he was actually learning to be a chef, dragged over to her restaurant (something she wouldn't let her own kids do), and made it impossible for him to seek other career paths by overscheduling him. You conveyed to your sister that (and I'm paraphrasing here) that YOU were the one shoveling out the tough love here by making your son try to support himself so he could see the light that he needed to either complete college or go into a skilled trade program. She definitely undermined that. If your son was 30, I'd say it wasn't your business. But your son is 21 (and probably younger when it first started happening) and a bit wayward and immature.

As your sister, I think she owed it to you to step back and stay out of it. At the very least, she should have been up front with your son about what his duties were going to be and how much he'd be working.

I'm not opposed to a reconciliation with your sister; however, reconciliations need two people to admit their faults. The bigger burden is on her. She owes you an apology for "bribing" your son. A simple, straight up offer to your son was the ONLY thing she should have done. She wined and dined and courted him over to her.

As for you, I'm not actually sure you've done ANYTHING wrong so I don't even know how I would broach that reconciliation.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #29
Ciao Mickey
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
I'm a blabbermouth and have no self-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPCITY View Post
Depending on what the person did, yes, I would. I have a few family members now that I pretend to get along with for the sake of my grandma. When she's gone (hopefully a long, long time from now), I'm done with them. I just decided that I love her more than I despise them.

This.
Ciao Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I'd move on from this.

I do think there are some things you can't move past, or even times when moving on means cutting people out of your life and wishing them the best. I wouldn't include this as one of those times.

You're son made the decision to do it. Your son made the decision to stay. Maybe he loves it? Maybe he doesn't care about the money? He's not 40. He's still got plenty of time to go back to school and figure it all out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: