Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
mebbradley
Patiently waiting for the next trip to Disney!
 
mebbradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 925 miles from Walt Disney World.
Posts: 1,253

American Girl Doll Hospital

Has anyone had to send their little girl's doll to it? Granted, I'm not so little anymore but I still have my doll that I got for my 6th birthday. She sits on my bookcase in my office.

Sadly, I went to set her up today and her leg had been severed off.

So she's headed to the Doll Hospital. Anyone sent their doll there? Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!
__________________
mebbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,821

They'll take very good care of your "baby". I don't remember what tragedy happened to DD's doll, but it turned out A-OK! This was probably 10 years ago. I think the doll came home with a paper hospital gown, and a get well balloon.
__________________
signing off - clh

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
RitaE
DIS Veteran
 
RitaE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,187

Well - you can certainly send her off to be fixed.
But leg attachments are actually one of the easiest repairs out there. I use mini bungee cords - usually cut one in 1/2 per leg. Since you are doing one leg you'll likely want to do both so she can stand tall once again with no floppy leg syndrome.


Cord:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_146453-23805...rds&facetInfo=

and ferrules that can be tightened down. Here they are on EBAY but I've found them in Lowes too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Metal-Fa...-/271006196212

You'll also need a hair dryer to soften up the vinyl.

If you Google, directions are widely available out on the internet. There are several video tutorials on YouTube.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
campinggal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,116

Ahh...been through a few AG traumas over the years.

If the leg just fell out of the socket- it is just because the rubber bungy on the inside got old. As RitaE said above- TOTALLY fixable by yourself thanks to YouTube videos. That is what I did for my DD's doll. I was totally paranoid I would ruin it and the taking her head part off was a little disturbing but the video was a great help.

If the leg is something different and you want to go the hospital route- we've done that too for a different injury. It was very efficient and as mentioned above, she was well cared for.

I love that you have your doll in the office. I bet my DD will be doing that with one of hers...she has gotten 10 years of enjoyment from them so far.
campinggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran
 
tripletsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 972

We have done this...more than once! It's American Girl Doll central in my house. They'll send the doll back to you all fixed and wearing a hospital gown. It's so cute. We've also had the doll's hair fixed while she's at the hospital. Once my daughters take it out I can never get it back as good as it originally looked. They fix it perfectly though! You'll have no problems and your doll will look as good as new.
__________________
Me DH DD8 DD8 DD8DS 2
tripletsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
disney314
Mouseketeer
 
disney314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 109

On our first Disney Cruise in 2000 my DD's AG doll lost her arm, it was so sad all through the cruise we had her arm tied on as well as we could until we got home and then we sent her to the hospital. Not sure how it is now, but she returned in a little hospital gown and was all fixed. Your baby will come back fine
__________________
disney314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
yanilat
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 65

How much do they charge?
yanilat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
mebbradley
Patiently waiting for the next trip to Disney!
 
mebbradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 925 miles from Walt Disney World.
Posts: 1,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinggal View Post
Ahh...been through a few AG traumas over the years.

If the leg just fell out of the socket- it is just because the rubber bungy on the inside got old. As RitaE said above- TOTALLY fixable by yourself thanks to YouTube videos. That is what I did for my DD's doll. I was totally paranoid I would ruin it and the taking her head part off was a little disturbing but the video was a great help.

If the leg is something different and you want to go the hospital route- we've done that too for a different injury. It was very efficient and as mentioned above, she was well cared for.

I love that you have your doll in the office. I bet my DD will be doing that with one of hers...she has gotten 10 years of enjoyment from them so far.
I've had mine since I was 6 and probally played with her daily from then untill I was at least 12. She's such a sweet reminder of my childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
Well - you can certainly send her off to be fixed.
But leg attachments are actually one of the easiest repairs out there. I use mini bungee cords - usually cut one in 1/2 per leg. Since you are doing one leg you'll likely want to do both so she can stand tall once again with no floppy leg syndrome.


Cord:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_146453-23805...rds&facetInfo=

and ferrules that can be tightened down. Here they are on EBAY but I've found them in Lowes too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Metal-Fa...-/271006196212

You'll also need a hair dryer to soften up the vinyl.

If you Google, directions are widely available out on the internet. There are several video tutorials on YouTube.
I am entirly too nervous with her to do that but thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2 View Post
They'll take very good care of your "baby". I don't remember what tragedy happened to DD's doll, but it turned out A-OK! This was probably 10 years ago. I think the doll came home with a paper hospital gown, and a get well balloon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney314 View Post
On our first Disney Cruise in 2000 my DD's AG doll lost her arm, it was so sad all through the cruise we had her arm tied on as well as we could until we got home and then we sent her to the hospital. Not sure how it is now, but she returned in a little hospital gown and was all fixed. Your baby will come back fine
Thanks!!! I'm so nervous to ship her away but the positive reassurances on here have helped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanilat View Post
How much do they charge?
It's like 32.00 for her leg to be reattached plus shipping. But considering that my mom bought her in '96 and this is the first thing she's had go wrong with her....Well worth it! I want to be able to play with my future kids with her.
__________________
mebbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.
 
katrina1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,400

My sister got Kirsten the year she came out, back when American Girl was catalog sales only and owned by American Girl and not Mattel.

Her hair got really ratty over time, but sister kept her and eventually gave her to my niece a few years ago, but sent Kirsten to the hospital first. She was nervous as she's more valuable than the Mattel version, but they took great care of her, she looked brand new and was even mailed home in a hospital gown.
__________________
WDW 1976 day tripsWDW 1983 Idrive HotelWDW 1988 Band Trip, stayed in DaytonaWDW 1994 Idrive hotelWDW 1997 Wildnerness LodgeWDW 1998 Boardwalk VillasDL 1998 Offsite
WDW 1999 Best Western, just went to DTD WDW Jan 2004 Pop Century & Animal Kingdom LodgeWDW Feb 2008 Pop Century WDW Nov 2012 POFQ F&WF, MNSSHP & MVMCP!
March 2013 POFQ/AKL Kidani & RCCL Freedom of the Seas Nov 2013 Queen Mary & Disneyland
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty
 
pyrxtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,500

just remember that if you fix her yourself and then have to send her in to American Girl for something and they discover your fix, they can deny repairing her at all and send it back to you as is.

I sent one doll in for repairs and she came back great. I still have 3 more that need to be sent in, all original dolls, but have been putting them off due to money. My nieces aren't old enough for them yet anyways.

As for the hair issues..... I found that soaking the hair in fabric softener gets out any tangles or snarls without pulling and you can do pretty much anything you want with it after that. To get the curl back you wrap it around something wooden and then use your blow dryer on hot and it will set it back. Too long will burn it up since it's plastic so be careful.
__________________
AKV Jan 5-10, 2011 --- Father/Son trip June 2-5, 2011 AKV's --- DL Aug 31-Sep 5,2011 --- December 24, 2011 - January 2, 2012 . http://confesseddisneyaddict.blogspot.com/
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
mommyjam
Mouseketeer
 
mommyjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 181

She will be fine. My daughters doll had to be sent to the hospital..... well part of her anyway. She had been playing with her and pushing her in the baby swing outside. I called her in for lunch and she left Samantha sitting in the swing. Meanwhile daddy decides to mow the yard, he pushed the swing to go underneath it and Samantha fell out right under the lawn mower. All that was left was her head, it was not damaged at all. So off her head went to the hospital. Once there I received an email that the head would be slightly different shade than the new body, would we mind if they just sent me a brand new doll. So a brand new Samantha came back in the hospital gown.
mommyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.