Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

MIL Christmas Gift Thread 2010

First of all, thank you to everyone who PM'd me, or who posted on the thread that was started in support of my previous threads. For the others that love to bash me every year I just want to clarify that, like every year, 1) I am NOT Ungrateful, and 2) Love my MIL dearly and am NOT making fun of her.

So here goes.

I guess I will start with myself. I got a square box composed of woven corn husks with some decorative beading on top. Inside the box were some clear plastic packets with some "unknown" substances in them. They look kind of like little seeds and spices, but nothing is labeled. I am hoping that is IS spices and not illegal substances because she bought it on her cruise in Jamaica. I also got some stud earrings with Abraham Lincoln on them! Where does one find something like that??

My poor 17 yr. old son. So there he was, looking hopeful because his box was quite large, but to his dismay, what was inside but a HEATED DOG BED! Apparently my son had mentioned to her that since we gave him our old king size bed which is too big for his room, and therefore covers the only heating vents, his bedroom is very cold. She thinks it is a heated pillow for humans and that it will keep him toasty warm at night. However, I am not sure that he is too interested in sleeping in or on a dog bed. The other thing he got was a set of 7 different glue-on moustaches. He has recently started shaving and she said she thought he might want to try out different moustache styles in case he ever wanted to grow one.

My 21 yr. old DD got some interesting stuff too. She got a shower cap that looks like a cupcake for one. MIL knows that DD likes to bake cupcakes, but my daughter definitely does not like to wear them on her head, either in or out of the shower. I don't think she ever worn a shower cap in her life. She also got some hair accessories. She got a pair of barrettes that have different color foil stars hanging from them. My daughter is in the middle of interviewing for PhD psychology programs, and nothing says "I need more help than my patients" than those barrettes. She also got a note pad that looks like the chalk outlines of famous murder victims. WTH? The last thing she got was a deck of "Spooky Portraits" playing cards. Each card has a different picture on it of a creepy looking person.

Then there's my 15 yr. daughter. I am still scratching my head over this gift. She got a winter hat that looks like a dachshound sitting on her head. It ever has ears that hang down like ear flaps. It has matching mittens that look like the dogs paws. I can't figure this out because we don't have a dog, and she has never said she liked dachshounds. I can assure you that there is not another freshman wearing anything like it at school. She also got a book on architecture, which she has no interest in. I think MIL got confused with engineering, which she IS interested in.

That leaves my husband. He got a book called "How to Stay Alive in the Woods". This is puzzling because my DH is not a hunter or hiker or anything like that. I can't remember the last time he was actually in the woods. He also got a set of Star Wars coasters. Each one is in the shape of a different character.

So that's it. Not as bizarre as some years, but they still made us chuckle (in the car on the way home of course!). Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

No, those are SO SO SO funny! The earrings are killing me, as is the mustache set. Or maybe the dog bed is my favorite. In any case, thank you for a big laugh! And Merry Christmas to all of you!!
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
jen0610
DIS Veteran

If no one is a Star Wars fan, I know someone who would love the coaster.

You need to suggest to your son, that if he would wear his cookie monster jacket while laying on his heated doggie bed, he would stay nice and toasty warm.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Funny stuff! Where does one find such items?

I'm glad you posted.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Jill in Chicago
DIS Veteran

These are great! My MIL's Aunt Leta gave the most unusual gifts. The thing was, every year someone got something really cool. You just never knew if it would be you. LOL! Her gifts were usually a lot like the dog hat and matching gloves. Of course her heart was in the right place!
Jill in Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
shirleyb
I'm a lot funnier in real life.

Thank you for posting that! It's as much a part of my holiday season as Egg Nog!

It's not the rain that matters, it's how you dance in it.
shirleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
MnMomtoboys
DIS Veteran

Well you now have something to wear on presidents day.

MN: The land of 10,000 lakes and at least 1 idiot.
MnMomtoboys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
dislaney
faithlovepixiedust

Oh my! Where does one fine stud earrings with Abraham Lincoln on them?

Your son must be the favorite though, because personally I think he gets the best gifts. Cookie monster sweater, heated dog bed and different moustaches to try out - what more could a guy ask for?

Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays to your family!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
My2Cinderellas
DIS Veteran

Maybe not quite as over the top as previous years, but the dog bed for a pillow has me cracking up! Thanks for sharing

"I'd like to stop people from passing off narrow-mindedness and intolerance as family values." - Alan Shore, Boston Legal
My2Cinderellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Thank you for carrying on the DIS holiday tradition. It really isn't Christmas without your thread! Merry Christmas!!!
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
beachlover9395
Mouseketeer

For me, the Christmas season is now complete.

I'm so jealous of the Abe Lincoln earrings. Enjoy!

Hats off to Jeafl's MIL! I bow down to her incredible ability to find the most unique gifts on the planet. She never disappoints.
beachlover9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Thank you for posting, I needed the chuckle. I wonder what was in your box from Jamaica.... Maybe if you know someone in law enforcement they can test those for you.

Merry Christmas!!!
DWGal210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

The dachsund hat and the dog bed. I see a theme.

The moustaches for a 17 yo boy.

Where in the world does she find these things???
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
PUZZLDY5
DIS Veteran

It is Officially CHRISTMAS everyone!!!

Me Dh Ds Ds Ds Kira Buster Cassi Xavier
PUZZLDY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
muffyn
"hmmm*

thank you soooo much for posting this!

it is a much loved Diz board reading tradition

ya gotta love your MiL for her variety. she probably thinks really hard about her purchases.
I wonder though, its almost like she reads your posts each year on the boards & has to top what she bought before

btw, are there any other kids in the family ( hubbys siblings?) or anyone else you have asked what "mom" got them?

muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: