Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

UPDATE, pg 3,New England, major NorEaster for Friday into Saturday!

Here we go...you ready?

Friday Snow Could Be Biggest Storm In 2 Years
By Terry Eliasen, Meteorologist, WBZ-TV Exec. Weather Producer
February 5, 2013 12:17 PM
Share on email 182
View Comments
Filed Under

Daily Headlines, Local, News, Seen On WBZ-TV, Syndicated Local, Watch + Listen
Related Tags

Accu-Weather, Barry Burbank, CBS Boston, FRIDAY, Melissa Mack, Snow, Storm, Terry Eliasen, Todd Gutner, WBZ, Weather
The 55th GRAMMYs

February 10th on CBS

Behind The Song
Jukebox Jury
Inside the Album of the Year
More GRAMMYs Features
BOSTON (CBS) - Before you accuse us of “hyping” up this storm potential on Friday, let me ask you this – would you rather not know what might happen?

Check: Interactive Radar | Current Conditions | Weather Blogs

There will be no hype here, just the plain old facts as we see them right now, about 72 hours ahead of any sort of storm on Friday.

First the basic meteorology. A large area of cold, Canadian high pressure is going to crest over New England on Thursday, supplying a significant amount of cold air, one obvious ingredient needed for a significant snowstorm.

While that is happening, two storm systems will be racing eastward across the country, one in the upper Midwest and another, more juicy storm, in the Deep South.

Originally, most weather models were keeping these two systems separate as they hit the Atlantic, not causing much of a weather story.

Now, there is mounting agreement between weather models that these two storms will come together and “phase” somewhere off the New Jersey coastline on Friday morning.

The rest of this blog will be written on the assumption that this phasing actually occurs, which is the most likely scenario at this point.

TIMELINE

Snow would begin during Friday morning, mainly light, not expecting a great deal of accumulation at the start given that it is during the day and relatively light.

The intensity of the snow would ramp up during the afternoon along with the east winds, especially along the coast, where gusts could reach 20-to-40 mph by late afternoon.

The peak of the storm would come Friday evening and night from about 5 p.m. through 1 a.m.

During this time frame snowfall rates could exceed 1 inch per hour in parts of eastern Massachusetts.

A strong east northeast wind, gusting to 50 mph or higher could create blizzard-like conditions near the coastline at times.

Thankfully, the tides are not astronomically very high, but the high tide to watch would be Friday night’s just before 10 p.m.

Driving conditions would be very hazardous during the Friday evening commute and only worsen Friday night.

ACCUMULATION

And of course the million dollar question – how much snow are we talking?

There is the POTENTIAL for well over a foot of snow in eastern Massachusetts from this storm IF everything comes together just right (which again is very possible).

Certainly a large area of at least 6-to-12 inches is possible for almost all of southern New England including the coastline.

This would be the biggest storm not only this year, but last year as well.

It would likely be the biggest storm since February 1-2 of 2011 when Boston received 10.4 inches of snow. It sure has been a while!

Now all of that being said, we still have 72 hours before this storm arrives and the phasing of two storms and two jet streams is a complex process.

No doubt there will be some changes to the forecast in the next 24-to-48 hours.

We would stress the importance of staying tuned at this point to updated forecasts and beginning preparations for a stormy Friday.

You can follow Terry on Twitter at @TerryWBZ.

Last edited by Jillpie; 02-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
RN2003AZ
Mouseketeer

Just as long as the roads are clear by Saturday evening. I have a date at Mohegan Sun with a certain Mr. Jon Bon Jovi!

Last edited by RN2003AZ; 02-05-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
RN2003AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting!! I just switched on the news to see if it will hit us.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
DISNEYFANRI
Is going to get BACK on that wagon!

I'm ready - bring it on!!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

maybe if us Mainers get out there and huff and puff we can blow it out to sea...

We really havent had a bad winter yet...

My niece lives in upstate NY and they had 22 inches from the lake effect snow on the great lake part...I said to them..."AND YOU STILL LIVE THERE" hahaha..

I am not a snow lover...and when we get more then 8 or so inches...I get yucky feelings..

everyone get ready for the snow

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
PelletierBears
Mouseketeer

I love a good storm! Of course I don't believe the weather forecast this far out but I'll have to tune in tonight and see what they say.

Thanks for the heads up!

1982 - offsite, 1996 - offsite, May 2001 - AKL, June 2006 - WL, June 2007 - WL, July 2008 - WL, June 2009 -Split stay: Pirate rm CBR & Poly Club Level!, December 2010 -Split stay: POP & WL, June 2012 - Split stay: CSR & WL, January 2014 - Split stay: AKL Club level & Poly, January 2015 - AKL Club level
PelletierBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Monte Cristo
I hear their eyes are everywhere

Snow blower is waiting for it.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Look at the Tri-State Weather page on FB. They have some wild weather maps. I just want either nothing or 8+ inches. Tired of these dinky 1" and 2" sprinkles.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Oh joy. DH is in DC, so thanks for the heads up. I just texted him and told him he might want to head home Thursday instead.
And of course our curse of the plow guy continues, this years plow guy broke the powertrain in his truck. We are now 4 for 4 in terms of cursed plow guys. ERGH!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
SueInBoston
DIS Veteran

not good :(

Hoping it gets blow out to sea...or wherever....

Chinese New Year weekend....lots of travel
SueInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumba View Post
maybe if us Mainers get out there and huff and puff we can blow it out to sea...

We really havent had a bad winter yet...

My niece lives in upstate NY and they had 22 inches from the lake effect snow on the great lake part...I said to them..."AND YOU STILL LIVE THERE" hahaha..
Earlier this week they were saying it'd be bad up here, Thursday night into Friday. I would LOVE to have school cancelled on Friday, but now it looks like we won't get any snow from this at all. We have NO snow right now; two days in the mid-50s last week, with rain, took care of it all. A bit of snow wouldn't be too bad!

We lived in Syracuse for 5 years, so I always watch the snowfall out there. Lake effect snow is the WORST! I don't knw how they stand it!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
DMass
DIS Veteran

They're saying 6-12 but it could be more or less depending on the track, but that could change between now and Friday.

And it's the 35th anniversary of the Blizzard of '78 for those that remember what a mess that was.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Cristo View Post
Snow blower is waiting for it.
Totally OT but is that a new little one in your life? Your dd is adorable and congratulations on your new bundle!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #14
Bearadise
My DW is a Bear-a-holic...

I'll just follow this snowplow till the weather warms up...

With respect for those "through drivers" heading South this Friday (02/08/2013), I hope this storm doesn't have a sister come next Friday (02/15/2013) when my clan begins it's drive South!
Best of luck to you drivers and good wishes sent for a safe trip!

-
Rich(Me) [DisDad #731] Cathy(DW) Samantha(DD) Matthew(DGS#1) Jackson(DGS#2) Brady(DGS#3) Chad(DS) Amber(DDIL) Zack(DGS#4) Zoey(DGD#1)
Disneyland: Multiple day-tripper 1979-1982 || WDW: Off-Property 1990 || WDW: Dixie Landings 1993 || All-Star Movies 2008, 2010 || Pop Century 2013 || Caribbean Beach-Jamaica 2013 ||
Art of Animation 2014.
Are you on Facebook? 'The Wheeler Clan at WDW' is! Please come visit our page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheele...33913320005732

Bearadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Well if we do get it, dd will be happy since she is going skiing. If we don't, I'll be happy
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: