Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
royal99
Earning My Ears

Saratoga v old key west

Noticed that Old Key west is favourite on here but don't hear much about Saratoga. Noticed that Saratoga comes out cheaper but looks slightly better, much difference? Do all apartments have balconies?

Both resorts you don't seem to be able to book through Thomson only on Virgin?
royal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Have you looked at booking it direct with Disney and getting your own flights? They should be both same price that way, no idea why UK agents charge different prices.

SSR is newer but smaller rooms, OKW has had a recent refurb of all the rooms. SSR has better counter service food.

We prefer OKW but others prefer SSR, you can't go wrong with either IMO.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
married2mm
DIS Veteran

We booked our stays at okw and ssr direct with wdw and complete Orlando.
They were both the same prices (2 bed villa).

The actual resorts are similar,but different!

Ssr has a bigger gym,but okw has one also.
We like olivias at okw.

We preferred okw also,but they're both lovely resorts.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
royal99
Earning My Ears

Thanks guys I would love to go direct but unfortunately we stupidly ask for Thomson Vouchers for our wedding present so are going to have to go through them and hope the shop sells Virgin holidays.

Thanks for the information on Old key west. Noticed that the dated rooms are the only real downside comments on trip advisor. Has the refurb been quite recently? Much changed?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal99 View Post
Thanks guys I would love to go direct but unfortunately we stupidly ask for Thomson Vouchers for our wedding present so are going to have to go through them and hope the shop sells Virgin holidays.

Thanks for the information on Old key west. Noticed that the dated rooms are the only real downside comments on trip advisor. Has the refurb been quite recently? Much changed?
All rooms were completed last year. New flat screen TV's etc.

Just read a review on tripadvisor, completely do not relate their comments to reality. I am sure some just register to put people off going somewhere.

Rooms are not dated they are replicating a Key West environment.
You also have to take into account Americans pay upto double the price for OKW & SSR compared to UK rates, I know I wouldn't pay US rates, they probably think its not worth what they paid (and probably right) I have never paid more than £117/nt including free DDP, I have been more than happy at that price.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
royal99
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
All rooms were completed last year. New flat screen TV's etc.

Just read a review on tripadvisor, completely do not relate their comments to reality. I am sure some just register to put people off going somewhere.

Rooms are not dated they are replicating a Key West environment.
You also have to take into account Americans pay upto double the price for OKW & SSR compared to UK rates, I know I wouldn't pay US rates, they probably think its not worth what they paid (and probably right) I have never paid more than £117/nt including free DDP, I have been more than happy at that price.
Thanks Wayne. All so true our prices are far better compared to our friends across the pond. Best I got through Virgin for flight, car, ddp, 14 day park tickets was £142 per night, of-course this will be more through the shop.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
orangetiggs
Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

Love love love okw, will be back in nov. rooms are not dated at all, flat screen tvs and everything.

Very spacious amd a womderful setting
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal99 View Post
Noticed that Old Key west is favourite on here but don't hear much about Saratoga. Noticed that Saratoga comes out cheaper but looks slightly better, much difference? Do all apartments have balconies?

Both resorts you don't seem to be able to book through Thomson only on Virgin?
They are on a par with each other overall and it really comes down to personal preference.

Our preference is SSR but here are some of the key differences...

OKW has bigger rooms (per sq ft) but they feel a little smaller because they have 2 double beds rather than a bed and pull out sofa bed. OKW has superior restaurant/food services.

SSR has the Spa, a bigger gym, it's quieter and it has a walkway to DTD.
Downside is the restaurant/food court are pretty poor. However, that is off-set by the close (walking distance) proximity to DTD.

The prices are around the same. I would book directly with Disney Travel Company for the best rate.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
royal99
Earning My Ears

Thanks again great info. Funny never really considered these resorts on previous trips but since coming on here its got me very interested.

Just a couple more questions whats walk time to downtown disney from old key west as I do like to walk? Rooms saratoga had a refurb recently?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Mrdudecool
Mouseketeer

We own at SSR and have stayed there a couple of times but each time we choose to book at OKW.

We love the place. The atmosphere is laid back and feels like a little community and we really like that.

The rooms are large compared to a lot of the resorts and with the recent refurb are pretty much brand new.

As many say, its personal preference as they are both similar we just prefer OKW. We also notice that buses to OKW seem better and not necessarily as packed as SSR. That is just something we have observed every time.

Whichever you pick, you will love!
Mrdudecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

SSR
When we walked it took us about 10mins from the paddock section.

I never thought I'd like SSR but I loved it!
The pools are fab, and the paddock pool had a brilliant QS bar that does really nice food.

The rooms are lovely, they are well themed but not over board on the whole horse thing!
I really like the lay out of the 2 bed but I have not seen a 1 bed.

I always thought because I never heard much about the place that it was it wasnt worth the stay but I found that I would go back to SSR in a heart beat.

I have Wayne to thank for guiding me to this resort and it was one of our best holidays and a firm favourite apart from AKl

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #12
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

SSR has more of a resort feel while OKW is more like a community.

SSR has the better QS - it is an actual restaurant with indoor seating where OKW has a walk up counter with about 6 picnic benches and is pretty much just standard fast food.

We like OKW however we have a car and I am happy to cook in the villa so the lack of a QS option doesn't bother us.

The other thing is OKW doesn't have lifts in most building however they are only 3 stories. I personally wouldn't want a 1st (ground) floor room as the vegetation is very established and can make the rooms dark.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #13
Mr Stoat
Mouseketeer

Remember SSR is a very big resort and you can end up a long way away from DTD so if that is important to you then request a room near DTD.

We have stayed in both, it is about an 8 min walk to DTD from the nearest rooms or a shuttle boat runs from around 10 in the morning across the lake. OKW has a water taxi that runs around every 20 mins, takes about 15 mins to get there. I think we both felt that OKW was the nicer feeling resort of the two for us.

We are DVC members so we usualy use our points and book our own flights which works out well for us as we can tailor it around our needs. However, last year we booked the room thru Disney as they had a 50% off deal for the accomodation and threw in free dining. So keep looking, they do have deals.
Mr Stoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at SSR and couldn't recommend it enough, it was great

Although we have not stayed at OKW and therefore cannot directly compare the two, we did go there for a nosey and when we were waiting for the bus from OKW to Animal Kingdom we ended up waiting for a rediculously loooong time.

This might have just been unlucky (everybody has different experiences!) - however the busses were running so frequently at SSR that we decided if ever given a choice between the two we would choose SSR based on the excellent bus service there.

Walt Disney World - September 2011 (Engagement Trip). October 2009 (21st Birthday Trip).
Disneyland Report Paris - 1995, Santa Fe / 2007, Explorers Hotel / 2010, Cheyenne / 2012, Newport Bay Hotel
Disneyland Resort California - April 2013
izzie-wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at OKW twice - lovely place.

Love the theme - tropical key west v SSR's victorian horseracing.

Main reason 2 beds in OKW as we have DD. I know alot of couples prefer SSR as 1 bed and a settee.

Both resorts have patios/balconies.

SSR is closer to DTD.

Agree i'd opt for whichever appeals the most - can't go wrong either way.

With trip adviser I tend to read the UK reviewers only.
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: