Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Disney Freak Numero Uno
Mouseketeer

Expedition Everest challenge

Hi everyone. I posted on the dis meets board but haven't gotten any responses. I just registered for the expedition everest challenge but would really like to meet up with other women who might be doing the race solo. It is probably more fun with others. Anyone?
Disney Freak Numero Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Freak Numero Uno View Post
Hi everyone. I posted on the dis meets board but haven't gotten any responses. I just registered for the expedition everest challenge but would really like to meet up with other women who might be doing the race solo. It is probably more fun with others. Anyone?
I've participated in numerous runDisney races and nearly half I have gone solo. I usually meet all sorts of people at the expo and just before the race. In fact, I met a really nice woman at EEC last year and we continue to meet up at races. If no one responds to your request just start talking to people at the expo or just before the race and I'm sure you'll meet up with another solo runner or a group of people. Race people are friendly and helpful especially those that attend the runDisney races.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

Last edited by ludari; 02-03-2013 at 11:13 AM.
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran

Count me in! I just registered and this will be my first rundisney event...I was a bit concerned about doing the run solo (ive done solo trips in the past) but from what I hear everyone is pretty friendly and there will be lots of other solo's...
*~PrincessBelle~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
ahoff
DIS Veteran

EEC was fun, I ran it a few years ago! I usually go to the races solo, but meet othere who are on my WISH team. You should go on the WISH boards here, go to the events/competition section and join one of the groups, you are welcome to join Donalds Defiant Dashers, or as we call ourselves, the Ducks. There were quite a few of us down for marahon weekend, besides two dinners, several of us were staying at PO, OKW, and SSR, and we met and walked to the start area
Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Disney Freak Numero Uno
Mouseketeer

Expedition everest challenge

Thanks for the advice about the wish board. I didn't realize that there were various event threads. Princess belle, would like to meet up. I will also try to find the thread and see what other groups have going on for that event.
Disney Freak Numero Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
jazzedancr
Earning My Ears

What does this challenge about?!?
jazzedancr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
ahoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedancr View Post
What does this challenge about?!?
It is a 5K race through AK, including some easy obstacles, such as jumping over hay bales and running through tires. And a cargo net to either climb over or crawl under. After the run you get a clue card and you run through AK again, solving five clues. It is all at night, and the park is open for runners and guests. There were no lines for the rides, my son and I rode EE until we couldn't walk. Would have liked more food options though.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
huskies90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoff
several of us were staying at PO, OKW, and SSR, and we met and walked to the start area
Sorry to go off topic. I've have heard traffic is awful getting to start of marathon and often wondered if walking from OKW was possible. I have heard Disney does not allow it but figured folks did it anyway. Any issues doing this?
Dec 1977 Offsite - Jan 1990 Offsite - Jan 1991 Offsite - Nov 2004 All Star Movies- Nov 2005 Port Orleans Riverside - Dec 2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House - Aug 2007 Coronado Springs/Royal Pacific - June 2008 Yacht Club - Feb 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter - Nov 2009 Disneyland Hotel - Aug 2010 Beach Club/Hard Rock Hotel - Nov 2010 Swan - Dec 2010 All Star Music - Dec 2010 Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village - March 2011 Saratoga Springs - Aug 2011 All Star Sports - Aug 2011 Boardwalk Villas - Nov 2011 Saratoga Springs - Jan 2012 Bay Lake Tower - July 2012 Grand Californian - Aug 2012 Beach Club Villas - Nov 2012 Old Key West - Aug 2013 Old Key West - Sept 2013 Contemporary - March 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House - July 2014 Boardwalk Villas - July 2014 Bay Lake Tower - November 2014 Boardwalk Villas
huskies90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
ahoff
DIS Veteran

Walking is very possible! OKW is right across the street from the corrals. I had a 20 minute walk from SSR. I met others walking as well.

in 2012 I did the Half and was staying at BW. A bus left as I walked up to the stop, and that was the last bus that showed for nearly an hour. By then folks were starting to panic. Then four busses showed up at once, one a regular Disney bus. I got on that one, and it was the most-fun bus ride I ever had at Disney. It was like the old days, when the drivers would talk to guests. He knew we were running late, went a different route than the charter buses, ran a stop sign and a light and definately was over the speed limit. And he kept a running commentary the whole way. Despite all that I still was late for start, I pretty much ran all the way from the bag check and saw the fireworks go off before I made my corral. So, walk if you can!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: