Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Jalva22
DIS Veteran

Colorado Mountain Towns in Summer

Hello! Vacationing in Colorado with a 13 and 17 year old in July. Wanting to keep them busy for 3-4 days without being constantly in the car. Trying to find the best town for the trip to base out of. Don't mind short drives to nearby towns, just don't want to spend a lot of the time in the car (we will have enough of that just getting there and back! )

Any ideas? Thought about Estes Park, but don't want to be in the crowds. Also thought Telluride, as I've never been there, but enough to do?
Any other ideas?
Jalva22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Jalva22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalva22
Hello! Vacationing in Colorado with a 13 and 17 year old in July. Wanting to keep them busy for 3-4 days without being constantly in the car. Trying to find the best town for the trip to base out of. Don't mind short drives to nearby towns, just don't want to spend a lot of the time in the car (we will have enough of that just getting there and back! )

Any ideas? Thought about Estes Park, but don't want to be in the crowds. Also thought Telluride, as I've never been there, but enough to do?
Any other ideas?
Also wanted to mention, I know what Colorado Springs and Denver have to offer, but would prefer to be on up in the mountains.
Jalva22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

What abotu Winter Park?

My brother in law ans his wife have a place there and my 14 year old nephew spends as much of the summer there as he can. LOTS of mountain biking at all levels (you can rent bikes), an alpine slide, hiking, kayaking and river rafting, zipline, fishing, etc.

We hope to go back to the US this summer and if so the three teens (my two and my nephew) are hoping to have an entire week up there to kick around and enjoy everything.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
What abotu Winter Park?

My brother in law ans his wife have a place there and my 14 year old nephew spends as much of the summer there as he can. LOTS of mountain biking at all levels (you can rent bikes), an alpine slide, hiking, kayaking and river rafting, zipline, fishing, etc.

We hope to go back to the US this summer and if so the three teens (my two and my nephew) are hoping to have an entire week up there to kick around and enjoy everything.
I agree my sister has a place in Fraiser by Winter Park, plus there is Lake Granby.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
LJC1861
DIS Veteran
Suffers from a Tag Fairy Complex

Go to Aspen!

There is tons to do, a great town with lots of awesome restaurants, fantastic mountain biking, horseback riding, etc.

You CAN find affordable places to stay...even right in town with lots of bed and breakfast locations and smaller inns.

Linda
LJC1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
Cherbear013
Bear

We live down the road from Breckenridge - love it! It is close to Frisco which has some cool small shops. Buena Vista is nearby and has awesome hot springs. Lake George has good fishing. We also like Aspen for its cool vibe and fun shops. Steamboat Springs is a little secluded as is Durango but they are both awesome!!
March 1996 - Polynesian
March 1999 - Port Orleans
June 2001 - Peabody
August 2007 - Pop Century
June & September 2008 - Pop Century
January 2012 - Disneyland

(Me 27) (DH 32) (5 months)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

We went to Estes Park a couple years ago and I didn't think it particularly crowded. We were there in August, so was certainly people walking around town and stuff, but I wouldn't call it crowded.

We only had two days there, but there was plenty more we could have done up there in and around the park.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

What are looking for in the 3-4 days activity-wise?
Rafting?
hiking?
horse-back riding?
rock climbing?
fishing?

all of the above?

some of the drives look long but aren't really that bad from one town to another. We stayed in Co Springs for 5 nights and drove to the Royal Gorge area 2x's...once for the park and another for rafting. We loved having Garden Of The Gods right by our hotel for climbing/exploring (for free) and hitting Manitou Springs / Air Force Academy/Pikes Peak. We started out in Estes for 3 nights and could have easily spent more. I know what you mean about the summer crowds, but really once you get into RMNP it isn't bad at all, so many hiking spots etc. I think Breckenridge a/o Aspen are great choices too tho. We were on a very tight budget so that dictated our locations...but really, CO is SO beautiful..enjoy no matter what you do!
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Another vote for the Winter Park area! We've got a place in Frasier (just bought this year!) and the summers are great up there. Mountain biking, horseback riding, honestly, I could spend a whole day doing the alpine slide over and over!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisneyFreaks View Post
Another vote for the Winter Park area! We've got a place in Frasier (just bought this year!) and the summers are great up there. Mountain biking, horseback riding, honestly, I could spend a whole day doing the alpine slide over and over!
I love that slide.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
7165red
DIS Veteran

Vail is beautiful during the summer with lots of out door activities, Check out Trip Adviser forums for more info.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Another vote for Vail. We love it there in the summer
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Estes Park is one of my favorites in the summer.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
I love that slide.

Kae
Just, if it looks like it's going to rain, don't go down it! It started to sprinkle one time and I went to hit the brakes because you're supposed to stop and walk down, and they didn't work, at all, I was just picking up speed! Now, I tend to go pretty fast anyway, but not being able to brake at all was a bit unnerving. My DH bailed out and got scratched up, I stuck the tennis shoes over the side of the sled and did the Fred Flintstone braking until I got to the bottom.

Both kids, thankfully, were able to stop and get off.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
MinnieFan4ever

DIS Cast Member

Be sure to check out Breckenridge. A GREAT place to visit in the summer. You will find plenty to do for 4 days. It is about a 90 minute ride from Denvers airport. Take a look at their website GoBreck.com. You will find some really good rates in the summer. Frisco is 9 miles away and Keystone is about a 20 minute ride, Copper Mountain is about 20 minutes away and Vail is about 40 minutes.
MinnieFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: