Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
I eventually have to decide if I'm going to stay through the bitter end. And will that bitter end be postponed as India botches it up? Sigh. I really wanted to spend the rest of my working years here too. We're told that other positions may open up in the company but I don't think they will be in the accounting area. I think it'll only be a matter of time until ALL of our accounting is outsourced.
Why is that your problem? If you can find another job somewhere else now, take it. I wouldn't even bother with a two-week notice. If you can't find anything, then yes, stay until the bitter end.. Don't feel any misguided loyalty to a company that has shown you none -- it's all business, after all..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh67_68 View Post
OP you are a better person then me, no way i would train the person they outsourced my job too.
If you needed your paycheck you would.

Sorry OP. I hope you find something even better.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh67_68 View Post
OP you are a better person then me, no way i would train the person they outsourced my job too.
Unfortunately, when you work for company and are going to be laid off, they offer a severance package. That severance package is used as leverage to ensure the employee fulfills their obligations to the company. If they don't provide the training and possibly being extended in their time with the company, they don't get the package. It stinks, but that's the way they work.

I work for an international company that has been outsourcing for years. As another poster stated, they find out that these India companies come in and low ball for services - usually a five year contract and then after five years, up the price ridiculously AND and as other posters have stated, provide sub-standard service and a LOT of turn around. Which often results the US employees of that company need to fix/correct issues all the time

By the time the company decides to bring that skill/job back in-house, they have lost the expertise and have to re-build it. From what I have seen, these companies have not saved a penny. They've created frustration for the employees, the customers, have taken away from our tax base, etc.

There are 2 companies that are actually bringing mfg back to the U.S. one is Sentry and the other is Apple. From what I have heard from their CEO's, it's more expensive to manufacture in China than to have it made in the U.S.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

I work for a health insurance company, I will not say which one. Not to make this political but due to certain provisions of the ACA it was decided to move a sizable chunk of our claims processing to the Philippines. However no jobs were lost because work from other areas was moved around so we continued to process claims, just different types of claims.

A small group was kept on to assist the offshore folks. I am one of them. I hate to say it but there are times they get lazy and do not know what they were doing. Plus if you give them feedback they give you attitude like they know everything and we have no clue what we are doing. It is frustrating, especially since our managers always rave about how well they are doing. But we know better.

Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

I too have seen many jobs at my work transfer to India but nearly 1/2 of them came back-some never even made it past the training when it was decided it just wouldn't work.

OP: sorry you have to go through this. If you do stick with training the new workers remember you can always add that to your resume, that you coordinated overseas training!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

What if we, as U.S. citizens and workers, just refuse to patronize businesses that outsource as much as possible.
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma'smom View Post
What if we, as U.S. citizens and workers, just refuse to patronize businesses that outsource as much as possible.
What if we, as U.S. citizens and workers, just demand that our government make the U.S. more corporate friendly by lowering the corporate tax rate and lessening regulations?
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #23
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

That stinks! Mine was just offshored to Costa Rica but at least I got advance notice this time before getting laid off (for the third time).

Good luck with finding another job!
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #24
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams View Post
What if we, as U.S. citizens and workers, just demand that our government make the U.S. more corporate friendly by lowering the corporate tax rate and lessening regulations?
Can't say what I want because it's political. Actually your post was political as well.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

Is it possible because your job is being sent out of the country that you get to go to school for free...to train you in any area you wish???

I thought that someone had that opprotunity here in Maine when all of our manufacturing was sent to Japan...

just check into it..but I THINK you do have to stay until the end for that to happen..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumba View Post
Is it possible because your job is being sent out of the country that you get to go to school for free...to train you in any area you wish???

I thought that someone had that opprotunity here in Maine when all of our manufacturing was sent to Japan...

just check into it..but I THINK you do have to stay until the end for that to happen..
NOt sure where the OP is from but it varies from state to state. You are correct that you need to stay through the end and actually be laid off (as it's an unemployment benefit) rather than quitting.

The list of approved programs should be on the unemployment website for the state. Not all programs qualify. Also, the training is not always paid but you may still get paid unemployment while attending training as the approved programs count toward the "willing and looking for work" guidelines. In either case, it needs to get approved.

It is good to mention that though. As I've been laid off 3x in my field now, I have decided to change fields.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

I'm so sorry. The last company I worked for was a global company and back when the recession hit they laid off 10% off the US staff which was over 1,000 people. Then about a year later they moved the entire IT department (about 100-150 people) to Malaysia, and the old workers had to train the new ones.

After the move, when we had an IT issue holy hell would break out. My computer completely crashed and I was without email for DAYS. My client was not happy. I left about 9 months after the transition but it seemed like it wasn't going to work. But the executives were still trying to figure out more jobs they could make Malaysia do in order to cut more US staff.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerdreams View Post
Unfortunately, when you work for company and are going to be laid off, they offer a severance package. That severance package is used as leverage to ensure the employee fulfills their obligations to the company. If they don't provide the training and possibly being extended in their time with the company, they don't get the package. It stinks, but that's the way they work.

Bingo!! They make that severance package very, VERY attractive. If I stay until the end AND I'm able to find another job relatively quickly (I know, I know, but I know people who found a job within weeks of looking and I know people who've been unemployed for more than a year ), that severance package would have me set up quite nicely. I may even be able to afford a trip to WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerdreams View Post
I work for an international company that has been outsourcing for years. As another poster stated, they find out that these India companies come in and low ball for services - usually a five year contract and then after five years, up the price ridiculously AND and as other posters have stated, provide sub-standard service and a LOT of turn around. Which often results the US employees of that company need to fix/correct issues all the time

By the time the company decides to bring that skill/job back in-house, they have lost the expertise and have to re-build it. From what I have seen, these companies have not saved a penny. They've created frustration for the employees, the customers, have taken away from our tax base, etc.
The company that I work for already has an established office in Chennai. Back in '08 or '09, they moved our engineering work to India. They're STILL screwing it up! I've heard of drawings needing revisions, purchase orders still coming through with wrong info. I just. don't. understand. how on earth the powers that be think that India will miraculously do a better job with our financials. And with only 4 months to transfer knowledge, to boot.

Whatever. It's gonna be a hot mess.

We have local vendors as well as customers who will NOT be happy to have to deal with India. Some may actually stop doing business with us. ALL payments will need to be made via wire or direct deposit - absolutely no physical checks are supposed to be issued from here after June.

We've been talking here and musing about how long it will take before they can this "shared services" BS and move it back here. And then how long it will take to fix everything India screwed up.

A few PP mentioned about being able to go back to school. I was told that it's still an option here. I very well might take that up as I don't have any accounting degree. Man is it amazing how much that piece of paper trumps experience! Even an associate's could help my chances a LOT.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...
wonder what the punishment would be for excessive burping

What makes it worse its that you are being replaced by someone who is getting paid pennies onf the dollar!!! You should not feel bad, but be furious that OUR jobs, data, information are all being shipped overseas--shame on our govenment for allowing it!!!!!! You should be furious
sandramaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #30
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

I'm sorry to hear this, OP.

It makes me sad and mad to hear of so many jobs going overseas. It's not the only cause of our economy going down the flusher, but it contributes to it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: