Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

Is there enough to do in Nashville, TN for a week?

Hi;
We are looking for a budget vacation while our son is at Space Camp in Huntsville, Al. Our timeshare will transfer to Nashville. It's less than a two hour ride from the Nashville airport for us to drop our son off at Space Camp. But, is there enough to do in Nashville? We do like history so I'm assuming visiting some historical homes would be a reasonable way to past the time.

Any ideas?

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
FarmDisney
Mouseketeer

Parthenon

On our way to WDW in 2008 we stopped in Nashville to look at the Parthenon - a full size replica of the actual one in Greece. It was amazing!!! I just looked and admission is $4 for adults. We thought it was definitely worth the stop. We spent several hours there - we were studying Ancient Greece and Greek mythology and the Parthenon was a huge hit with the kids.

Sorry don't have any other info for you, but the Parthenon could easily fill up a day for you.

DH ; Me ; DD12 ; : DD10 ; DS8 ; DS5 ; DS3
FarmDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
GoofyLovingFamily
Mouseketeer

I am from Nashville

Nashville has a lot of things to do. The zoo is very nice. We have a lot of malls. There is a comedy club, there are all kinds of professional sports depending on the season, there is a big water park, there is the Country Music Hall of Fame and Grand Ole Opry, there are a lot of famous honky tonk type bars where country singers get there start. There is the General Jackson river boat. It cruises the Cumberland river and you get a meal and a show. If you have any specific interests let me know and I will guide you there.
GoofyLovingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Sossy
Mouseketeer

As a lot of places, it depends on what you like to do, and for here also the time of year. You don't want to spend all day outside in July-August usually.
Historical: several nice places including the Parthenon, Hermitage, and Belle Meade plantation. I'd also suggest checking out the Frist Art museum and Cheekwood Botanical Gardens.
You can go walk through the Opryland hotel just to see the gardens even if you aren't staying there, just park at the mall next door. The TN state museum is downtown and free- usually has some fun visiting exhibits. There are some very nice large parks, including one with some good short hikes in the hills (Warner Parks). And you should spend some time downtown near the honky tonks just to get the experience of all of the live music, or you could go to Bluebird Cafe to hear new music from singer/songwriters!

BLAB: I really should have played more video games as a child.
Sossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

A Grand Ol' Opry performance is on my bucket list.

I think there's enough to do inside Nashville. If you don't limit yourself to the city, I know there's enough to do.

The Nachez Trace, a 400+ scenic drive, ends right outside Nashville. I'm not saying drive the entire route to Mississippi. But you can travel maybe 30-40 miles down the trace then back up to it. It's a beautiful drive, and there's a lot of hiking trails along the trace.

Even if you don't travel the trace, make sure you have a meal at the Loveless Cafe at the very end of the trace. That's where the celebrities go when they're in Nashville. And for good, delicious reasons too.

Mammoth Cave National Park is about 90 minutes north of Nashville. If you don't want to travel that far, the Lost River Cave is about an hour north in Bowling Green, KY. There, you travel by boat along a river that enters into a wide cave. Huge cave..in fact it was a nightclub during Prohibition, and they still have parties there from time to time.

Also in Bowling Green...the National Corvette Museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

Thanks. It sounds like there will be plenty of activities for us. My oldest wants a career in the music business (not country) but I think he'd really enjoy all the music history in the area!

I expect it will be brutally hot at the end of August but we love the heat!

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
scdak
DIS Veteran

Visitmusiccity.com is a valuable site for information and has helped me plan several trips, I also recommend the "total access pass" which gives you admission to a number of tourist attractions for a set price and its less expensive than purchasing admission to them individually. I would love to be able to spend a week there, and I don't think I would still get to see everything that I want to see.
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family

October 2015 - just starting to think about it
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I have been to Nashville and think I could see everything I wanted to see in the city itself about 2 days. A week there would be a long time.

OP - you would probably be interested in a tour of the Hermitage, President Andrew Jackson's home. It is worth a visit:

http://www.thehermitage.com/
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Floridagal23
DIS Veteran

We spent a long weekend in Nashville and felt like there was plenty to do. We live in NYC and we are used to being overprogrammed and we weren't bored. We ate at the pancake pantry, loveless cafe, judge bean's, went to the grand old opry, the parthenon replica, the hermitage, belle meade plantation, walked around vanderbilt university, walked around downtown, heard live music in bars, etc. We drove around some of the nicer suburbs, too. I would make reservations ahead of time to go to the bluebird cafe for some live music, and if we had more time, maybe see some other plantations/homes, the botanical gardens, and go to the Nachez trace trail areas. And definitely try to go to another show!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
LaurLaur04
Mouseketeer

I love the Grand Ol Opry mall. It's awesome! Lots to do there!

My divorce is NOT the end...it is the BEGINNING!

My September 2010 TR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38382769
LaurLaur04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Carol97
Mouseketeer

There is a zoo too in Nashville and the Opry Mills Mall is very nice to shop at. You can also walk through the Opryland hotel which is beautiful and they have a nice little romantic boatride you can take inside the hotel!

Carol97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
robsmom
loved it so much we might go back

I love the suggestion of Mammoth Caves. I know it is a bit of a ride, but this was one of the most amazing places that I have ever been. One hint if you go. Get tickets in advance and check the time zone. It is right on the border of central/eastern time. Our hotel was in one and the cave was in the other. You may want to check out lakes in the area as well. Since you have a full week, taking a day and just relaxing/swimming might be a nice break from the August heat.
Wilderness Lodge 7/05
Vistana 6/07
DCL 8/07
DCL, Wilderness Lodge, AKL 11/08
Yacht Club 11/09
robsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
packofjedis
Mouseketeer

I lived in Nashville for 5 years and we loved it so much we plan to retire there. There's plenty to do for a week. The plantation homes are very cool. I'm going to second a lot of what people have already said and add a few of my own:

The Hermitage (well worth it)

eat at The Pancake Pantry (no idea what they put in their pancakes but they're addicting)

Cheekwood Gardens (they used to do a half price ticket after 4:00 or so)

for history go a little east to Stones River National Park (a driving/walking tour of a battlefield with plaques along the way to explain what was happening)

Belmont Mansion next to do Belmont University was an interesting tour

If you go north to Mammoth Caves, you could add on a visit to Kentucky Down Under. They have kangaroos you can pet

Another cave that isn't quite so far is Lost River Cave boat tours. Just over KY border in Bowling Green.
packofjedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
mrsdrake625
DIS Veteran

Re: mammoth caves, it may be worthwhile to check on the various tour times. We got there and had to wait until the next available tour left, the ones close to when we arrived were sold out. But agree w pp, it was totally worth the trip. Chilly down there, bring a jacket!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

You may also want to take your son around music row. Lots of studios there. A lot of things have been recorded in them, and not just country!
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: