Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Talking Old, New & Long Lost Friends, with a Side of Frump! FINISHED! DL TR started 1.20.14!

Greetings friends and soon-to-be friends (there are no strangers here; just a few people who may be a bit strange, including yours truly)! I am less than a week back from my recent Walt Disney World vacation, and have been bursting at the seams to share it with all of you!

So please join me for the world premiere of Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump: A January '13 Walt Disney World Trip Report!

For those of you who don't know me, I am Theresa!

You may be familiar with me from my posts on TheDis, as GertieTheDino89 on Twitter, the girl who makes the Stacey gifs, or the girl who made the One More Disney Day video on YouTube.

You also might not know me at all, and that's cool too (I guess...). I hope you decide to stick around and get to know me and allow me to get to know you!

As my Twitter name implies, I looooooove Gertie the Dinosaur, who resides in my favorite Walt Disney World park, MGM Studios! (name change? What name change?)

For reasons I can't explain, seeing Gertie happens to be my most vivid memory from my first trip to Walt Disney World in 1990. I always tear up a little bit the first time I see her while in Walt Disney World, and when people post her picture on Twitter or text it to me while they are in the parks, it's guaranteed to put a smile on my face! Oh Gertie.

I subscribe to the Disney Frump way of life, a la DisneyFreak508 and DisneyFreak616 and many of the rest of you on these boards! Here's a spoiler - if you've been following along with Jess's ongoing DCP Trip Report, you've already seen a sneak peak into what's in store for this TR! If you haven't been there, go now! Her previous trip reports are some of the most amazing I have ever read and really inspired me to want to write my own. So if this trip report winds up being AMAZING, you can thank her!

The other person who joined me on this trip is my husband, Scott.

He's not quite the Disney fanatic that I am, but he does enjoy visiting the Parks for the food, customer service, and to keep me happy

Most of our trips to Disney have been together, including the trip where we got engaged, our honeymoon and for our first anniversary.

On this trip, we were in Walt Disney World from January 26 - February 1, 2013, and stayed at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - our very first time staying in a Deluxe or DVC resort!

We were able to catch the tail end of Long Lost Friends Week in the Magic Kingdom, finally see New Fantasyland and Test Track2.0, check out a few new (to us) restaurants, staying in the park after hours, and, as the name of this Trip Report implies, meet up with a TON of Disney friends! I feel like I always say this when we return from Walt Disney World, but this was truly the best Disney trip we have ever had, and I am already eager to start planning another one!

So, I hope you all get settled in, because this is going to be one unforgettable journey!
June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV

*NEW!!!* August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

Follow me on Twitter! @GertieTheDino89

Last edited by arbolita; 01-20-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Day Before Leaving (January 25)
Chapter 1 - If I were a DME tag, where would I be?

Day 1 - Saturday, January 26, 2013
Chapter 2 - Oh, is that what they are calling Walt Disney World now?
Chapter 3 - Guess that means we don't have to go to Animal Kingdom!
Chapter 4 - Wait, where are we?
Chapter 5 - This room is nic- OH MY GOD, THAT VIEW.
Chapter 6 - The Best Seat in the House
Chapter 7 - The Scariest Thing I've Ever Done During a Disney Vacation

Day 2 - Sunday, January 27, 2013
Chapter 8 - Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly What a Day
Chapter 9 - "I see a hippo sleeping up there!"
Chapter 10 - Little tooooown, it's a quiet village...
Chapter 11 - Let's Go Join the Circus
Chapter 12 - Even Galactic Heroes Can't Prevent Fashion Crimes
Chapter 13 - "Of course they're real, you can see them can't you?"
Chapter 14 - Enchanted Tales with Belle and Brickering Part 2

Day 3 - Monday, January 28, 2013
Chapter 15 - Scott Becomes Obsessed With Pin Collecting
Chapter 16: If I look sadly at this staircase long enough, will they let me upstairs?
Chapter 17: Frumping Around World Showcase
Chapter 18: Who knew something with school in the name could be so good?
Chapter 19: Reunited and It Feels So Good!
Chapter 20: Fantasmic leaves me mist-ified
Chapter 21: Sorry Canada

Day 4 - Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Chapter 22: Checking another item off the Disney Bucket List!
Chapter 23: "Did you guys pay extra for this?"
Chapter 24 - Timon, Go Home, You're Drunk
Chapter 25: Our favorite Cast Member and more Brickering

Day 5 - Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Chapter 26: Breakfast of Champions and Gertiepalooza!
Chapter 27: You don't want her to look like a lizard person, do you?
Chapter 28: How did it take 5 days for this to happen?
Chapter 29: My favorite Hidden Mickey of all time
Chapter 30: Can we make it??
Chapter 31: Happy 25th Anniversary Illuminations!

Day 6 - Thursday, January 31, 2013
Chapter 32: My husband, the iPadographer
Chapter 33: Note to self: Bring hair ties for Test Track (and Canadians smell weird)
Chapter 34: Tardis Cake and #CultofCornbread

Day 7 - Friday, February 1, 2013
Chapter 35: "Oh no, not the Wookie planet!"
Chapter 36: Be Our Guest
Chapter 37: Adventureland Challenge and "Missing" our Bus

Breaking News: PTR Announcement!

Speaking of 25th Anniversaries...

Disneyland Trip Report has started!!
Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV

*NEW!!!* August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

Last edited by arbolita; 01-20-2014 at 09:11 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

I will be following along!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

I am totallysubscribing!

Love Jess's TR'S!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Joining in
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

I'm in! This is snoogibear from twitter. We overlapped trips by a day! Or well, our last day in the parks was the 26th. Looking forward to reading along!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Cinderella16
DIS Veteran

Subbing. Sounds like a fun one!
1989ish (1st Trip - Ft. Wilderness), 1993 (Offsite), 1999 (8th Grade Graduation Trip-offsite) 2004 (Offsite), 2005 (Offsite), 2007 (Offsite, Engaged at MK!) 2009 (Disneymoon - GF) 2010 (Wildnerness Lodge) 2011 (New DVC Members - SSR) 2012 (Bay Lake Tower/Vero Beach)2013 (May-BWV/Oct-AKL- Kidani)
WDW Commando Member #204

Trip Reports
The Mr. & Mrs. Meeting Mickey in May - May 2010 + BONUS Pre Trip Report for July 2012

The Mr., The Mrs., and the Dining Plan - Our June 2009 Disneymoon
Our Magical Trip of a Million, Dreams, Wishes, & Surprises- Our June 2007 Engagement
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnnie View Post
I will be following along!

Glad to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
I am totallysubscribing!

Love Jess's TR'S!

Can't wait to hear all about it!
Her TRs (and videos) are really something spectacular. I don't see how anyone could NOT want to book a trip immediately to Disney after reading one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Joining in
Hooray! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
I'm in! This is snoogibear from twitter. We overlapped trips by a day! Or well, our last day in the parks was the 26th. Looking forward to reading along!
Hey there! Can't wait to start reading along with your DL TR! We're hoping to make it there for our first trip within the next 12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella16 View Post
Subbing. Sounds like a fun one!
I hope you enjoy it!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
MasonsDisneyMom
Proud Preemie Momma

Joining in!

June 2007-Pop, May 2008-Pop (Disneymoon!), January 2009-Pop, May 2009-Pop, December 2009-Pop, May 2012-AKL (Kidani), October 2012-OKW, May 2013-BCV, September 2013-AKL (Jambo)
Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
debjk4
Mouseketeer

Subbing! Can't wait!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsDisneyMom View Post
Joining in!
Hello neighbor from the Mid-Atlantic, glad to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjk4 View Post
Subbing! Can't wait!

Thanks! I can't wait to start writing it!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
arbolita
DIS Veteran

A brief bit of background for this trip. Originally we were going to take this trip in the spring, but after looking at prices, we decided in November to push it up to the end of January. I definitely think we made a good decision, but there was one small factor which was complicating things a little bit...we were scheduled to move in January.

My husband and I both had been dealing with nearly an hour long commutes to work, paying tolls each way, and coupled with some very obnoxious neighbors living below us, we were getting worn out. We'd been having a very unsuccessful time trying to find a new place until mid-December. We found a townhouse that would have us each to work in under 20 minutes and plenty of extra room! We set everything into high gear, and planned our moving date for January 19th.

Yes, friends, that is exactly ONE WEEK before we left for Disney. Yes, you could say I'm a little bit nutty for thinking that might be a good idea. But I had been having a stressful time at work, and just knew that I needed to be in my happy place down in Orlando to recover. As soon as I was done working for the day, I tweeted:

@GertieTheDino89 I'M GOING TO DISNEY IN THE MORNING! DING DONG THE MONORAIL IS GOING TO CHIIIIIIIIIIIME.

(Taking a page from some other TRs, I'm going to include a few of my tweets throughout my posts! You can identify them by the italics and teal text.)

We were waking up at 5:30 AM, but as usual, I had left most of my packing for the night before leaving. I knew our first day in the parks was going to overlap with the last day of the Long Lost Characters, so I located the perfect movie to watch while packing.

This was always one of my favorite movies as a kid, and I definitely did a lot more watching the movie than I did packing.

I knew after receiving our DME tags in the mail at our old place, I had put them in the carry on bag I planned to use for the trip. However, while trying to reorganize everything in that bag, I took them out and had no idea where they went!

@GertieTheDino89 If I were a DME tag, where would I hide...

After a lot of searching, I finally located it in a laundry basket - let me tell you, if I actually WAS a DME tag, that is not where I would have been hiding! Guess I'm not cut out for that life. Oh darn.

I finally finished packing around 10:30, but because I was DISNEYHYPER I didn't manage to fall asleep until after midnight, although I swear I woke up every 20 minutes thinking it was time to go to the airport.

At 5:00, it actually was time to get up!! We were going to drive over to our in-law's house at 6 AM so they could drop us off at the airport. I was so happy to be leaving Maryland, because the day before we left, the atmosphere decided to send us some of this:

Nope, sorry, not a fan of snow. GET ME TO THE SUNSHINE STATE, PRONTO!

Continued in next post

Last edited by arbolita; 01-01-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Our trip to the in-law's, and subsequently to the airport, was relatively uneventful. We each had one bag to check, so we got in the AirTran line. I was really surprised how packed it was at 6:20AM! We usually fly around the same time and have never seen that many other people in the airport.

Once we finally got through the line and were ready to head to security, my husband and I looked at each other, and knew exactly what we needed to do. And I'm going to share this helpful hint to all of you in the event that you ever have to fly out of BWI Airport in the AirTran or SouthWest terminals: GO DOWNSTAIRS.

Next to the Southwest and AirTran check in desks, there are areas to go through security, and if it's as busy as it was the morning we flew to Disney, you'll be in for a long wait. However, if you keep walking past them and take the escalator or elevator down a level, there is a lesser known security area. We walked down, and were greeted with this lovely sight:

There was absolutely no one else down there! So we zoomed through security, and we ready to get to our gate. But first I had to go on another mission.

I also had to get the obligatory pre-vacation picture. One of us was way more excited than the other to have gotten up at 5 AM and to be waiting for our plane by taking pictures in an airport terminal. Can you guess which one of us that was??

We started boarding our flight around 7:30 AM, and since AirTran allows you to pick your seats ahead of time, we knew we'd 1) be able to sit together, and 2) be seated on the side of the plane that had rows of 2 seats instead of rows of 3. Nobody had to get stuck in the middle!

A few minutes after 8, the flight took off. It had been gray and dreary all morning, but as soon as the plane got above the clouds, we figured out where the sun had been hiding for the past few days! I couldn't even get a picture, it was so bright! There was a cute kid across the aisle from us who kept saying things like "Are we flying yet??" (as the plane was still on the tarmac), "Bye Bye Maryland!!" and my favorite, when he was looking down on clouds for the first time "Look- IT'S SNOW!"

To help pass time on the flight, I listened to the ISO5571 Disney Photography Podcast, and flipped through the complimentary magazine, when I noticed they had a page about New Fantasyland! As I started reading however, something stood out to me:

The largest expansion WHERE?? I had no idea that when they added New Fantasyland they decided to entirely change the name of the resort to Disneyland Florida. Come on AirTran, get it together. That's a pretty major detail to get wrong.

Just after 10:00 AM, our flight landed, and I was finally able to tweet the words I had been longing to say:

@GertieTheDino89 HELLO FLORIDA!!!!!!!!

Continued in next post

Last edited by arbolita; 01-01-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
MasonsDisneyMom
Proud Preemie Momma

Thanks for the BWI tip! We're flying Airtran out of BWI in May (we can fly either BWI or PHL from here but BWI has been less expensive lately). I love the two seats on Airtran. On our way down DS will be 1 so we only have to buy two seats but on the way back he'll be two so we have to pay for his own seat even though we know he'll be on our laps! At least we won't have anyone sitting with us!

June 2007-Pop, May 2008-Pop (Disneymoon!), January 2009-Pop, May 2009-Pop, December 2009-Pop, May 2012-AKL (Kidani), October 2012-OKW, May 2013-BCV, September 2013-AKL (Jambo)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsDisneyMom View Post
Thanks for the BWI tip! We're flying Airtran out of BWI in May (we can fly either BWI or PHL from here but BWI has been less expensive lately). I love the two seats on Airtran. On our way down DS will be 1 so we only have to buy two seats but on the way back he'll be two so we have to pay for his own seat even though we know he'll be on our laps! At least we won't have anyone sitting with us!
Glad I could help! I agree, they have been showing some great fares between BWI and MCO recently! If you are facing the check in desks, you'll want to head towards the right, because the escalator/elevator/stairs on that side are the ones that put you right in front of the security area downstairs. There should be signs near the escalator confirming that the security area is open (or you could ask a staff person).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: