Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,217

Just back from Alaska cruise - some tips and things I learned

We got back from the June 25- July 2 Wonder cruise from Seattle to Alaska, had a GREAT time, and met some wonderful DIS'ers!

We had pretty good weather - only moderate rain on our day in Juneau. It was actually sunny for a while when we were in Ketchikan, which amazed the people who live there!

Some quick tips:

Tracy Arm: Although Disney says they have photographers on Decks 4, 9 and 10, we only saw them on Deck 10. We were waiting around all day on Deck 9, and only caught one when he was coming down from Deck 10.

Skagway: If you go to the Yukon Suspension Bridge, BRING MOSQUITO REPELLANT!!! The place was thick with them and they are deadly! DS got bit so badly his entire hand was swollen for a couple of days.

Juneau: We did the Whale Quest and Mendenhall Glacier tour. You don't really walk out onto the glacier; you really only have time to go to the visitors center there.

Ketchikan: We did the Saxman Native Village and Lumberjack Show. Both are excellent. Learned a lot about the Tlingit culture and the show was entertaining. Just wished we had longer in port - had to leave by 12:30.

Victoria: Did not leave the boat. We were packing and going to Palo that night. We were pleased that Disney has moved the evening show Remember the Magic to 2 pm and 4 pm that day.

We had a great dining rotation: PTTAPTA. This gave us both our Formal and Semi-Formal nights at Tritons, and Pirate Night at Parrot Cay.

For the first time on a Disney cruise, we had to share a table. We are a family of 4 and we usually have our own table, but this time, we were seating at a table of 8 with another family with 2 older kids (15 and 18).

The movies currently being shown are: Brother Bear, Avengers, The Muppets, War Horse, Chimpanzee, The Help, John Carter, Brave, People Like Us, Cars 2.

The shows were Let the Magic Begin, The Golden Mickeys, Max Winfrey (comedy and juggling), Brave, Toy Story the Musical - there was an interesting technical glitch in our show, Disney Dreams, and Remember the Magic. We did not go to the Max Winfrey show and saw Avengers 3D instead that night.

And a sad note - RIP to the Palo High Tea.
The Wonder is the only ship still serving this, and will stop it entirely after August. They are not taking any new reservations and are only honorning those online reservations already in the system.

We asked our server about this, and they said that the High Tea had declining attendance, and management decided that it was too much effort to put on a Brunch and High Tea and Dinner on sea days.

We told them that we really enjoyed it and hoped they would bring it back someday, but I don't think it will happen.

Our kids are 21 and 17, so I don't have any experience with the Oceaneers Club/Lab this time, and we didn't do any character meets or the character breakfast. Otherwise, I'll be happy to answer any questions!
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Brumbie13
Mr. Mickeybars
 
Brumbie13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 671

No questions, but thanks for the insights!
__________________
"How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?"

Brumbie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
We got back from the June 25- July 2 Wonder cruise from Seattle to Alaska, had a GREAT time, and met some wonderful DIS'ers!

We had pretty good weather - only moderate rain on our day in Juneau. It was actually sunny for a while when we were in Ketchikan, which amazed the people who live there!

Some quick tips:

Tracy Arm: Although Disney says they have photographers on Decks 4, 9 and 10, we only saw them on Deck 10. We were waiting around all day on Deck 9, and only caught one when he was coming down from Deck 10.

Skagway: If you go to the Yukon Suspension Bridge, BRING MOSQUITO REPELLANT!!! The place was thick with them and they are deadly! DS got bit so badly his entire hand was swollen for a couple of days.

Juneau: We did the Whale Quest and Mendenhall Glacier tour. You don't really walk out onto the glacier; you really only have time to go to the visitors center there.

Ketchikan: We did the Saxman Native Village and Lumberjack Show. Both are excellent. Learned a lot about the Tlingit culture and the show was entertaining. Just wished we had longer in port - had to leave by 12:30.

Victoria: Did not leave the boat. We were packing and going to Palo that night. We were pleased that Disney has moved the evening show Remember the Magic to 2 pm and 4 pm that day....
Mendenhall Glacier is viewed from across the lake. The only way to walk on it is if you land on it by helicopter (or plane) or hike to it from the west side.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
The shows were Let the Magic Begin, The Golden Mickeys, Max Winfrey (comedy and juggling), Brave, Toy Story the Musical - there was an interesting technical glitch in our show, Disney Dreams, and Remember the Magic. We did not go to the Max Winfrey show and saw Avengers 3D instead that night.
What was the problem with Toy Story? We were on the Wonder in Oct & Dec 2011 and both times there was a technical problem with this show. Different problems. I'm just wondering what your glitch was?

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
1stTimePartyof3
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19

Thanks

Good tips
1stTimePartyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
What was the problem with Toy Story? We were on the Wonder in Oct & Dec 2011 and both times there was a technical problem with this show. Different problems. I'm just wondering what your glitch was?

Everything as going along swimmingly, until the big climactic finale.

Andy is moving away, and Woody lights the rocket attached to Buzz to fly into the back of the truck with the other toys.

Before the scene starts, there are some shadows flickering on the curtains. DD says, "I think there's supposed to be some video that is not working?"

Then the curtain opens and Woody and Buzz are on their aerial tethers on the left side of the stage, ready to fly into the truck, only Woody zips across the stage and ends up on the other side, crashing into the boxes, while Buzz is still stuck on the other side of the stage. For a millisecond, the actors are frozen, then the curtains come down.

DD says, "Is that IT??"

A few seconds later, the house announcer says, "Due to technical difficulties, Toy Story the Musical will resume momentarily" and house lights go up.

After a minute or so, announcer says, "The show will now continue" and lights go down. Buzz and Woody, minus tethers, are now in the truck with the other toys. All is well.


---------------------------------------------------------------

What glitch did you see?
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
Everything as going along swimmingly, until the big climactic finale.

Andy is moving away, and Woody lights the rocket attached to Buzz to fly into the back of the truck with the other toys.

Before the scene starts, there are some shadows flickering on the curtains. DD says, "I think there's supposed to be some video that is not working?"

Then the curtain opens and Woody and Buzz are on their aerial tethers on the left side of the stage, ready to fly into the truck, only Woody zips across the stage and ends up on the other side, crashing into the boxes, while Buzz is still stuck on the other side of the stage. For a millisecond, the actors are frozen, then the curtains come down.

DD says, "Is that IT??"

A few seconds later, the house announcer says, "Due to technical difficulties, Toy Story the Musical will resume momentarily" and house lights go up.

After a minute or so, announcer says, "The show will now continue" and lights go down. Buzz and Woody, minus tethers, are now in the truck with the other toys. All is well.


---------------------------------------------------------------

What glitch did you see?

Well, the first cruise was similar to yours, but neither Buzz or Woody made an appearance on their tethers. The dialogue continued for a while with the other "toys" acting like Buzz and Woody were there. Then the curtain closed and we got the "technical difficulties - will resume momentarily speech". When the curtain opened Buzz and Woody were with the toys, off their tethers.

The second cruise, when Sid was out in the yard singing about how bad he is, the screen behind him went halfway up and stopped. Sid was onstage for quite a while, laughing hysterically, running around, tossing the toy around that he had. Finally, the curtain closed and again, "technical difficulties". When it reopened it started at the next scene.

I don't particually care for Toy Story- the Musical, but I'm going to keep seeing it until they get it right. Then I'll opt for something else that night.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I don't particually care for Toy Story- the Musical, but I'm going to keep seeing it until they get it right. Then I'll opt for something else that night.

LOL!!!

Before this cruise, I had not seen any glitches in the live shows, so I was surprised with this.

Is Toy Story known for these issues? Sounds like it is the "Spiderman" of the Disney shows.

Oh, also in our show, during "You've Got A Friend in Me", part of Sid's song interrupts for a second or two as well.
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran
 
twopeasonepod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 1,164

Thank you so much. Good info! We will be there in four days!
twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
WDHC
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14

Thanks for sharing, Deb in IA. The tips and movie schedule are helpful for our July 16th Alaska cruise.
WDHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,245

Great tips! A few questions:

(1) Tracy Arm day--- were there characters wandering around on Deck 9 even though there were no photographers on deck 9?

(2) Did you do any Art of Enteratinment demos? Were they adults only?

(3) Palo High Tea--we had hoped to book a ressie onboard. Did you try to do this and were turned away? Who did you get the info from re not taking any onboard ressies for High Tea?

Thanks.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,447

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Great tips! A few questions:

(1) Tracy Arm day--- were there characters wandering around on Deck 9 even though there were no photographers on deck 9?

(2) Did you do any Art of Enteratinment demos? Were they adults only?

(3) Palo High Tea--we had hoped to book a ressie onboard. Did you try to do this and were turned away? Who did you get the info from re not taking any onboard ressies for High Tea?

Thanks.
High Tea is being phased out on all the ships. That information was posted some time ago here on the DISboards.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
mgmcpa
Disneyland Lover
 
mgmcpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 142

What lumberjack showtime did you go to?

Debating between the 8am and 11am show ... which did you do and which time do you recommend? I'm leaning toward 8am, but am afraid it would be too cold.
mgmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #14
floridahippy
Mouseketeer
 
floridahippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hereford, UK
Posts: 195

Just want to say that we were on Deck 4 in Tracy Arm and we had loads of character interaction and the photographers were in attendance with them who took a couple of pictures of each group and also would take photos with your own personal cameras too.
loved watching minnie play shuffle board with a little boy for a few minutes - he was thrilled bless him - so special!!!
__________________
Floridahippy
floridahippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmcpa View Post
Debating between the 8am and 11am show ... which did you do and which time do you recommend? I'm leaning toward 8am, but am afraid it would be too cold.
We went to the 11 show, because we had the Saxman Village tour first.
If you are worried about the cold, never fear! There are heaters above the seats and they keep you pretty warm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridahippy View Post
Just want to say that we were on Deck 4 in Tracy Arm and we had loads of character interaction and the photographers were in attendance with them who took a couple of pictures of each group and also would take photos with your own personal cameras too.
loved watching minnie play shuffle board with a little boy for a few minutes - he was thrilled bless him - so special!!!
Good to hear that!
Sorry we missed meeting you, floridahippy! I was hoping we could compare notes for the June 15 12-night Med cruise! Are you still going on that one?
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.