Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
maps81
Earning My Ears

Another Passport Question

My daughter-in-law is in the process of getting her first passport. She sent me a text tonight asking what to put in line 19:

Date of Travel: Duration of Trip: Countries to be Visited:

I told her to leave it blank for now- since we won't be having our passports stamped- should she put in the dates for our cruise, and the port countries?

Thanks for any guidance!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maps81 View Post
My daughter-in-law is in the process of getting her first passport. She sent me a text tonight asking what to put in line 19:

I told her to leave it blank for now- since we won't be having our passports stamped- should she put in the dates for our cruise, and the port countries?

Thanks for any guidance!
I'd say she should put the cruise dates, how long the cruise is, and list the countries the cruise is going to.

I don't understand what not having your passports stamped has to do with it?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
MAD4EEYORE
DIS Veteran

We left it blank
MAD4EEYORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

The reason they ask for travel dates is to insure that they will get it back to you in time, and the Feds just like to know everything... But the stamp has nothing to do with anything anymore, everything is computerized. But go ahead and put the cruise info on there as that is what y'all will be using the passport for.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
maps81
Earning My Ears

Interesting answers! Thanks everyone for taking a moment to reply!

"I don't understand what not having your passports stamped has to do with it?"

- -- I was thinking that since we aren't going through customs etc... during each port stop, we really weren't "entering" that country. But- I am certain I have NO idea how things like this are viewed from the "official" point of view!

Thanks again!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
calismic
Mouseketeer

Passports are processed based on date of travel. If you want it back sooner enter a date. If the 4-6 week wait is acceptable then feel free to leave it blank. =)
calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic View Post
Passports are processed based on date of travel. If you want it back sooner enter a date. If the 4-6 week wait is acceptable then feel free to leave it blank. =)
You guys have way more faith in the passport agency than is deserved. They process passports in the order received, unless you pay for expedited. They do not look at the 'where/when are you traveling?' part of the application until they are processing it (so it doesn't really matter).

Nancy - government worker bee
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
PrettyPrincessJen
AKA "MomBomb"

For all our passports I put in our sail date/return date and the countries visited. Our passports were back in about three weeks and our birth certificates were back in five weeks.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
calismic
Mouseketeer

My daughters passport application was submitted January 19th and we received her passport in the mail on the 28th. Mine was submitted January 26th and should be received by Friday. We travel on March 14th. That's not to say they will always process this quickly but right now they are doing quite well. Note: They did NOT return our documents (birth certificates/marriage license). Those they state may take an additional week to arrive.
calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Agree w/PP. Passport turnaround times for the past two years have generally been unbelievably quick, especially considering whatever negativity some people have about government agencies. As long as the application has no issues, don't be surprised if it shows up in the 2-3 week timeframe. Put the travel dates down if u want, it may or may not help, but with how fast they're going anyway, I think probably the point is moot. Have a GREAT trip!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
But the stamp has nothing to do with anything anymore, everything is computerized.
Not really. If you go on a cruise arriving/departing the US, or take an airplane flight arriving/departing the US, then the US gov't knows all about your itinerary, including any foreign countries visited as part of that journey *as ticketed*. But once you're outside the US, you could visit any number of additional countries by land, sea, or air, and the only way the US is going to know about that in most cases is by the passport stamps. So that's why they'll sometimes flip through your passport and look at the stamps. Also, when flying to another country, the US generally doesn't know under what status you are being admitted to that country (e.g. are you a student? tourist? businessman? journalist?), and that answer is sometimes revealed by the passport stamp. That sort of information can be useful during a Customs inspection. The point is passport stamps are still much more than just a souvenir for the traveler.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
Texan920
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by maps81 View Post

Thanks for any guidance!
You just leave those blank, I filled new passport application for my boy and renew one for my daughter, I had both done and sent out on Jan. 22 and got both yesterday, Feb. 5th.

Hope you get your soon, if not always bring the birth certificate for kids, that what my travel agent told me. Hope that helps.
Texan920 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: