Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #31
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran
 
lovetotraveltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,006

I agree with the majority of the posters that it is personal preference. We are a family of 4. Our daughters are 20 something's! We are late dinners at home, 7:15 - 7:45. We've done both seatings and thought we would prefer late. But actually don't. We don't like getting ready for dinner and doing an early show. Although 5:45 is early for us we like looking forward to to the show afterwards. Also on pirate party we are hungry to enjoy the buffet. On late seating we don't want to go to bed at 9:30 and there isn't much to do then.

Just our opinion!
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #32
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,474

Great insights every one, thank you.

We're coming from SLC and generally eat by 6:00. We really want to take advantage of room service and I'm thinking that the late seating wouldn't allow for that. Pizza in the cabin before bed sounds heavenly......which leads to an entirely other question, how not to gain a ton of weight.

He says early but I'm not allowing an 11 y/o to decide.

My natural instincts say early but the thought of rushing after a day in port doesn't appeal to me. What if we miss our early dinner seating due to time or not being hungry, is room service the only other option after that?
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751





rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran
 
lovetotraveltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,006

Do you have late days in port? Port days are usually cruise casual and though they don't like it I believe you can arrive up to 6/6:15?

You can eat dinner upstairs in the buffet which becomes a sit down for dinner. All the fast food options out on deck will be open too, if you feel rushed for dinner.

We have an eight-night cruise. The first day and the cc day we will be somewhat rushed. But, to us it's still not worth doing late. Even my girls agree. It's a little early for my husband but he also enjoys having the whole night free!
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
jfugina
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 90

We did first seating on our first cruise with kids that were 7 and 3 at the time. It turned out to be too early for us. We're late eaters at home, but figured with the time zone switch, the earlier would feel more normal. Well, that turned out to not be true. We all adjusted to the time zone difference quickly, and were eating breakfast and lunch around 10 and 3, and first dinner was just too early.

DH and I (without kids) did second seating for our last cruise, and it worked out much better. Our next cruise (March 9th) will be second seating again, but with kids this time. We still think it will work better for us, because we'll be sleeping in, and doing breakfast and lunch late. Plus, we expect the kids to get fed and be whisked away to the kids club most nights, which means a nice long leisurely peaceful dessert and cordial for DH and I.
__________________
Julie F - DVC member since 2008
POR - 6/2005; OKW - 10/2007; SSR - 12/2008; AKV - 11/2009; BLT - 3/2010; VWL - 9/2010; AKV - 10/2011
Disney Wonder - 3/2010
Disney Dream - 2/2012
Disney Fantasy - 3/2013
jfugina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
Boos14
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 60

We do 1st seating. It's too late for us. Nice to eat then relax at the evening show. Kids then have time to go back to clubs and have fun for a few my hours.
Boos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #36
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

If you miss your 1st seating dinner, you could go to Cabanas/BBB/Topsiders to have the MDR menus served to you, go to the quick serve places, or room service.

I'll bet you could also go see your head waiter and ask if he can squeeze you in to the late seating for that night. With only 2 people, I'm sure it can be done. A party of 10? Less likely. You may not have your same servers and you may be at a large table for just two of you, but they are very nice about accommodating requests.

Second seating usually has fewer people. Even on our Christmas cruise which was full, there were several empty tables every night at the second seating. I'm sure they could figure something out.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #37
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotraveltx View Post
Do you have late days in port? Port days are usually cruise casual and though they don't like it I believe you can arrive up to 6/6:15?

You can eat dinner upstairs in the buffet which becomes a sit down for dinner. All the fast food options out on deck will be open too, if you feel rushed for dinner.

We have an eight-night cruise. The first day and the cc day we will be somewhat rushed. But, to us it's still not worth doing late. Even my girls agree. It's a little early for my husband but he also enjoys having the whole night free!


Thank you! That's great because on our Cozumel day it says 7:30-5:45, does that mean the ship takes off at 5:45? I'd hate to arrive at 5:00, not be ready in time for dinner, and have no options aside from room service.


Can I ask another dining related question......what's the rotation for restaurants, who chooses the rotation, and does it matter what order they're in or what you get?
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751





rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #38
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
If you miss your 1st seating dinner, you could go to Cabanas/BBB/Topsiders to have the MDR menus served to you, go to the quick serve places, or room service.

I'll bet you could also go see your head waiter and ask if he can squeeze you in to the late seating for that night. With only 2 people, I'm sure it can be done. A party of 10? Less likely. You may not have your same servers and you may be at a large table for just two of you, but they are very nice about accommodating requests.

Second seating usually has fewer people. Even on our Christmas cruise which was full, there were several empty tables every night at the second seating. I'm sure they could figure something out.

Nancy

Thank you Nancy. What's MDR? We'll be on the Wonder.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751





rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #39
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

MDR is Main dining rooms. Each night at BBB (the buffet restaurant on the Wonder) they'll have dinner from about 6-8 with a selection of the same items that are on the MDR menus for that night; not every item, but a selection. You don't have to dress up, you don't need a reservation.

You are way overthinking this! If you are in a port an all aboard is 5, you WILL be on the ship by 5 because it will pull away immediately. You can look at your iterary and see the All Aboard times and most are well before the dinner time of 5:45. Only you know if you'll have enough time to get ready for dinner. My family? We could get on board at 5:30 and make a 5:45 with three showers and an outfit change. We're fast. If you are on a Disney excursion, they'll get you back. If you are on your own, YOU'LL be back long before the All Aboard.

You'll get your restaurant rotation when you check in. You'll be assigned to an order of restaurants, like APPTTA (Animator's, Parrots, Parrots, etc.) and you'll have the same waiter and table mates throughout the cruise. It will be fine! If you are running late or just don't want to dress but do want a nice sit-down dinner, just go to BBB on your schedule.

Don't freak about these things. You won't go hungry, you WILL miss something at some point because you can't do it all, but you may not even know you missed it. My daughter and I did a 4 day cruise and never ordered room service, didn't eat at the pirates buffet, never went to the munchies outside the bars and we still had more food than we should have and fun. We liked our main dining room servers and just ate as scheduled.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
MDR is Main dining rooms. Each night at BBB (the buffet restaurant on the Wonder) they'll have dinner from about 6-8 with a selection of the same items that are on the MDR menus for that night; not every item, but a selection. You don't have to dress up, you don't need a reservation.

You are way overthinking this! If you are in a port an all aboard is 5, you WILL be on the ship by 5 because it will pull away immediately. You can look at your iterary and see the All Aboard times and most are well before the dinner time of 5:45. Only you know if you'll have enough time to get ready for dinner. My family? We could get on board at 5:30 and make a 5:45 with three showers and an outfit change. We're fast. If you are on a Disney excursion, they'll get you back. If you are on your own, YOU'LL be back long before the All Aboard.

You'll get your restaurant rotation when you check in. You'll be assigned to an order of restaurants, like APPTTA (Animator's, Parrots, Parrots, etc.) and you'll have the same waiter and table mates throughout the cruise. It will be fine! If you are running late or just don't want to dress but do want a nice sit-down dinner, just go to BBB on your schedule.

Don't freak about these things. You won't go hungry, you WILL miss something at some point because you can't do it all, but you may not even know you missed it. My daughter and I did a 4 day cruise and never ordered room service, didn't eat at the pirates buffet, never went to the munchies outside the bars and we still had more food than we should have and fun. We liked our main dining room servers and just ate as scheduled.

Nancy


I'm so over thinking it. We're fast like your family. Thank you for the reality check. I'm a huge planner and then end up only doing about 1/4 of what I think we'll do. Last October in WDW, I made 9 ADRs and I think we made 4 of them.

I'm sure we'll eat WAY more than we should. He's ecstatic over the room service.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751





rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #41
QuiltTeddy
DIS Veteran
 
QuiltTeddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Too Far From Disney
Posts: 1,662

Last because there are less kids and getting ready for the early seating cuts down on the day.
__________________




WDW Honeymoon - 1981
WDW - 1999 & Joined DVC
BWV - December, 2000 & December, 2005
WDW/Magic - Eastern - 2002
WDW/Magic - Western - 2003
25th Anniv. Cruise to Alaska on HAL- 2006
30th Anniv. Cruise to MR- Wonder - 04-03-11
Dream Cruise 03-22-12
Magic Southern Carribean 09-20-14
QuiltTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #42
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer
 
ElenaRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznystar View Post
We always do late seating...even when DS was 3...it gives you the whole day to do as much as you can fit in and not have to rush to get to dinner. Plus, we're always so full after dinner, you pretty much can't do anything but relax. I just feel like we've wasted a good bit of the day with early seating.
I totally agree! I would hate to leave CC early to go back and shower for dinner.
__________________
DVC member @ BLT since '08
Silver CC Member (Going for Platinum)
ElenaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #43
JnDRader
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Outside Atlanta
Posts: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Trying to decide what seating we'd like better. It'll be myself and DS12.


Please share which you chose for your cruise and why.
First. You don't want to be around my wife or kids when they're truly hungry . First seating is closer to our normal dinner time. Dinner and a show sounds better than a show and a dinner anyway.
__________________


JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #44
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaRN View Post
I totally agree! I would hate to leave CC early to go back and shower for dinner.

Our CC days says 8:30-4:45. It doesn't seem like we'll be rushed. Is the 4:45 the time the ship takes off? Dinner is at 5:45. I have no clue though as we've never done this.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751





rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #45
GusGus77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 564

Even though we have two young kids and eat early at home, we will be trying late seating next time. We did main seating last time and felt REALLY rushed to get to the meal on time, especially after CC. It will be weird to see the show first, but I think I will feel better not being as rushed.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.