DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
VincentNC313
Earning My Ears

Question ...and now for something completely different?

Hi fellow DVCers!

I purchased in '93 and with each visit, I've tried to present something 'different', something 'new' to the family as a surprise. In recent years, we did things like an Illuminations Cruise or the Segway/Epcot tour. And now, I'm sorta' wondering what's next? What haven't we done? I'm actually thinking about doing the Illuminations Cruise or perhaps some other similar cruise, but I knew if I asked seasoned DVC veterans there might be some golden ideas here for me to pluck from? So -- are there? Please feel free to pitch anything and everything. Thanks!

Vincent
VincentNC313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
WDWbeat
Earning My Ears

Can you tell us the general ages of the family members staying with you and some of the other things you've done in the past so you don't get too many repeats? Do you have a budget for these "new" things?

WDWbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
jara1528
Mouseketeer

I'm not a seasoned DVC member but I've been to Disney a bunch of times!
I'm not sure what you have done in the past but I thought I throw a few ideas out there...
We went on the steam engine tour at Magic Kingdom and we really enjoyed it. Our tour guide was great. We've also done the Family Magic tour but it is definitely geared toward younger children.

I would love to have lunch with an Imagineer...someday I'll convince my hubby that it will be fun!

I've also read about about a private dining experience at the Grand Floridian where you would dine on a balcony with a specialty menu and your own wait staff.

My boys are 15 and 14 and I can't wait until they are both sixteen and we can do some of the backstage tours and the segway experiences. Should be fun!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
HockeyMomNH
DIS Veteran

I have been trying to do this with my DD for the last several trips too. Next up for us is the surf board lesson at TL. She also wants to do the diving at the Living Seas in Epcot.

Other ideas:
horseback riding at FW
Cirque du Solei
AK savanna tour
pirate makeovers
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Escape Artist
Planning another getaway

Our new "things" on this last trip were the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party (a great last-night-of-the-trip thing) and the Wild Africa Trek. Both were wonderful and worth it!

Happy planning!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Escape Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentNC313 View Post
Hi fellow DVCers!

I purchased in '93 and with each visit, I've tried to present something 'different', something 'new' to the family as a surprise. In recent years, we did things like an Illuminations Cruise or the Segway/Epcot tour. And now, I'm sorta' wondering what's next? What haven't we done? I'm actually thinking about doing the Illuminations Cruise or perhaps some other similar cruise, but I knew if I asked seasoned DVC veterans there might be some golden ideas here for me to pluck from? So -- are there? Please feel free to pitch anything and everything. Thanks!

Vincent
Have you done the Wild Africa Trek? We did that in October and had a ball. I could do it again. We also have done the Backstage Safari that was very interesting. We toured the kitchen at AK where the meals for the animals are prepared as part of the tour. Also the veterinary area.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
DisneyBill

DIS Veteran

We made it a point to experience one of the 3 mini golf courses during separate trips.
DisneyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
SamSam

DIS Veteran

We have done many of the tours and have enjoyed all of them. Wild Africa Trek was our latest and it was amazing, we're actually going to do it again.

Backstage magic,Segway in Epcot, Backwoods Segway (starting in Fort Wilderness), Epcot tour (don't remember the name), Backstage Safari, Savannah tour at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Honestly, just pick a tour..we've never been disappointed.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
WDWbeat
Earning My Ears

We've tried to do something new also the last few years but couldn't do the tours we wanted until my DS turned 16. Now we've done UnDiscovered Future World (Epcot) and will soon be doing Keys to the Kingdom (MK). Before that we had tried one of the mini-golf courses and one of our most fun "new" events was archery at FW.

WDWbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

We've done almost all too and we've rented a beachcomber shack at Typhoon Lagoon the last 2 times and have enjoyed our family water park days.

How about parasailing at the Contemporary. My group loved that.

Our favorite experience was a scavenger hunt through MK arranged through Gifts of a Lifetime.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
spruce
DIS Veteran

We had a dining experience on a pontoon in the 7 seas lagoon then watched the fireworks. I always wanted to do this again but on the yacht insead
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

To celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary we did a private dessert party held at the UK during illuminations. We had 11 people ranging in age from 8-52. Everyone very much enjoyed it.
We've also done the balloon at DTD. That was a lot less expensive. Pick a pearl in Japan, mini golf, Disney Quest, Typhoon Lagoon - shark encounter, (although the last two most dvc'ers do more regularly than us).

Like a pp said, it really depends on what your budget is and the ages of your family. I know it can be a challenge finding things special to add to an already spectacular vacation. Good luck and have fun!

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

One thing we really enjoyed recently was a beachcomer shack at Typhoon Lagoon. We loved having some shade, privacy and elbow room and it was nice having the locker right in the shack. The rental also included free towels, a refillable mug and bottled water in a cooler in the shack. There is a CM attendant who can bring lunch and other food or beverage orders to the shack.

It runs about $319 for a full day, which includes up to 6 guests. You can have more than 6, but they change another $25 for each additional person. The pricing high, but it was really nice not having to scramble for chairs and worry about leaving personal items alone while off using the park. We're getting one for our July trip and surprising my brother's family, who will be joining us on this trip.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Here are a few of the things I have not yet done, but really want to try:

A couple hours of water skiing/rafting with Sammy Duvall (summer)
Archery lessons at Fort Wilderness
The Steam Train tour at MK
The early morning fishing trip that goes into World Showcase.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

If you love animals and Sanaa, have you done Lunch with the Animal Keeper, the luncheon at Sanaa resturaunt with one of the people who supervises animal keepers at AKL? I've done it twice and loved it both times. Also, I've enjoyed the Wanyama sunset safari, touring the savannas at both Kidani and Jambo. That includes dinner at Jiko, and is kind of expensive at $190, but really nice. Unlike the sunrise safari, you don't have to be concierge, but I think, unlike the luncheon, you do have to be staying at AKV.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: