Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
nursegrl507
Earning My Ears

yak and yeti

Booked yak and yeti for the first time for our upcoming trip. I would like some honest reviews of this place.....how the food and atmosphere? I am torn if I want to keep this ADR or book something at Downtown Disney.
nursegrl507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursegrl507 View Post
Booked yak and yeti for the first time for our upcoming trip. I would like some honest reviews of this place.....how the food and atmosphere? I am torn if I want to keep this ADR or book something at Downtown Disney.
I like Yak & Yeti. It's one of the few sit down options at AK (the others being Tusker House and Rainforest Cafe).

Atmosphere: it fits in very well with it's surroundings. There is a story that goes with the resturant, which helps explain the decor and look of the place. It has two stories; I've always been seated upstairs. The rooms are well light (with both artificial and natural lighting) and feel very airy. There is a lot to look at if you want.

Food: The food is kind of mixed bag for me. I love the entrees, but none of the appetizers or desserts really do much for me. I've ordered the mandarin chicken salad, which has really good flavor. The duck is excellent; that's a favorite among my party. The ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender. The shrimp and steak was also really good.

The dim sum basket for two was okay, but nothing spectacular. In this way, I'm probably biased because I can get really good dim sum at home, so this didn't compare in any way. If you're not used to dim sum, them perhaps you'd enjoy the basket more. As for the desserts, the fried wontons are really popular. I don't really like cream cheese and the cream cheese flavor was really strong.

Service: The service is okay to good. We've had really attentive servers and one that was not around very much. Overall, I think the service is fine.

Overall, I very much enjoy having a meal at Yak & Yeti. My family orders entrees there and then heads out into the park for dessert. It's a nice and relaxing place to have a meal and take a break from the heat/humidity of the park.
figment_jii is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
kat3668
Mouseketeer
Driving me nuts is a short trip!
The TF wishes you a Happy Birthday even if you do run like a duck!

I love Yak and Yeti!!! A real hidden gem IMHO! I always eat there every trip and have never had a bad meal there! (even the one where the waiter spilled a whole tray of beer on me!) Love the Mahi Mahi and the ribs! Dont miss out on the pineapple wonton dessert one of the best desserts in all WDW!
Great now I'm hungry!
kat3668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
nursegrl507
Earning My Ears

thanks everyone. I think I will keep our ADR and try something different for once LOL
nursegrl507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

My experience there was not so great. Service was O.K., but we waited a long time for our meal. We ordered our appy and meal it took like 20 minutes to get the appy, then another 40 minutes to get our meal. Everyone raves about the cream cheese wontons, I love cream cheese, and they were not a hit with me. Everything else was O.K.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
owl0306
Mouseketeer

1st time we went we could not wait to go back. second time was awful. food was cold and nasty, waitress was awful.
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Nohal
DIS Veteran

We've been there 3 times and the food was good each time. Last year the service wasn't so good. Waiter never came back to check on us or give us refills on our drinks and we waited a long time for the check. DH always gets the Mahi Mahi and I have had the honey chicken and ribs. Cream Cheese wontons IMHO are the best desert in all of Disney.
Nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

We like it and are going back. It's a nice sit down take a break place for us and I liked the cocktails and I have to tell you it took a lot of doing to get my husband into a place he thought was called Yacking Yeti.

Maybe we have too many cats who are prone to furballs.

Anyway loved the tuna 3 ways loved the won ton dessert, DS loved the Kobe burger and mama loved the cocktails
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMeansDawn View Post
We like it and are going back. It's a nice sit down take a break place for us and I liked the cocktails and I have to tell you it took a lot of doing to get my husband into a place he thought was called Yacking Yeti. :rotfl2

That's cute!

We really enjoyed our meal there. Our meals consisted of the duck, kobe burger and maple tamarind chicken, all really good. We are going back in August!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
matthewclabaugh
I Love Disney!!

this last year was the first time that we ate there, and we loved it, and we were surprised when we got there, we had 2 separate ADR'S originally because over the phone disney dining told us that we had to split our party, so our party of 7 was split into a party of 5 and a party of 2 for noon and 12:30, all of us arrived at 11:50 am and we were told that we could all be together at the same table and they just combined both ressies. So the experience started out wonderful, and only got better from there. We found the food to be great, and the service to be awsome. This restaurant was ranked on our list of top restaurants that our whole party ate at
Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
kaybird
DIS Veteran

It is our MUST do restaurant every trip. Fell in love with it before it was built and we saw the artist drawings. Love to schedule during the parade, and watch from the restaurant window! I post my pics all the time so I'll forego that, but assure you that the Skirt steak & Shrimp, and the Won Ton dessert are WONDERFUL!!!

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
dutchdisneyfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMeansDawn View Post
We like it and are going back. It's a nice sit down take a break place for us and I liked the cocktails and I have to tell you it took a lot of doing to get my husband into a place he thought was called Yacking Yeti.

Maybe we have too many cats who are prone to furballs.

Anyway loved the tuna 3 ways loved the won ton dessert, DS loved the Kobe burger and mama loved the cocktails
I'm literally LOL at this.

I can't offer opinions, but we're giving it a try for the first time this June. It looks like something we would really enjoy.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
shoney
DIS Veteran

my favorite entree of our week....curry seafood dish! I am not really a dessert eater but I did enjoy a taste of the wonton dessert! I really liked it!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
jml06fsu
Earning My Ears

We LOVE Yak & Yeti! The lettuce cups and pan-seared dumplings are awesome.

I DREAM about the (spicy version) Malaysian seafood curry!! It's SO good!

Everyone in my family has their own favorites though...the steak & shrimp is great, the ribs are tender and flavorful, the mahi mahi is yummy etc. We have never ordered the wok dishes (honey ck, bourbon ck..) just because it's something we could get at any mall/Asian take-out place...and Disney puts a hefty price tag on simple meals like that lol.

For dessert we get a few orders of the cream cheese wontons because we all love them and fight over them. The mango pie is a must-do for us as well...it has that "bite" that you get from a real mango. Yummm!

Service is always great!
jml06fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

heres our review
http://www.jamboeveryone.com/Blog/En..._and_Yeit.html

I too love the lettuce cups, dumplings and egg rolls

i had the burger last week it was good

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote