Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I think my friend is raising her own special snowflake

I learned the special snowflake term here on the Dis and I love it. And it so applies to my friend. Here's some examples why: DS has not slept through the night since he was born, 17 months ago. Why? He wakes up every night so she changes him b/c he has sensitive skin. Legit. And then they PLAY until he goes back to sleep. DS can't have a French fry. Got it. But the next day he can have all the ruffles chips he wants. DS can't have a cupcake a mom's sprinkle for new baby. But he can have 2 vanilla muffins and 3 slices of raisin bread.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

She has cancelled on me 5 times in the past 3 weeks because DS hasn't woken up from his nap yet and he doesn't like to be woken up, even though he's been asleep 2.5 hours.

And the best one - DS is getting his own iPad and data plan so he stays awake in the car on short trips by watching videos.

I love my friend and her son is cute, but I didn't know the world revolved around him! Do you have any friends with "special snowflake" syndrome?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

Your friend is in for a rude awakening when #2 comes along. I think she will be stopping some of these rules and ideas soon.

Don't forget, though. Most parents are really just doing the very best they can for their children.

I just read your second post. Rule #1 - Never wake a sleeping baby.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

I have a 7 year old nephew who I love dearly but my sister is raising a snowflake.

We had him sleep over 2 nights and had my other nephew, 4 years old during the day. We went to Target to buy the boys slippers for my house (hardwood floors) and I bought my 17 year old daughter something for an upcoming trip (she is an exchange student going to France). 7 year old started to complain about it wasn't fair that she got something and he didn't.

I nipped that right in the bud and told him he was getting slippers when she wasn't and also I could spend my money however I liked, that I didn't have to be fair.

His parents don't make him clean up his toys or be responsible for them. If he breaks them he just gets more toys.

He will only eat a few foods. When we suggested he try au gratin potatoes he started crying. I am a picky eater myself so I don't pressure kids too much. I was astounded that he would cry over something so minor.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
She has cancelled on me 5 times in the past 3 weeks because DS hasn't woken up from his nap yet and he doesn't like to be woken up, even though he's been asleep 2.5 hours.

And the best one - DS is getting his own iPad and data plan so he stays awake in the car on short trips by watching videos.

I love my friend and her son is cute, but I didn't know the world revolved around him! Do you have any friends with "special snowflake" syndrome?
You are pregnant, right?

You will discover soon enough you never wake a sleeping baby.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyboat

I just read your second post. Rule #1 - Never wake a sleeping baby.
I would agree, but then don't make plans with me during nap time!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan

I would agree, but then don't make plans with me during nap time!
Because you can always predict when a baby will nap. I'm thinking parents need to worry about their own perfect parenting before calling out others...
Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne

You are pregnant, right?

You will discover soon enough you never wake a sleeping baby.
I know. But she offers to go somewhere during nap time and then cancels on me! I let her pick the time so it works around his schedule and she still cancels. Or she lets him sleep for 4 hours in the afternoon and texts me at 11pm that he won't sleep!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I know. But she offers to go somewhere during nap time and then cancels on me! I let her pick the time so it works around his schedule and she still cancels. Or she lets him sleep for 4 hours in the afternoon and texts me at 11pm that he won't sleep!
Parenting is not an exact science, believe me. I have been doing it for over 13 years and I still have no clue what I am doing.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

It is far easier to parent before you are one.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
scoutie
DIS Veteran

Do you have kids?

First time parents do all sorts of crazy things. It's just part of the learning curve.

I had lots of opinions before I had kids.....and then I had kids.

I would agree that some of the things your friend is doing doesn't seem to make much sense, but nothing she is doing is dangerous or worrisome. I doubt that she's raising an entitled, bratty kid. She'll figure things out.

Quote:
The whole sleep thing is one thing that tripped me up every time. Just when a pattern would emerged, something would happen to make everything go haywire. Sometimes, my toddler would always nap at 12, and other times he would be so tired that I would have to put him down earlier. Sometimes, he would wake up really early and be ready for an earlier nap. Sometimes, the opposite would happen. Honestly...until you have kids, I wouldn't say anything, because the universe has a way of giving us just the type of kid we deserve. (and I mean that in a very light-hearted way!) :P
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

The op is pregnant and has read a parenting book.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie
Do you have kids?

First time parents do all sorts of crazy things. It's just part of the learning curve.

I had lots of opinions before I had kids.....and then I had kids.

I would agree that some of the things your friend is doing doesn't seem to make much sense, but nothing she is doing is dangerous or worrisome. I doubt that she's raising an entitled, bratty kid. She'll figure things out.
Sigh, I know. And I will make mistakes. It's just frustrating to get text after text saying " I haven't slept through the night since he was born" and "he pitched a fit because we forgot his iPad for the restaurant" and " I have no friends and never get to go out" day after day. I'm always supportive in my responses even though she criticizes my decisions during my pregnancy.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
scoutie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The op is pregnant and has read a parenting book.
Got it.

I always hated when people told me, "Just wait and see...." But....really. Just wait and see. Just when you think you have things figured out, things change around. Then, when you have your second, they are COMPLETELY different from your first. Your third? Going out of his way to trip me up.

When are you due? Congratulations!!!!

Quote:
I'm always supportive in my responses even though she criticizes my decisions during my pregnancy.
That's frustrating. People will always have opinions about everything child-related. It's best to do what you know is best for you and your baby.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Ok I just don't get why her criticizing you is bad and you ragging on her is appropriate.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: