Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
Angeejoe
Mouseketeer

BC

Pros:

1. Location, location, location!
2. Storm A Long Bay is awesome
3. Closest walk to Epcot
4. Boat launch to DHS & Epcot
5. Beautiful hotel
6. Yachtsmen Steakhouse
7. Ice cream @ Beaches & Cream
8. Drinks @ Hurricane
9. Dinner @ Cape May (1 of DHs favs)
10. Awesome water view of the Boardwalk at night
11. Watching fireworks from Epocot while swimming in SAB
12. Great decor in lobby
13. Marketplace

Cons:

1. 2nd in bus pick up
2. Busy lobby
3. Juliette balconies
Enjoy
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
spodie
Mouseketeer

I agree with the people who say that YC is quieter than BC. I prefer YC because it is quieter, yet I can still take advantage of Stormalong Bay, or pretty much everything else the resort has to offer. Yes, YC doesn't have a quick service restaurant to pick up a quick breakfast or snack, but I have found that it's easier to eat a granola bar that I brought with me to get my day started, and pick up a quick breakfast in the parks a couple hours later.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

Also YC

We experienced the same thing for that same basic week in May--no standard or garden view rooms available at BC. This will be our first time staying on site as my daughter (11, turning 12 on the holiday) and I stayed at Hilton Bonnet Creek last year. (We are also bringing her 11 year old best friend with us.) However, when my daughter saw the YC she was smitten with the decor, etc., which kind of made me chuckle because it does *look* a little stuffy. But very nice. My question is: how far exactly (realizing there are variables, so I guess not exactly) is the walk over to BC to the marketplace??
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
Angeejoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwitt View Post
We experienced the same thing for that same basic week in May--no standard or garden view rooms available at BC. This will be our first time staying on site as my daughter (11, turning 12 on the holiday) and I stayed at Hilton Bonnet Creek last year. (We are also bringing her 11 year old best friend with us.) However, when my daughter saw the YC she was smitten with the decor, etc., which kind of made me chuckle because it does *look* a little stuffy. But very nice. My question is: how far exactly (realizing there are variables, so I guess not exactly) is the walk over to BC to the marketplace??
While the BC/YC building share a middle wall, they do not actually connect. You can walk all the way through YC past Yatchmans Steakhouse, go out the door near there, walk behind SAB past arcade & fitness center, and in back door at BC that takes you past Cape May, then to lobby, Go through lobby to Marketplace. So depending where you are in YC, how long elevator takes, I bet at least 10-15 mins.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
madalex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe View Post
While the BC/YC building share a middle wall, they do not actually connect. You can walk all the way through YC past Yatchmans Steakhouse, go out the door near there, walk behind SAB past arcade & fitness center, and in back door at BC that takes you past Cape May, then to lobby, Go through lobby to Marketplace. So depending where you are in YC, how long elevator takes, I bet at least 10-15 mins.
Walk from YC lobby to BC marketplace is less than 5 minutes. (I can walk from the lobby all the way to Epcot in 7 - 9 minutes.)
madalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Angeejoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madalex View Post
Walk from YC lobby to BC marketplace is less than 5 minutes. (I can walk from the lobby all the way to Epcot in 7 - 9 minutes.)
I agree that walk from YC lobby is only about 5 minutes, but the real issue is where your room is located (if you are coming from your room, ie for breakfast). Our stay at YC last year had us in the farthest room possible from the elevator on the 4th floor, we were the very last room closest to BC! So by the time we would walk down several LONG hallways to get to elevator & then waited for elevator it took 5-7 minutes. We used the stairs several times as it exited near Yachtman Steakhouse (which we were above) but DH has had several knee surgeries & it was painful but we took stairs in interest of time. The room was really nice with king bed, full balcony & windows on the side that overlooked BC. We did ask for room near elevator, but did not get it as we also wanted king & full balcony.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #22
njprincess601
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your advice everyone! I just called and made reservations for the Yacht Club! We like the idea of it being a little quieter and being guaranteed a balcony. And my family are big boaters so we love the theming too! We are SO excited!
njprincess601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njprincess601 View Post
My family is thinking of staying at one of these resorts in May. What are the major differences between the two? And which one do you prefer?
YC! We stayed at the YC Aug 2012 and really liked it. We chose the YC as a full balcony or patio is a deal breaker for us. We would not have been happy at the BC with a standing balcony or none at all. YC rooms have more balconies and patios, so it was not a hard choice for us.

BC is a little closer to EPCOT than YC, but for our room location, maybe 1-2 min longer. Not a big deal at all.

The boat launch is right in front of the YC, it was right outside our patio door, super convenient location.

The lobby's do not connect, but it only takes a few minutes to get from one lobby to the other.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

We are staying at the YC in August for the first time. It took us a while to choose between BC or YC. For me I wanted a balcony and we are traveling with family. Having a 50 /50 chance then add 2 rooms into play. I went with the YC because the balcony is a definite. I can not wait! I have to say either choice you are winning!

Have a great trip!

Me, DH, DD7, DS3

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamkat1820 View Post
We are staying at the YC in August for the first time. It took us a while to choose between BC or YC. For me I wanted a balcony and we are traveling with family. Having a 50 /50 chance then add 2 rooms into play. I went with the YC because the balcony is a definite. I can not wait! I have to say either choice you are winning!

Have a great trip!
We did Aug 2012 trip at YC. It's a great place to stay in Aug. SAB is crowded and you might not find a place to sit. We did not find the pool itself crowded, as it is really big. We were checked at entrance for our room keys and given a wristband for daily entry. Hurricane Hannah's is great for a quick bite, there a few tables in the shade to eat.

Our favorite meal of the trip was the dinner buffet at Cape May, well worth the walk to the BC lobby.

We requested a 1st floor room, close to the lobby and a day bed. We got the 1st floor room and a day bed. Our room was pretty far from the lobby, but it was still ok. Patios are pretty large and very convenient. If you can book a water view, we had a wonderful view of Crescent lake and the BW. We got to watch the higher Illuminations Fireworks at night, it was wonderful.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

We just got back from a stay at POR and DH said our next trip (July or Aug) absolutely HAD to be at YC or BC. The location and transportation situation is what locks it in for us since our favorite parks as a family is DHS and Epcot.

I have a question about quiet pools--I read the BC/YC thread but it was hard for me to ascertain exactly how many quiet pools each resort has and if hot tubs are at the quiet pools. There was not a hot tub at POR quiet pools and that was basically a deal breaker for DH (he loves to relax for a bit after a long park day).

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite

I'm officially addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
Angeejoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean View Post
We just got back from a stay at POR and DH said our next trip (July or Aug) absolutely HAD to be at YC or BC. The location and transportation situation is what locks it in for us since our favorite parks as a family is DHS and Epcot.

I have a question about quiet pools--I read the BC/YC thread but it was hard for me to ascertain exactly how many quiet pools each resort has and if hot tubs are at the quiet pools. There was not a hot tub at POR quiet pools and that was basically a deal breaker for DH (he loves to relax for a bit after a long park day).
I believe each hotel has 1 quiet pool with 1 hot tub. We used the quiet pool at BC a lot more than SAB on our 2011 stay because our room overlooked the quiet pool & it was closest. For our 2012 YC stay we only used SAB as it was closest, so we never went to YC quiet pool as it was on the exact opposite end of where we stayed at YC.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe

I believe each hotel has 1 quiet pool with 1 hot tub. We used the quiet pool at BC a lot more than SAB on our 2011 stay because our room overlooked the quiet pool & it was closest. For our 2012 YC stay we only used SAB as it was closest, so we never went to YC quiet pool as it was on the exact opposite end of where we stayed at YC.
Thank you!!

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite

I'm officially addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #29
Angeejoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean View Post
Thank you!!
You're welcome Lizzybean! Have a great trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: