Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #61
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
That has already been discussed to death on another thread. Not everyone has a straightforward situation that makes it easy to get their withholdings just right. Good for you for getting to that point.
Not loaning the govt the money helped get to that point.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #62
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

1. set money aside for car insurance for the year
2. buy outdoor cameras for our house (someone's been going into the backyards and breaking into the homes in our area)
3. maybe a new matress (ours is old and my body is sore every morning)
4. towards some of dh's cc debt

luckily my car and dd's braces will be paid off next month so will leave us tax money to use on the above items.

Dh is finally on the same page as me and we are going to try and be debtfree in 2 years besides our mortgage. Next years taxes will also go to the remaining creditcard debt
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #63
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post
We do not use the government as a non-interest bearing savings account & loan. We prefer a small refund & prefer to receive the money in our paychecks, where we put some into a high (lol - right) interest bearing savings account. House & all debt is paid off.

Earning some interest is better than loaning it to the government interest free.

Makes even less sense to loan it to the government while you are paying interest on a credit card balance.
As some other posters have pointed out, we discussed the pros and cons of this to death just a short time ago.

Enjoy!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3053763
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #64
Fredericks44
Earning My Ears

We get a tiny refund- some will buy a bunk bed for dd and the rest is getting saved for disney, of course
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #65
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer

We will be buying new living room furniture (and after only 5 years how dare we lol)

And paying for our May Disney trip
Bnb0627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #66
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

If we get a refund, it will join the others in our investments for retirement account.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #67
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
Tell ya what? I'll replace our furniture when I see fit, and you do the same! K?
Why would anybody comment on this???
wow.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2apirate&princess View Post
We are moving into a house on base and have a few months left on our lease so our taxes are going to the extra rent payments. Hopefully the house rents soon and we wont have to use it on that!
What base in TX if you don't mind me asking. We just moved from Ft. Hood last year.

As to the OP...

We just bought a house, so we will be paying some things off.

Maybe a small home project, like replacing the baseboards and painting the bathroom.

I would really like to get a corner reef aquarium going in my living room because I have a weird spot behind the corner of my sectional couch, but I might have to just settle for a plant or something for a while.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #68
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup
We do not use the government as a non-interest bearing savings account & loan. We prefer a small refund & prefer to receive the money in our paychecks, where we put some into a high (lol - right) interest bearing savings account. House & all debt is paid off.

Earning some interest is better than loaning it to the government interest free.

Makes even less sense to loan it to the government while you are paying interest on a credit card balance.
That wasn't an answer to the question. Your way is not the only way but good for you. There is always somebody who pops up doesn't answer the question but preaches that their way is the only correct way.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #69
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
That wasn't an answer to the question. Your way is not the only way but good for you. There is always somebody who pops up doesn't answer the question but preaches that their way is the only correct way.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #70
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

We will probably use ours to beef up various savings pots - for future medical expenses, flights home to visit our families (we live far away), auto maintenance for the future, etc. Don't have any plans to really spend it right away. Well, DH really wants to get a tablet, so maybe.

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #71
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

New roof. Wish it could be something more exciting.... even a deposit in DD's college fund would make me happier. But a storm last week tore off 10+ shingles and the roofing contactors are saying that the roof is too far gone for just a repair. We knew it was coming, but were hoping to hold out a few more years.......................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #72
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1 View Post
It's not hard to figure out. Just adjust your withholdings. The irs puts out a calculator every year to help with this. Just google irs withholding calculator and it will come up. It is not up for this year yet but it should be coming soon.
That is simple if your situation is simple - earned income from a single job (or a single job per working adult) with no significant income from other sources over the course of the year and no major changes in circumstance. But in more complicated situations it isn't so straightforward and when dealing with the IRS it generally doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution, especially right now when that money would be earning less than 1% interest anyway.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #73
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
Boring... Half on our mortgage, and the other half to the kid's resp funds. We won't be getting a big refund though; I don't think there are the deductions here that there are in the US.
It isn't really about there being a difference in deductions so much as how you manipulate them. For example, here (Canada) when you start a job you get a form to fill out with all the possible deductions you'll be eligible to claim, which is used to calculate how much tax should be removed on each pay cheque (based on an estimate of your final tax burden). On this form, you can ask them to withhold an extra amount of taxes - nominally this is for those who have an additional source of income (say investments) and want to cover the taxes on this other income (which isn't taxed at source), however you can use it to create a situation where you get a big refund. You can re-do this form at any time (at least, I can at my work - I think some only let you do it for January). Places like the UK this doesn't hold true.

I am one who tries to come up neither owing nor getting a refund, but I will err on the side of a small refund. If I get a refund and I haven't filled my RRSP (our retirement plans) or my TFSA (a tax free savings account, with a limit of $5,500 deposits each year) by the time I get the refund, the money goes there. Otherwise, it goes in the general investment account.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #74
MissManda
DIS Veteran

We are getting a larger refund than normal this year. I really should put it into savings, but we are "splurging" on all new bedroom furniture and mattresses.

DH and I are still using furniture that I got from my great grandmother when I moved into my first apartment. I moved in 1999 and who knows how long she had it before then. I'm also replacing my mattress which isn't that old, but I really hate it. My nephew who lives with us, has been using my great aunt's furniture. The furniture is all in really great shape, but I feel like its time for a change (probably well past time actually). Hoping to donate the existing furniture so someone else can get some use out of it!

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #75
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

Im putting some of my refund to my solo trip in april. Some goes to paying car taxes, and the rest will go into the emergency savings fund.
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: