Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
buzzrelly
DIS Veteran

Walk around the lagoon?

Hello...I'm being a weirdo and listening to the Monorail monologue on MusicTube, and the announcer said, "right in front of the MK is a walkway that will eventually circle 3.5 miles around the lagoon." Is this an idea they had planned and then ditched? Or is this still in the works? I had never head of it before, but it sounds like it must have been a firm plan if the Monorail recording mentioned it. Anyone know anything about it?
1989 Off Site-2003 Contemporary Resort-2006 Old Key West-2008 Caribbean Beach Resort-2010 Contemporary Resort-2012 Disney Cruise Line Magic-2013 Contemporary Resort-2013 Beach Club -2014 POP Century with Dance the World

buzzrelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzrelly View Post
Hello...I'm being a weirdo and listening to the Monorail monologue on MusicTube, and the announcer said, "right in front of the MK is a walkway that will eventually circle 3.5 miles around the lagoon." Is this an idea they had planned and then ditched? Or is this still in the works? I had never head of it before, but it sounds like it must have been a firm plan if the Monorail recording mentioned it. Anyone know anything about it?
The main hangup I'm sure are the two waterways in and out of the main lagoon. One is west of MK and stores the barges for the Electric Water Pageant, and the other of course connects to Bay Lake. How to bridge these two waterways with a walkway would be the main engineering and cost challenge I assume.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
buzzrelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2

The main hangup I'm sure are the two waterways in and out of the main lagoon. One is west of MK and stores the barges for the Electric Water Pageant, and the other of course connects to Bay Lake. How to bridge these two waterways with a walkway would be the main engineering and cost challenge I assume.
So you think they were planning it and the plan got hung up because of the water? Wouldn't you think they would have thought about that before they kind of announced it?
1989 Off Site-2003 Contemporary Resort-2006 Old Key West-2008 Caribbean Beach Resort-2010 Contemporary Resort-2012 Disney Cruise Line Magic-2013 Contemporary Resort-2013 Beach Club -2014 POP Century with Dance the World

Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Yeah- it was a plan that was ditched quite awhile back. People actually bought the bricks (like the ones they have in the entry plaza) that ended up on these "sidewalks to nowhere"

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
mesaboy2

Quote:
So you think they were planning it and the plan got hung up because of the water? Wouldn't you think they would have thought about that before they kind of announced it?
Sounds like your listening to a very old monorail spiel? If so, plans change all the time. I just figure someone changed their mind when they saw the bill or decided it wasn't a necessity.

I personally think they should do this, but it's not my money.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Here is a map that a few RunDisney enthusiasts made of their run around the lagoon- well, at least as far as one could run.

To get from the Contemporary to the Poly and GF, they had to run against traffic through the TTC parking lot, under the waterway.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Here is a map that a few RunDisney enthusiasts made of their run around the lagoon- well, at least as far as one could run.

To get from the Contemporary to the Poly and GF, they had to run against traffic through the TTC parking lot, under the waterway.
Which is highly inadvisable, OP. Going under the water bridge is not safe for pedestrians. (I know sgt knows this, but wanted to emphasize it.)
Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
chartle
DIS Veteran

I'm wondering if they really meant circling as in its fully connected and you could walk it or just we are going to circle the lagoon with these bricks.

Just a thought.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

It could be that the spiel pre-dates the Electric Water Pageant. Those EWP barges stored in the canal between MK and GF would require a high pedestrian bridge over the canal to allow them to pass through easily. That, or it would need to be a drawbridge. Either option would be extremely expensive compared to having a regular bridge or just filling in the canal. I don't know any place else they could store those EWP barges, unless they towed them onto land somewhere.

But if there was no EWP (and maybe there wasn't at the time of the spiel), filling in the canal or having a grade-level pedestrian bridge may have been a very plausible idea.

As for the tunnel between CR and TTC, I agree that it's certainly not safe for pedestrian traffic as it is. If money were no object, I suppose they could have considered widening this at some point to include a pedestrian only area. But it's hard to imagine that being done in a visually pleasing way for most guests except for ardent runners. It certainly would have been the last place anyone would have wanted their "Buy a Brick" to be located. Then, once the tunnel had been widened, there would have to have been a walkway constructed closer to the lake than most of the TTC area is, while not disrupting monorail and ferry boat traffic. This would of course be enormously expensive, in return possibly for not much guest interest.

So my bet is that the OP is listening to a VERY old spiel.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

To my knowledge it was not to actually circle but to run from the TTC/Polynesian to the contemporary. The walkway from the Poly to the GF is there and the walkway from the storage/utility lagoon to the Contemporary is there but nothing between the storage/utility lagoon to drainage lagoon and from the drainage lagoon to the GF. So there are actually three breaks in the coast line of the 7 seas lagoon. I have also heard they were considering putting a new resort between the GF and the MK so i assumed that is why the two existing walkways were not connected. You never really know what Disney is going to do. They do studies, pull permits and float rumors all of the time and never actually do the projects. I kind of wish they had finished the walkway. It is actually a very nice walk and i walk the MK and Poly legs many times over a stay.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
It could be that the spiel pre-dates the Electric Water Pageant...

So my bet is that the OP is listening to a VERY old spiel.
Nope. I remember that monorail spiel very well.

It was from the time (1990's) when they were actively pitching guests to buy the MK/TTC
"Walk around the World" bricks.

The EWP premiered in 1971.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
buzzrelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo

It was from the time (1990's) when they were actively pitching guests to buy the MK/TTC

That must be it then. They were trying to drum up interest and sell the bricks, because the spiel did mention they were available. It's too bad though...it would be awesome to be able to walk/ jog around the lagoon.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

Ahh. Well, I guess those bricks didn't end up being as valuable as those purchasers hoped, or WDW itself.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
oasispaul
Mouseketeer

So what happened to the people who bought a brick? Were they refunded?
APR 2009: Contemporary
FEB 2004: Villas at Wilderness Lodge
APR 1990: Polynesian

2001-2013: Epcot Beers Around the World (13 years and counting!)
oasispaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
Marketing Hype!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasispaul View Post
So what happened to the people who bought a brick? Were they refunded?
I did not buy one, but I got a copy of the contract and took it back to my Federal Government office. I gave it to a friend who was a Contracting Officer. After he reviewed it, he said it really did not commit Disney to do anything and the person who accepted the contract had no rights. He said it was stronger than and Federal contract he had ever seen.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: