Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #31
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97

I loved that camera - loved it. Small, nice pic/vid quality. It was $150 from costco***** in 2010. Then, we went to St John & DH went snorkeling too deep. Pressure cracked the housing. Lasted just under 2 years. Got a new one that we can take deeper - a Nikon Coolpix AW100. It was about $100 more than the Fuji, but it's waterproof to 33 ft.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I love that I can't include Costco's website....LOL

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #32
bsamps
Earning My Ears

I'm a minimalist when it comes equipment and cameras. Although I love my Nikons, I hate lugging around equipment. I have found that my iPhone takes great pictures and I've taken many "wet" shots with it using a waterproof case. I have found that the LifeProof case works great.
bsamps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #33
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamps
I'm a minimalist when it comes equipment and cameras. Although I love my Nikons, I hate lugging around equipment. I have found that my iPhone takes great pictures and I've taken many "wet" shots with it using a waterproof case. I have found that the LifeProof case works great.
My bro is on his third LifeProof case. Yes, like OtterBox, they replace the case, but I don't want to risk my phone getting wet. I'm glad it works for you!!! I love using my iPhone for pics and vids.

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #34
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I love my Canon Powershot D10 that's waterproof up to 33 feet. The newer version is a D20.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #35
Princess Denise
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all your comments! It has helped us narrow it down to a few!!
Princess Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #36
dpantry
Disney Dad enjoying my Disney family!

Olympus TG-1.
We looked at several before the cruise. But this was the toughest and deepest for the cameras we looked at. We especially loved the GPS feature which allowed us tag where we were at on the cruise. We took it WDW as well. It has several "magic" features that made taking pics fun. Took underwater pics as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #37
ctomblin
Earning My Ears

I'm looking to replace my waterproof camera before our cruise in June. My son took over my other one, lol! I also want one with a little faster speed. I would love to see some pictures taken with all the cameras recommended! Thanks!

ctomblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #38
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I love my Canon Powershot D10 that's waterproof up to 33 feet. The newer version is a D20.
I love my D10 too!!!! I've hat it down to 75ft diving, and it still took great pictures. I spoke with another diver, who has had his down over 110ft with no problems as well. He said the only thing he found was that he couldn't switch between photo and video at that depth, he had to stick to one mode.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #39
Princess Denise
Mouseketeer

Yes!! Pictures from the cameras! I loved to see the ones from deep dives!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #40
Princess Denise
Mouseketeer

At Costco I found the Panasonic lumixTS4 for only 200.00!! And the Nikon AW 100 for $230 . We are constantly hiking and doing water sports... Now.. Which one should I do?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #41
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Denise View Post

I want to purchase a water proof camera/video recorder for the cruise... Do any of you have one that you love/hate? And why? Can they be used for scuba diving?
For years, I've used an Olympus camera for snorkeling and get great results for both still photos and video. Earlier this month I used it snorkeling in Hawaii.

It's waterproof to 10 feet, which would be inadequate for scuba diving.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #42
Ancaster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Denise View Post
At Costco I found the Panasonic lumixTS4 for only 200.00!! And the Nikon AW 100 for $230 . We are constantly hiking and doing water sports... Now.. Which one should I do?
That is a great price for the TS4, was it always there and now on clearance?
Seems too low for regular price.

Do a comparison check on DPreview.

Unless you tinker with the settings, the TS4 doesn't take good indoor (lowlight) shots on auto mode. It's outdoor and underwater shots are brilliant. I actually have crisp, clear and smooth video of my daughters underwater. It also picked up the audio really well.
(I used my dslr or iPhone5 indoors on the cruise so it didn't matter).
I don't know much about the Nikon.

Whichever underwater camera, remember to rinse it out with fresh water if you use it in ocean water or a salt pool. Salt contributes to seal breakdown.
Ancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #43
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Denise
We love our Nikon AW 100!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #44
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

My every day camera is a Nikon D3100 DSLR (I'm actually a photographer). Anyway, my mom got me the Polaroid iF045 on black friday for, I think $50. It's 14mp and waterproof up to 3 meters. I actually really like it. You can even do some exposure compensation on it a little editing in camera which is pretty rare for a point and shoot. And video on it is really nice too. Only downside that I've found is the batteries. But it takes AAA's so they are pretty easy to just pop a couple more in (as opposed to my DSLR lithium battery that needs charged).

But I did also want to mention that my sister went on her honeymoon in October and she bought a disposable waterproof camera. Kinda thinking that they probably wouldn't get anything good but it was worth a shot. But the pics were actually REALLY good. So if you are on the fence or aren't sure if you want to shell out the money, it'd be a good option. I'm actually thinking about getting each of my kids one for the cruise just to see what kind of pics they get. They have cameras already and I love seeing the world through their eyes, but they don't take them out on the beach or in the water. So I thought that would be fun.

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #45
AntonioOtero
Earning My Ears

I am Nikon guy and shoot with a d7000. Unless you plan on spending a few thousand dollars on underwater housings, your best bet is an Oly tough tg-2. It comes with an additional underwater case for additional protection. The Pana lumix and Nikon aw100 are great too. I invest in a second system: the Nikon J1 with an underwater housing. Not cheap, but it has a lot of control. It won't sting as bad a losing a dslr because of a bad gasket!!!

Or just get a disposable. It's just vacation and supposed to be fun ...
AntonioOtero is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: