Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003 View Post
Nah, stay anywhere along the 192 and you can buy an unlimited 7 day pass for the bus (direct to DTD and TTC) for £10 for an adult/£5 for a child, so a total of £30 for two weeks.
I'm thinking that's probably not practical with a disabled child.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
You say that but in my experience, the public buses are more accommodating than Disney to disabled users (and a lot faster at it, too!). Not much different in catching a bus from the TTC to a Disney resort compared to an offsite resort?

I'm not saying that the man and his son have to do these things, but to shoot down every alternative suggestion isn't exactly helpful? Put the options on the table, then at least you can see what you've got.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003 View Post
You say that but in my experience, the public buses are more accommodating than Disney to disabled users (and a lot faster at it, too!). Not much different in catching a bus from the TTC to a Disney resort compared to an offsite resort?

I'm not saying that the man and his son have to do these things, but to shoot down every alternative suggestion isn't exactly helpful? Put the options on the table, then at least you can see what you've got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDaleRule View Post
Hi not been here for a while as we have no Disney plans for the next few years and it makes me sad but now i have a friend who wants to go to Orlando with his 10year old son for two weeks (no dates as yet) and has asked for our help
He says he has a budget of about £2,000.How realistic is that? Has anyone some great budget hotels/apartments/villas,and any ways of doing the best of Disney and Universal on the cheap?
Any help for him to get the best VFM would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Kath, you've got it all wrong. I am not shooting down every alternative suggestion. If you re-read the OP (quoted above), the question was asked as to whether it was possible for a man and his 10 year-old son to do the best of Universal and Disney for £2K. Most people (in fact all with the exception of one poster) have said that, realistically, it is probably not possible. While I have already said that I don't disagree/disbelieve that you have done it for less, what I am saying is that it would be very difficult. The costs you gave in your example did not include Disney and were only for 10 days. As soon as you factor in Disney tickets (presuming Ultimates) you add £500 to the cost (although MYW tickets might prove a cheaper alternative). Additionally, the advantage you have is that you have been to Orlando several times and know your way around. The OP doesn't say and, maybe I am wrong in my assumption, but I am presuming the friend is a newcomer to Orlando and Disney and so trying to stay offsite, use public transport and find the best bargains as a newbie is probably difficult, to say the least.

If it can be done then great, why not do as the OP asked and offer up some suggestions of budget places to stay/cheap transport options?
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

These are prices that can be booked now, really its all down to dates. School hols no chance, flexible possible.

2x Thomson direct seats 23rd Feb(or 2nd Mar same price) with luggage = £857
14 nights at Maingate lakeside £292 (same dates as flights)
2x 14 day Ultimates = £492
2 x Uni 14 days = £200
Food around £500 working on it costs us around £800 for 3 adults for 14 nights. Time must be spent downloading vouchers, registering with websites etc.
2 weeks car £150

Total £2491, plus things like parking at airport UK, parking at Themeparks, petrol, ESTA's, insurance.

If someone challenged me I would be able to do it having lots of experience, taking a last minute charter flight and staying in the cheapest of cheap motels but to plan and stay in a half decent motel (Lakeside maingate is the minimum standard I would want)
For a novice, probably wanting to book a little in advance I think they would struggle but it depends if the £2k is to cover absolutely everything.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The OP doesn't say and, maybe I am wrong in my assumption, but I am presuming the friend is a newcomer to Orlando and Disney and so trying to stay offsite, use public transport and find the best bargains as a newbie is probably difficult, to say the least.

If it can be done then great, why not do as the OP asked and offer up some suggestions of budget places to stay/cheap transport options?
You are correct in assuming that he has never been to Orlando before.Staying onsite with his son i think would alleviate a lot of the stress involved in being in a strange environment for the first time.
I am going to put a spreadsheet together for him this week with as many options as possible.

ChipnDaleRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Staying onsite and school holiday flight costs is going to be difficult. If they have not been before I would suggest saving more money and going 2 weeks later rather than rushing into it and going for a shorter time.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Kath, you've got it all wrong. I am not shooting down every alternative suggestion. If you re-read the OP (quoted above), the question was asked as to whether it was possible for a man and his 10 year-old son to do the best of Universal and Disney for £2K. Most people (in fact all with the exception of one poster) have said that, realistically, it is probably not possible. While I have already said that I don't disagree/disbelieve that you have done it for less, what I am saying is that it would be very difficult. The costs you gave in your example did not include Disney and were only for 10 days. As soon as you factor in Disney tickets (presuming Ultimates) you add £500 to the cost (although MYW tickets might prove a cheaper alternative). Additionally, the advantage you have is that you have been to Orlando several times and know your way around. The OP doesn't say and, maybe I am wrong in my assumption, but I am presuming the friend is a newcomer to Orlando and Disney and so trying to stay offsite, use public transport and find the best bargains as a newbie is probably difficult, to say the least.

The OP asked for the best ways of doing Orlando on the cheap and gave some brief requirements. I gave a breakdown of what 2 adults can do in the school holidays for that budget and a breakdown of exactly what was purchased and at what cost - even down to driving to the airport! I never claimed it met all of the requirements, but it gives the OP an idea that it could well be possible for an adult and child to do the holiday that they want on that budget outside of the school holidays. If the OP wants to know, I'll explain that it really isn't very difficult to work a holiday that fits into that budget.

So far, you've posted in response to all of my suggestions that they wouldn't work: staying outside of Disney wouldn't work; riding the public buses wouldn't work; spending $80/day on food wouldn't work...

Not everything works for everyone, but at least the OP saw here what CAN easily be done on the budget with a little bit of planning, rather than just vetoing every idea that doesn't match what you think they want. At the end of the day, it's an informed decision that gets you the holiday you want. If it's onsite and $200/day for food that they decide they want on their holiday, game on, but at least they knew the alternatives and their cost.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
ukool
Mouseketeer

2k for the lot?! good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Can he wait a year and make it £3k?

Then he can very comfortably do it either 2 weeks at a value, or a week at a value and a week on I-Drive.

I've tried and tried to fit it into £2k but I can't see how he'd manage without like Wayne says getting lucky with last minute flights and motel deals etc.

I know it can be done, like Kath says, but I agree with Wilma that it wouldn't make for a very enjoyable first trip, and taking at 10yo and not going to Disney wouldn't really be much of a trip (in my opinion) so he'd be better waiting till he has the £3k, then it'll be the holiday they're imagining.

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #25
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDaleRule View Post
Unfortunately VA takes him way over budget as it has to be school holiday.

My friend says that staying onsite is a must.If he was to stay for a week instead of two(which IMO is more realistic) I've priced it up as follows, Oct H/T

Flight Thomson's total£1237
Accom Port Orleans £1268 inc $100 gift card,tix and counter service DP.

Also if he booked through Quidco he would get some cash back i think!
I don't think this is a bad price if on site is a must.All he would add to this would be Sanford transfers.
If he is happy to stay a week instead of 2, or even 9 or 10 days, price up the trip on the US site. I'm planning a week later in the year and it works out much cheaper purely because I am not compelled to buy 14 day tickets (7 days is the same price) for a 7 night stay.

Even without discounts it is cheaper than Disney UK

I agree with your friend - offsite would not be an option for me with a child and no car. I've done Disney with my DD - just the 2 of us - with her at age 6,7, 8, 9 and 10. I would still not do offsite with her and she is very well travelled. It's a stress reduction that is worth paying for or making sacrifices elsewhere
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
RobynPrincess
Looking around

I think it might be able to be done if that 2k doesn't include spending money, we are going in may and plan on 2k for everything including spending money but we already have annual passes for disney and universal. We are planning on late April/early may with a charter airline booking a couple of days before we fly, last year flights actually went below £200 (though we aren't planning on that again, we have £350 each planned), the hotel will depend on how cheap we can get the flights for, the cheaper the flights the more we have for a hotel, as long as its clean I don't really care where we stay.
RobynPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #27
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynPrincess View Post
I think it might be able to be done if that 2k doesn't include spending money, we are going in may and plan on 2k for everything including spending money but we already have annual passes for disney and universal. We are planning on late April/early may with a charter airline booking a couple of days before we fly, last year flights actually went below £200 (though we aren't planning on that again, we have £350 each planned), the hotel will depend on how cheap we can get the flights for, the cheaper the flights the more we have for a hotel, as long as its clean I don't really care where we stay.
Again..nobody is saying it can't be done, but the OP said that they want to stay on-site and they don't have passes.
Realistically I don't think its do-able for £2k all in.
I agree that maybe he will need to reduce the time there, which would be a shame for a first visit not doing at least 2 weeks or wait a while longer and save a bit longer and get the holiday that he wants with no regrets.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
orangetiggs
Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

We did disney for 2082 staying at all stars, virgin flights and ultimates for two adults in 2005! I wish it was that cheap but like wayne has said close to that proceis doable if your flexible
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #29
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003

Nah, stay anywhere along the 192 and you can buy an unlimited 7 day pass for the bus (direct to DTD and TTC) for £10 for an adult/£5 for a child, so a total of £30 for two weeks. Same thing if you stay near Sea World. The passes will also get you to/from the airport.

It can easily be done - but you can't do it without compromises. We find it very easy to eat out on $40/adult per day. We ride the bus, and it pays for itself in one day in parking alone. Souvenirs - well, that's up to each individual but most people don't factor that into their holiday budget initially.
I think compromising to this extreme on a 1st trip when you have no idea about anything to do with the bus system and Disney isn't too practical. Not for a loan parent with a 10yr old that had a disability.

I know for a 1st trip I would not want to be fighting with suit case and a child after a long flight to then hop on a bus,from the airport so transfers would have to be accounted for,

I understand you have done your trips very cheaply, but you have been to Orlando on many occasions and only do universal,your happy to eat cheaply and only do certain parks.
The OP clearly stated Disney was a must which of course for a 1st timer with a child would be obvious.

I don't think it would be easy to budget for food on your food budget whilst spending long days in Disney!
If staying off site then they will have to at least eat 1 meal in the parks and what with drinks as well it will add up.

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #30
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride

I agree and if the child gets tired that's a lot of traveling back and forward for break time!

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: