Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Easto
Mouseketeer

Looking for a Photographer around Orlando

My family is going to be in Orlando March 4 - 19th and we were looking at getting some family shots done.

My wife and I and our 2 kids (9 months and 3 years)

What we are looking for are a couple individual shots of the kids and a few family shots.

We would like them to be done outdoors and more of a candid shoot rather than set poses.

Do you guys know anyone that would be able to facilitate this?

I would assume we would have to do it earlier in the trip in order for the pics to be edited, etc.

We are coming from Canada and the weather here is so unpredictable for an outdoor shoot.
Easto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

I've seen a lot of photography by this couple http://rootweddings.com I know it says weddings, but I'm pretty sure they photograph everything. They used to be just based in Celebration, but it looks like they split their time between Celebration and Nashville.

They specialize in Disney world.

If you are staying at Disney world you can arrange to have your own private session with a photo pass/Disney photographer. I'm sure someone else knows more about that.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
wbeem
DIS Veteran

I know a number of photographers here in town. Suzie Seagraves does some wonderful child photography. I'm linking to her old blog here, because I'm getting warnings that her current site may be infected. http://suzieseagravesphoto.blogspot.com

John & Susan Francis (catchlight-studios.com) handle weddings, family and corporate stuff. They also run the photography school at Harmon Photo.

If you want some other options, let me know and I'll share some other names.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Easto
Mouseketeer

To narrow it down what we would like is maybe 15-20 pictures edited on DVD

A few family shots, and a few of the kids.

We don't need it really fancy.

Around here a lot of the photographers will give you the pics on DVD and allow you to print them wherever you want.

Is that common? uncommon?
Easto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easto View Post
To narrow it down what we would like is maybe 15-20 pictures edited on DVD

A few family shots, and a few of the kids.

We don't need it really fancy.

Around here a lot of the photographers will give you the pics on DVD and allow you to print them wherever you want.

Is that common? uncommon?
Then you don't want a professional photographer. You want snapshots.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
MommaMcG
Earning My Ears

What kind of comment is that?!
MommaMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
MommaMcG
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeem

Then you don't want a professional photographer. You want snapshots.
It is very common for photographers to give you a disk or digital download these days. And yes, they will be professional pictures....not snapshots. No idea what that comment is about. I'll ask around and see if any of my photographer friends know anyone in Orlando. Do you have a price range in mind?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMcG View Post
What kind of comment is that?!
It's a comment from someone who understands that photographers run a business. Like any other business, they need to earn a profit. When you give a disk, then you give away any potential for print sales that make that profit.

Per the Professional Photographer's Association (PPA), the average earning from a photoshoot is 35% of the amount charged. Some wedding photographers get excited at the thought of those who can charge $10K for a wedding, but they ignore the fact that the photographer really only got $3500. That's despite weeks of planning, time at the shoot, time to edit and prepare the photos, time to do all of the things that the client never sees so they can deliver those beautiful images.

Clients forget that it costs photographers money to go to a location (and back). They just want a quick shoot and some edits on a DVD for $50 or $100, but they don't think about the time after the shoot, etc.

It's not even worth the gas money to show up for a quick shoot for a DVD delivery when gas prices are headed back up to $4/gallon.

That's what I meant when I said you don't want a professional photographer, but rather wanted snapshots. It's not an insult. It's just a recognition of perceived value.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
MEK
DIS Veteran

Here's a link to private photography sessions at Disneyworld.

http://www.disneyeventphotography.com/portraits/
http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.co...pid=43&cid=147

Even if you aren't going to Disney world you could arrange to have the photos taken at one of the Disney resorts. There are so many resorts to choose from and you don't have to be a guest to photograph there.

Good luck. Hope you find something that suits your needs and your budget.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeem View Post
It's a comment from someone who understands that photographers run a business. Like any other business, they need to earn a profit. When you give a disk, then you give away any potential for print sales that make that profit.

This is an antiquated idea often held by photographers who are not evolving with the demands of the market. Print sales are dwindling and more and more photographers are relying on higher session fees as well as individual file sales for their income.

Though a lot of clients do think that they'll spend $100 and get a session complete with disc. And there are less than skilled professionals who churn out discs of out of focus, poorly exposed family portraits out for that price. Most people are completely unprepared to spend the money it costs upfront for a highly skilled professional to do a completely digital session. But then again, many people are happy to spend the $100 for bad images that they don't even realize are bad.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
This is an antiquated idea often held by photographers who are not evolving with the demands of the market. Print sales are dwindling and more and more photographers are relying on higher session fees as well as individual file sales for their income.

Though a lot of clients do think that they'll spend $100 and get a session complete with disc. And there are less than skilled professionals who churn out discs of out of focus, poorly exposed family portraits out for that price. Most people are completely unprepared to spend the money it costs upfront for a highly skilled professional to do a completely digital session. But then again, many people are happy to spend the $100 for bad images that they don't even realize are bad.
Actually, it's not antiquated at all. Photographers who want to make a living not only need to embrace prints, they need to provide a unique service to differentiate themselves from the people who are racing to the bottom of the market by cutting prices and delivering snapshots on DVDs.

I just completed my work as Technical Editor on a new book about running a successful photography business. I can assure you that those who are succeeding aren't tossing out DVDs. They're providing their clients with an experience and a stunning result.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
MommaMcG
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post

I agree with all of this. And who says all photographers who pass out discs are charging $50 or $100? Not all of us are "shoot and burners." And let's face it, a lot of people don't even print pictures anymore. They want them for Facebook, blog, or photo sharing site purposes. If they want prints, they don't want many (meaning the people who gravitate towards photogs who give dvds). In order to make up for print sale losses, the digital copies have to be priced accordingly. So yes, it is an insult when you basically said photographers who give out dvds aren't professional quality. The cheap ones give us a bad name, but we are not all like that.

Also, I've found there is a divide on this between "old timers" and the up and coming photographers. They will never agree on this issue.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
photo_chick

Quote:
Actually, it's not antiquated at all. Photographers who want to make a living not only need to embrace prints, they need to provide a unique service to differentiate themselves from the people who are racing to the bottom of the market by cutting prices and delivering snapshots on DVDs.

I just completed my work as Technical Editor on a new book about running a successful photography business. I can assure you that those who are succeeding aren't tossing out DVDs. They're providing their clients with an experience and a stunning result.
Parts of what you're saying I totally agree with. But those things do not necessitate lab prints. You also keep implying that anyone who gives out DVD's is simply giving snapshots on a disc. And while I do think that is the case for many newer, lower end photographers, it's certainly not true for all photographers. Selling images on a disc doesn't mean mass production. You can sell per image. Some photographers who charge per image actually make more off the sale of that one digital file than they would off print sales for a single image.

As to what makes a successful photographer... it really depends on the market these days. I know what I can charge and sell in South Dallas is a lot different from what I can in North Dallas. And I imagine there is that kind of variation across the country.

Edited to add... I'm also going to add that one of a kind art prints, like hand coated papers or another unusual process, are not what I'm talking about when it comes to print sales. I'm talking about standard lab prints, canvasses, collages, stand ups, etc... A photographer who finds a niche making one of a kind prints on hand coated papers or another art based process can make a small fortune in an art savvy market.

Last edited by photo_chick; 02-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMcG View Post
Also, I've found there is a divide on this between "old timers" and the up and coming photographers. They will never agree on this issue.
It's funny.. the successful photographers I know who are most vocal about the death of print sales (in regards to portrait and wedding photography) and the need to evolve are ones who have been working for 30 or 40 years. I figure if they've managed to make a living for that long that they must know what they're talking about so I put a lot of stock in the wisdom they share with me. It's the ones who have been at it for maybe 10 years and think they know it all who hold fast to those prints.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:

William,

I agree with you. We were just up getting 6 mth photo's of our son at the most respected photographer where I live. They have been in business for countless years. They have changed with the times but have said that it is getting harder and harder with places popping up all over the place. He said there used to be 23 in our area now there are over 100. Most turn out cheap disks with pretty cheap sessions. It is killing them and it's sad because I have never see anyone who puts out prints the way they do. I souldn't say killing them cause they are still the biggest and most respected in our area, but he did say it does affect how things used to be. Yes they are expensive and the owner is very particular and likes many consults before shoots, but the results show, but again you pay for it. Years ago it wasthe norm for them and the others in our area now with other companies popping up over night it isn't and I feel bad for them, but I will always go back cause high quality prints and quality quality work is how I feel memories are preserved for years to come.

It's funny this all came up after me talking with them last Friday. The one photographer and his assistant was kind enough to sit with me for an hour to help me get a game plan together for making a album to show off my best shots for each year of my kids as they grow. I don't think others would have taken the time they did to share their knowledge to help me if they didn't know how much I value their work and time.

A truly classic and classy studio.
jimim is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: