Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #31
ppony
Artist in residence

This is what we're doing this time as well. Last time we did WDW before, and while it was nice to blow energy and relax after, I don't see any problem w/ relaxing and then taking in WDW w/ a more relaxed state of mind. I also HATE the morning you get off of the ship and then the rest of your day is about going to the airport and going home. blech. I want to look forward to something after the cruise.
It works both ways of course, but I'll enjoy not being bummed that last evening on the ship.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #32
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

Last month we took our first cruise, and we chose the Dream for it. We did the 4 night, then 3 nights at Universal. Next year we'll do three nights at WDW then the cruise. My main reason for flipping the order around is that, while I was fine on the ship, it took me three days (the entire time at Universal) to get my land legs back. It was an odd sensation to walk around the park in that condition, and I don't want to do it again.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #33
bbrnca
an addiction is a bad thing unless it is a Mouse thing

This year we (myself and DW) will be doing a 7night Eastern on the Fantasy and staying 2 days ahead at Old Key West and then 4 night on the back end at animal kingdom Kidani, staying 2 days before hand is always a nice down time to start the relaxation prosess of leaving the real world behind, the backside is a chance to do what we want by visiting the World and fufilling the inner child in each of us.....
SSR/VWL 12 Anniversary trip
OKW(2days)/Fantasy(7nights)/AKV(4days) 13
OKW Nov 14
VWL&Magic 15

My wife collects Minnie's and Mickey collects my money
bbrnca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #34
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

We did WDW both before and after our cruise. We stayed at WDW 4 nights before and 2 nights after and had a total of 5 days in the parks. It worked out well for us. It definitely made it a little easier leaving the ship knowing we were going to be able to go to WDW for a couple days. I would be happy vising WDW before or after a cruise.

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #35
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
We've also done it both ways. Preferred the parks after the cruise, otherwise it was just too depressing to get off the boat!
We are exactly the same way! But after the cruise and WDW we are so tired we are ready to get home!

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940
WDW twice including Nathan's MAW trip to WDW
8 cruises and counting- almost Platinum!
Disneyland- over 14 times and counting
oklamomof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #36
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

We aren't doing WDW this time, but we had a similar issue for our cruise later this year.
We were planning to go on the DVC Member Cruise in September. It is a 4 night on the Dream, Sunday to Thursday. Well, as I started looking at the DCL site, I found that we could do the 7 night on the Fantasy that leaves the Saturday before and returns on the Saturday after, and DH would only have to take one more day of vacation. The Fantasy 7 night was also more affordable, so we decided to go with that instead! (I will ALWAYS choose more days on the ship if its possible).
We have done WDW for just 1 day prior to a cruise and after a cruise. I don't really think there is a huge difference, its enjoyable either way.
WDW after definitely makes sense for the OPs family, so yay for them!

Have a fantastic cruise!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
Shelley Chiarats
Mouseketeer

We are doing the 4day on the Dream in October. We wanted to do something after but did not want to deal with the crowds of the park.

So we are planning one night at Animal Kingdom Lodge with a possibly Waynama Tour. We are normally All Star type people so staying at a Deluxe is going to be special. I am hoping that we can see some of the animals and it will be almost as good as Animal Kingdom without the rides.
Shelley Chiarats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
rdw
Mouseketeer

I posted above, and as we are headed to the airport now, I can report back with a fresh perspective ( not the OP, but a poster with the same order of plans). We cruised the Wonder Sat - Thurs, then drove from Miami to Orlando for one day at MK - and now flying home from Tampa - so we're all over the state! I would have hated getting off the ship and going straight home. I was really glad we had WDW to look forward to. Now mind you - we didn't go all commando and try to do everything. Our kids are almost 6 and just turned 3. We got to the park around 11 and left around 9:30. Could have made it longer, but my younger one hadn't napped and we were soaked from rain.

When we started the trip - we left SO EARLY. For the cruise - woke kids at 4 am - we needed the sleep and relaxation of the cruise. It felt like WDW was just an added bonus at the end. (and something we could have skipped if necessary). So, I would say for us - park after cruise was really the best way to do it - we got to relax and dr compress - then go to the park. I do have yo admit though - after cruising, the park may have lost some luster to me. Loved the cruise and can't wait till we can do it again!
rdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #39
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribega View Post
One of the many things I see on the DCL threads is that people enjoy going to WDW first then the cruise instead of WDW after the cruise. We booked our first Cruise/WDW trip for this September - 4 night aboard the dream. The WDW before or after issue got me thinking. So I analyzed it.

Cruise then WDW
Sat. - leave house about 6am and drive down to Downtown Disney. Do dinner and other things and then head to hotel by port.
Sun - cruise starts
Thur - cruise ends, drive over to WDW, check in and be to park by 11.
Friday and Saturday - parks
Sunday - a 2-3 hours in park then head home.
So in the above we do a 4 night cruise and 3 nights at WDW. We get two full days at WDW, one mostly full day and then one with a few hours. In this scenario I would only need to take 5 days off from work.

WDW then Cruise.
Thurs - leave house about 6am and drive to WDW. Check in and at parks probably about 3pm.
Friday & Saturday - parks
Sunday - park for 2-3 hours and then to port.
Sunday - Thurs - cruise.
Thurs - leave cruise and then head home.
So in the above we do a 4 night cruise and 3 nights at WDW. We get two full days at WDW, 1 half day, 1 day with a few hours. In this scenario I would need to take 6 days off from work.

Doing the Cruise then WDW seems less rushed and gives us more time plus that little extra time at DTD.

Love to hear comments and other people's experiences.
agree 1000%...we did 4 days at WDW after our 7 night cruise last year and it was the right move...doing it again this year...

1) my daughter was devastated leaving the Disney Cruise last year and cried the whole day...her mood quickly changed upon arriving at WDW which was a complete surprise...

2) going after the cruise gave us something to look forward to walking off the ship, which is always depressing...

3) we took our time at WDW and really had a great time...

I think you made the right choice!!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #40
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin

agree 1000%...we did 4 days at WDW after our 7 night cruise last year and it was the right move...doing it again this year...

1) my daughter was devastated leaving the Disney Cruise last year and cried the whole day...her mood quickly changed upon arriving at WDW which was a complete surprise...

2) going after the cruise gave us something to look forward to walking off the ship, which is always depressing...

3) we took our time at WDW and really had a great time...

I think you made the right choice!!
Nothing chases away the Debarkation Blues better! In our case before a 7 day, we left work two days earlier and hit MK and HS base days Thurs Fri and embarked (not DCL) sat, debarked sat got to EP at 10:30 and hopped from there to AK, HS, back to EP for dinner and fireworks, then hoped back to MK to close it down at midnight. So we did two long park days, relaxed on our 7 day cruise and then since it came in on a sat and we could still drive home Sunday, we decided to go for it.

On our first DCL in April, since we had already taken that week and a half off in Feb/mar, it was just a quick bonus family trip. 3 day Dream on Thurs so we came in Tues nite, got Twinkie at the airport at 12:30 am.(we both worked until about 11am that morning and then worked on the road driving down that day.) Then we did a 4 park hop blitz on the Wed before the cruise. Since the cruise came in on Sunday, we had our nice MDR breakfast as a family and then headed back for the 14 hr drive and were at work the next day.

So going to WDW before or after or both, they all work.

But debarking to the parks def makes it a lot more fun!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #41
kfamilylovesdisney
Wonder 05/2008 Wonder 05/2009

Cruise first for us!

We have tried both.

Cruising first was a better experience for us for a couple of reasons:
- packing: You need more formal wear, more of a variety of outfits and shoes, and you need to pack wisely for the cruise. For WDW we just need shorts and bathing suits. We are also DVC members so we have a washer and dryer in case we are running low on clothes towards the end of vacation. When we went to WDW first I was stressing (while on vacation at WDW) to make sure I repacked and organized everything correctly for the cruise. I prefer to pack and worry about this before vacation not on vacation.
- the disembarkation blues hit us hard, so we like looking forward to WDW
- We need the exercise! Lol! After eating all that cruise food we need to walk it off in WDW.

We had fun with both experiences, but it is unanimous for our family that we prefer to cruise first

July 6, 2013 - Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean * June 26, 2011 - Disney Dream 5 Day * May 2009 - Disney Wonder 4 Day * May 2008 - Disney Wonder 3 Day

6/2012 BCV * 6/2011 AKV-Kidani * 8/2010 BLT * 5/2009 WLV * 5/2008 BWV * 5/2007 BCV * 1/2006 OKW

Last edited by kfamilylovesdisney; 05-04-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: missed some words
kfamilylovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #42
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

As others have mentioned; if you have visited the parks plenty of times before and aren't going full on commando, I think it's wonderful to have WDW to look forward to when you get off the ship

That's what we always do

DH says that he couldn't stand getting off the ship and heading straight back to the airport
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #43
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

We prefer the opposite. We like to go to WDW first and then the cruise. We go fast and furious through the parks so we look forward to some R&R on the cruise.
jiminyC_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #44
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyC_fan
We prefer the opposite. We like to go to WDW first and then the cruise. We go fast and furious through the parks so we look forward to some R&R on the cruise.
Agreed. Also packing is no problem. We have a separate bag just for the wdw leg of the trip and don't even have to bring in the cruise luggage... This has been the case for our two DRIVING trips.

We also didn't have formal wear this time for the 3 day (did for the 7 day but just left in the car until cruise day.)

The Disney freak inside me tells me the ideal is one or two days to get your Dis vacation started and then at least one if you can to keep it going after debarkation
Hit Orlando coming, hit Orlando going. I loved that for the first trip!

But I'll never forget sitting under the castle for Wishes with my mom n dad after we just all had surprised them at the contemporary Wave for dinner. (They had no idea we had booked the cruise to go with them until that night before at Disney!) Mom had watched all the families at MK all day and was sad seeing all the lil princesses. Then they go to dinner, and their 3 grown up princesses from 3 different states were all there! And then they monorailed back to MK with their Twinkies to watch Wishes and Monsters and Elect Parade together as a family. The next day, we all embarked together on our very first fam DCL for any of us! Disney is a really strong tradition in our family. It just didnt seem right not to be with them when they took thier first Dis anniversary cruise! (I know, what a sacrifice.)

My point is that starting the cruise together at WDW, I just can't imagine it any other way!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #45
MomTo3PrincessesInNJ
Mouseketeer

This will be our first cruise, but we chose the parks first because we have to go a specific week (kids school schedule dictates our vacation) and the cruise we wanted, a 3 night, sails from Thurs-Sun, which ended up being perfect since I would MUCH rather run around the parks during the week than a weekend. So, it's 4 nights in WDW then a 3 night cruise for us!
January 2013, Pop!
December 2013, POR-Alligator Bayou
March 2014, Pop! {Solo}
November 2014 {Jersey Week}, CSR- Business Class w/Free Dining
November 2015 {Jersey Week}, WL

MomTo3PrincessesInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: