Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
wannabebelle
Mouseketeer

Pirate sword - conflicting information

Hi all,
We are sailing the week after Thanksgiving. I had planned on taking a plastic sword for my 8-year-old for pirate night. However, I just read about Halloween trees for DCL (which obviously won't be out for my cruise) on wdwinfo. On their link
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis...m%29#halloween

it states no plastic swords are allowed. Is that just a Halloween thing? Because on Disney Parks Moms Panel, it says they are
http://disneyparksmomspanel.disney.g...165&qid=247860
wannabebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to turn the question around and ask you something first...
What do you expect your son will do with the sword? Will he simply wear it tucked into his belt? Or will it be a toy that he wishes to wave around and pretend play?

You know your child and his behavior. If it's simply a costume prop, I don't believe anyone will stop you from bringing it. If your child would want to play with it, the Pirate Party gets quite crowded up on deck and it could be a problem for him -- in which case I suggest leaving the sword at home.

Enjoy your cruise!

ETA: In the past I have seen people with swords, maybe they are enforcing a rule now. I have not been on a Halloween cruise, so maybe it's more of a problem with Halloween than regular cruises.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on how realistic the item seems. If you go directly to DCL's Prohibited Items, you will see that it specifically states "Realistic replicas of firearms and weapons".

I think as long as the toy sword you are bringing can easily be deemed fake from a good distance away, that it will be okay. I figure if they would specifically state something like no weapons, fake or real, if they would not allow the toy kind.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
wannabebelle
Mouseketeer

He is 8, so it will definitely just be a costume prop. And we got it at the dollar store - it won't be passing for authentic
wannabebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
tweis
DIS Veteran

I don't know about bringing one on board but I know that you can purchase them from the shops on board the ship. We have gotten them for our boys on 2 of our cruises and they have carried them to the pirate party and indeed did wave them all about as did most of the other children on board.

I read both links and it sounds like the first one is referring specifically to the halloween on the high seas party.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabebelle View Post
He is 8, so it will definitely just be a costume prop.
Right -- my point was when my child was 8 yrs old that "costume prop" would be played with. If your child will leave it alone as part of the costume, it may not be a problem. But most 8 yr old boys I know would have a very hard time ignoring that sword in their belt. If you bring it onboard, and he waves it around, expect to have it removed from his possession or be asked to leave the party. Obviously, you know your child best.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
cedricandsophie
Mouseketeer

Just off the magic in Greece. Lots of swords out on pirate night and they were sold in the store. I hate them. Constantly dodging to avoid getting hit
cedricandsophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
rrr757
Earning My Ears

We saw the swords on the cruise ship store for sale along with pirate outfits/hats. We had a sword packed in our luggage from our Princess Lunch from Magic Kingdom but forgot to take it out for the show. No biggie kids will have fun either way. We did not see many kids with swords, I agree probably a good thing, no one got hurt
rrr757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
MnMzMoMi4LiFe
Mouseketeer

Party City has inflatable pirate swords. http://m.partycity.com/products/infl...ate+sword+29in
I think that would be a better choice - easier to pack and does not pose any injury threat.

“If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it - then I can achieve it.” ― Muhammad Ali
MnMzMoMi4LiFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

They sell plastic swords and guns on the pool deck on pirate night. DCL probably doesn't want you to bring your own because they would prefer you to spend money buying them on the ship. We walked right on with one we had bought on a previous cruise. In fact our boarding picture shows my dh holding the sword up against my son's neck. The photographers thought it was funny. No one said anything about it.
Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
joycsk
Red's my girl

Crusing Fantasy in 2 weeks

and my kids are signed up at BBB for the Pirate Night transformation package which INCLUDES a cutlass! So, there is no problem with his bringing a plastic sword.
(I've also brought light up "glow" swords in the past, and they were fun.)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I would go with what DCL specifies which is no realistic looking fake weapons. Worst case scenario, it is confinscated and you are out $1. Whether or not you bring your child one many kids will have them as they are part of the pirate night BBB package & they sell light up swords on deck during the party.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
I don't know about bringing one on board but I know that you can purchase them from the shops on board the ship.
Exactly.

The dis is helpful, but sometimes the info side of the dis (wdwinfo.com!) gets it wrong.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #14
SlickWilly
Earning My Ears

We were on the Dream in June and I read all the same conflicting info. I decided to take my DS5&8 plastic swords and we had absolutely no problem. No CMs said a word, they weren't confiscated, and a few stern words from dad every now and again kept them from waving around.

I recommend taking the Dollar Store ones and have fun! Worst thing is you lose a $1 toy.
SlickWilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: