Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
jakoky
DIS Veteran

enthuiastic compact or micro 4/3

Hi there, i currently have a canon sx 260 (have owned many cameras in the past, mainly bridge cameras like sony hx100V and panasonic fz47). i am really wanting another camera that is better in low light and has faster autofocus and am really torn on what i should upgrade to.

I am someone who very rarely shoots in auto. I am torn between the olympus xz 2 and the olympus epl 5. (thought about the canon t4i, the canon g15, and a few others). I would love a camera i can grow with, but i have one fear of inter changable lens cameras, and that is getting dust on the sensor. I have no idea if this is something i should be concerned with, or it is something i dont need to worry about.

I am not sure if anyone has any knowledge on these two, or opinions on going 4/3 or enthuisatic compact, or if you have any other ideas for me! I appreciate any and all comments.

I mainly take pics of my family (kids and dogs) but my kids are older now, so possiblly grandchildren in the next 4 or 5 years. I woud like something better in low light, fast to focus, some sports. I do like the option of a touchscreen that i can use or not sure. Again, thanks for anything you can tell me.

sharon
DEC 04-WDW-9 nights at the POP ...first disney experience for dh and all my kids...i had been to DL 8 or 9 times by the time i was 13 and finally after a long wait,at 35, i got my next disney experience...it was sooooo worth it
MAY 06-DL-10 nights at the CCI
SEPT 07-DL-10 nights at the HOJO
MAY 09-DL-10 nights at the HOJO
MAY 12-DL-10 nights at the HOJO

Next trip to DL....FEB 2015!!!
jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
jewood1234
Earning My Ears

Was in your shoes and went with the Olympus E-pm1. Really happy with it for low light and more control of the shooting experience. Obviously the lenses you choose will affect things greatly, but a kit lens and maybe one of the nice primes would make a great start!

Let us know what you decide!
jewood1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakoky View Post
Hi there, i currently have a canon sx 260 (have owned many cameras in the past, mainly bridge cameras like sony hx100V and panasonic fz47). i am really wanting another camera that is better in low light and has faster autofocus and am really torn on what i should upgrade to.

I am someone who very rarely shoots in auto. I am torn between the olympus xz 2 and the olympus epl 5. (thought about the canon t4i, the canon g15, and a few others). I would love a camera i can grow with, but i have one fear of inter changable lens cameras, and that is getting dust on the sensor. I have no idea if this is something i should be concerned with, or it is something i dont need to worry about.

I am not sure if anyone has any knowledge on these two, or opinions on going 4/3 or enthuisatic compact, or if you have any other ideas for me! I appreciate any and all comments.

I mainly take pics of my family (kids and dogs) but my kids are older now, so possiblly grandchildren in the next 4 or 5 years. I woud like something better in low light, fast to focus, some sports. I do like the option of a touchscreen that i can use or not sure. Again, thanks for anything you can tell me.

sharon
Dust on the sensor... you know, some people are plagued by it. And some never have any problems. I'm fortunate to have never had any issues. Never even had to clean the sensor on any of my DSLR's. I'm not especially careful, I'm actually pretty hard on my gear, but I do keep my lenses clean as well as the outside of the camera body.

As far as which camera... it sounds like you have some idea of what you might want. Have you been over to dpreview.com yet? They have some pretty good and fairly unbiased reviews as well as pretty helpful buying guides that give you a real idea of each model's strengths and weaknesses. They also have some good comparison tools.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Olympus 4:3 and m4:3 cameras incorporate an automatic dust reduction sytem that really works.

http://www.olympus.com.au/Learn---Ex...reduction.aspx

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2010/6/...inventionaward

http://digitalphotographyvideos.com/...irds-e-3-dslr/

It's one of the reasons I liked them. I take reasonable precautions changing lenses with my Oly dSLR and PEN cameras, but still am out there on dusty ball fields and beaches regularly and have never had a problem.

These are popular with travel photographers for this reason (as well as size). So it's not really anything you need to worry about!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
havoc315
DIS Veteran

I won't say dust is never an issue, but it's not an issue that should keep you away from an interchangeable lens system. Millions of amateurs have interchangeable lens cameras and never notice dust issues.
And truthfully -- many people wouldn't even notice if their sensor did get a speck of dust.

I have an advanced compact and a dSLR. I love both.

But if you really want the ability to " grow" beyond the initial purchase, I'd strongly recommend you go with your interchangeable lens options.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

With interchangeable lenses we can get a much wider range of focal lengths and apertures than we can with a fixed lens. With micro 4/3 the lenses range from 7mm to 300mm (14-600 equivalent), including fisheye and macro. Maximum apertures of f/0.95 are available and with good sharpness wide open. To me this availability of lenses is important for capturing the scene in the way in which I want to interpret it.

Dust can get on the sensor but it is not that difficult to remove, especially without a mirror. Olympus E-PL5 has the latest sensor and it is the best in micro 4/3, same as their OM-D/E-M5. A sensor of this size and quality is going to be much better in low light than a compact camera (although some of the 1" sensor cameras are not far behind). Contrast Detect Auto Focus has come a long way and in micro 4/3 is now about as fast as Phase Detect (used on most dSLRs). Contrast Detect is generally more accurate and gives better results at wide apertures than Phase Detect.

With a range of 14-600 (equivalent) available it is even more impressive that this range does not cost a fortune nor weigh a (figurative) ton. For a typical dSLR (APS-C or FF) neither of these claims can be made. I often carry 3 lenses ranging from 7 to 175 in a small bag (Crumpler $4M home). However, even though some micro 4/3 lenses may cost less than their dSLR equivalents the good ones are not inexpensive, Panasonic's 12-35 f/2.8 (a great walkaround lens) is about $1000 and their 35-100 f/2.8 is about $1300.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
jakoky
DIS Veteran

Well, i made my decision...Thanks for everything you were all able to tell me, i so appreciate it. I just ordered the olympus epl 5 and think i got a great deal. For the camera and kit lens, i got it for 524 canadian and then tax. Of course right now after hitting "buy", i am freaking out lol. I am sure i am going to love this camera and learning everything it can do. Thanks again!
DEC 04-WDW-9 nights at the POP ...first disney experience for dh and all my kids...i had been to DL 8 or 9 times by the time i was 13 and finally after a long wait,at 35, i got my next disney experience...it was sooooo worth it
MAY 06-DL-10 nights at the CCI
SEPT 07-DL-10 nights at the HOJO
MAY 09-DL-10 nights at the HOJO
MAY 12-DL-10 nights at the HOJO

Next trip to DL....FEB 2015!!!
jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
jewood1234
Earning My Ears

Great choice! Now beware.....once that nervous, "what did I just do"? feeling goes away you'll get a new bug: Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS)!

You'll be looking for new add-ons, lenses etc!

Cheers
jewood1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewood1234 View Post
Great choice! Now beware.....once that nervous, "what did I just do"? feeling goes away you'll get a new bug: Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS)!

You'll be looking for new add-ons, lenses etc!

Cheers
micro4/3AS? Just doesn't have a good ring to it.
Olympus 45 f/1.8 is a great portrait lens, you know you need it!

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

FYI Olympus has some lenses, cameras and accessories on sale for Valentine's Day.

http://www.getolympus.com/featured_w...content=pre_hd

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

I would go with the EPL-5. Do not worry about the dust. You can get it cleaned if needed. P&S are much more dificult to clean. But the EPL-5 is a nice camera.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #12
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Great choice! I have the E-M5 and love it. First thing to do when you get the camera is to enable the Super Control Panel (SCP). For some reason, Oly doesn't enable it by default. From the SCP you can change most of the settings you need to without delving into the menus.

And I agree with boBQuincy - the 45 f/1.8 is a fantastic lens!

Pugrpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugrpooh View Post
Great choice! I have the E-M5 and love it. First thing to do when you get the camera is to enable the Super Control Panel (SCP). For some reason, Oly doesn't enable it by default. From the SCP you can change most of the settings you need to without delving into the menus.
That is a really nice feature!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugrpooh View Post

And I agree with boBQuincy - the 45 f/1.8 is a fantastic lens!

The SCP is such a useful feature that I don't know why it isn't a default setting!!

I second the 45 f/1.8 as a must have lens!!

My SmugMug

Objects in this post are closer than they appear
JoeDif is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: