Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We purchase Medical insurance when we cruise or travel out of the country. We just look at passports as another form of insurance. But hey to each his/her own .
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #32
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaulty View Post
I'll be getting a passport for my now 2 month old for our cruise in October when she'll be 11 months. Ridiculous since it is only good for 5 years (not to mention the picture will be so current...NOT)? Yes. But, I'd rather travel with a passport. Also, I feel passports travel a bit better than certified birth certificates...I always worry about the seal not being raised enough after the folding, unfolding, refolding, stored in pocket...I feel it is more of a hassle getting a new one of those than a passport.
My kids have had passports since they were 5. The first ones they never used. The second ones we used 2-3 times. When those expired, one was just about to turn 16 and the other was 15. I went ahead and got them because they needed them for their driver's license applications. We were thinking about waiting until the 15 year old was 16 so it would be good for 10 years, but I'm glad we just went ahead with it. Since then the 16 year old has been on 2 cruises and is now going to France. The 15 year old turned 16 but we went on a cruise 9 days after her birthday so we wouldn't have had time to get it.

Who knows when a good deal on a trip to Canada or Alaska is going to come up? Your 2 year old will be good to go!

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #33
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, CC is Disney-owned, but it's foreign soil.

And, when cruising, as soon as you step aboard the ship, you are out of the country, and many medical insurances don't cover out of the country.

I'm pretty sure CC is leased from the Bahamians on like a 99 year lease. Doesn't change your point.

I checked and my health insurance does cover us if we are out of the country.....but I work for a major corporation and we have employees all over the world.

To the OP, I would not worry about passports on that cruise. I would not go to Mexico or other Carribean ports of call w/o a passport though.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #34
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura24 View Post
My exact suggestion. I could hear the panic in the mother's post. The what ifs are always a possibility.
Agreed! You just never know what could happen. Yes, passports are expensive for a daily expense, but when you consider how much money you are spending on a cruise, and the fact that it is good for 5 or 10 years, the price becomes nominal. A ten year passport will cost you $12 a year - that's a dollar a month, or $2 a month over the five years for a child. For me, the peace of mind is worth it. I even use my passport for domestic travel....it's just a universally undisputed form of ID that I feel is necessary for my family.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #35
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Agreed! You just never know what could happen. Yes, passports are expensive for a daily expense, but when you consider how much money you are spending on a cruise, and the fact that it is good for 5 or 10 years, the price becomes nominal. A ten year passport will cost you $12 a year - that's a dollar a month, or $2 a month over the five years for a child. For me, the peace of mind is worth it. I even use my passport for domestic travel....it's just a universally undisputed form of ID that I feel is necessary for my family.
IF you will be cruising again with your children, even once or twice in the next 5 years OR if you will be flying annually (as we did with my children through 2011) it's nice to have. It's a simple travel document.

IF however, it will be extremely unlikely you'll use it again in the next few years, like us. (New baby due late 2013, no time or $$ for travel out of Ohio for another few years at least), then even $2 a month ($4 a month for 2 boys) over a 5 year period is too much.

I'll skip the head exam though. It would cost me a FORTUNE on my HDHP.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #36
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
Not exactly correct...the US Coast Guard can air lift off of Castaway Cay.
This may be true, but whether the USCG comes or not is not going to be based on whether the person needing emergency treatment has a US passport, or is where they'd be taken.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #37
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crundell View Post
Oh my gosh, now that makes me feel soooo much better. I really don't want to go through the hassles of passports for what seems like one port.

Don't feel to good yet...............yes the USCG does oftern air lift, if the Bahamian GC is not available. However the USCG goes where the Bahamian goverment says they can take you..........that maybe Nassau OR Freeport.

There is also the rare possiblity of needing to be airlifted off the vessel at sea.

There was just a post from a lady *nightmare in Nassau* whose child almost needed emergency surgery in Nassau and they had no insurance or passports.........luckily the child was ok but in the middle of all the horrors of being in the hospital, they were making trips back and forth to the US Ambassy to try and stragith out the problems of getting to the States.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 02-05-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #38
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Did anyone else hear the talk about this on NPR last week? It was very interesting. I have been trying to find the link to post on here. It was talking about the various ways Americans travel without passports and what happens when they do become stranded. It mentioned how the cruise industry is the largest vocal opponent to passport regulation at sea. That the US government would like to make everyone have a passport to sail because that is the safest thing for the citizen but the cruise industry is adamantly against it because it would cut into their sales. Especially last minute, spur of the moment sales right before cruise dates. It also talked about how it can take up to 3 weeks to get an emergency passport to reenter the country. I wish I could find it. It was a good show. Anyone else out there hear it?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #39
calismic
Mouseketeer

In regards to emergency passports, this is what I was told by the very kind gentleman with the US State Department. Should you run into an emergency in the Bahamas, an emergency passport will be issued at the US Embassy. It takes approximately 24 hours for approval. This passport is valid for one year and can be converted to a standard passport at no additional charge. The cost of an emergency passport is exactly the same as a standard passport. The US Embassy is within 5 minutes of the cruise ports.

Another great tip I found out, passports are processed based on the date of travel. Even if your travel is within 4 weeks, don't spend the money on expedited processing. It will likely be returned within 14 days. We applied for my daughters passport on January 19th. We received it in the mail on January 28th.
calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #40
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic View Post
In regards to emergency passports, this is what I was told by the very kind gentleman with the US State Department. Should you run into an emergency in the Bahamas, an emergency passport will be issued at the US Embassy. It takes approximately 24 hours for approval. This passport is valid for one year and can be converted to a standard passport at no additional charge. The cost of an emergency passport is exactly the same as a standard passport. The US Embassy is within 5 minutes of the cruise ports.

Another great tip I found out, passports are processed based on the date of travel. Even if your travel is within 4 weeks, don't spend the money on expedited processing. It will likely be returned within 14 days. We applied for my daughters passport on January 19th. We received it in the mail on January 28th.
Which is just fine if your emergency happens between 9 and 5 on a weekday that also isn't a holiday (US or the country you're in - often the embassy/consulates take both holidays since many of the workers are foreign nationals).

Passports are processed in the order received, unless expedited.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #41
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Which is just fine if your emergency happens between 9 and 5 on a weekday that also isn't a holiday (US or the country you're in - often the embassy/consulates take both holidays since many of the workers are foreign nationals).

Passports are processed in the order received, unless expedited.

Nancy
Not to mention if there is a problem of some kind and US Embassy needs to check on something..in the meantime your sitting there running up a hotel and food bill, maybe have someone in a hosipital or at home sick.etc.etc.etc.......

The bottom line is get the Passport.......it saves a lot of travel problems when needed!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #42
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

You are only planning on one foreign port, but what if there is a serious medical emergency at sea? What if your closest port is foreign and not on your itinerary? On my recent Fantasy cruise, we ended up going to Cozumel in the middle of the night for a serious medical emergency, since it was the closest port at the time. This changed up our itinerary for a few days of our trip. Things do not always go as planned.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #43
jendeli
Earning My Ears

Get one!
jendeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #44
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

I think passports really should just be factored into the price of taking a cruising.
NurseDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #45
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDave View Post
I think passports really should just be factored into the price of taking a cruising.
Good point.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Dream, May 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: