Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #16
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crundell View Post
Oh my gosh, now that makes me feel soooo much better. I really don't want to go through the hassles of passports for what seems like one port.
And the best part is the Coast Guard does not charge US residents
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #17
crundell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
And the best part is the Coast Guard does not charge US residents
Really? That seems odd to me, but then again I live in the desert so dealing with the coast guard is not something that I have ever had to do But I know that when the national guard is called in they don't charge you, so I guess that makes sense. Who knew.
crundell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Really? That seems odd to me, but then again I live in the desert so dealing with the coast guard is not something that I have ever had to do But I know that when the national guard is called in they don't charge you, so I guess that makes sense. Who knew.
The Coast Guard is expressly prohibited by statute (Title 46 US Code, sec. 2110) from charging a fee for any search and rescue service.

Taken off of a google search.
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #19
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan

Not exactly correct...the US Coast Guard can air lift off of Castaway Cay.
Cool! I have no idea really.. I just had the se question and was told by a prior cruiser that while cruising to CC, they discussed airlifting her sick son to the ER in Nassau.

So I dunno really. Here's hoping I don't ever have to find out.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #20
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I always read that if you get stuck, you can't fly back to your country without a passport. So I have to ask, how do people get home? Or do they become permanent Bahamians? Lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I always read that if you get stuck, you can't fly back to your country without a passport. So I have to ask, how do people get home? Or do they become permanent Bahamians? Lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
You have to get clearance from the US and an emergency temporary passport thing (not sure if it is called a passport in that situation?). It takes time though. It isn't like you are going to get back the day of the emergency for surgery or something. But yes, you do get back eventually. IMO, the point is, in an emergency situation would you really want the stress of then having to try to get back into the US on top of everything else? Esp if it is your child who is sick or hurt?

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #22
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
Not exactly correct...the US Coast Guard can air lift off of Castaway Cay.
It might be the US coast guard or it could be the Bahamian one. And they are going to take you to the closest emergency facility, which might not be in Florida. They also aren't going to take your entire family, just the necessary one(s) which might be just the patient. I think they try to take an adult too, but if they can't, they can't.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
It might be the US coast guard or it could be the Bahamian one. And they are going to take you to the closest emergency facility, which might not be in Florida. They also aren't going to take your entire family, just the necessary one(s) which might be just the patient. I think they try to take an adult too, but if they can't, they can't.

Nancy
I was wondering about that being that it is international waters. I wonder how they decide that? I think there was someone on here talking about how they do only take the one person. I am sure if it is a child they would take one parent too but how awful would that be if it was your husband and you had to then somehow get home after he had left. I keep thinking about that woman who posted on here about her BIL and sister. He had a heart attack on the boat. I just don't know how someone would handle that. I would probably be a basket case! I would be so worried and then trying to figure out how to fly back with all the kids to see him. The passport issue would put me over for sure Glad we have them.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi all! I am new to the forums; however, have been reading a lurking like crazy. I am very tempted to schedule me and my 3 children on the 8 day Bahama's cruise in March; however, we don't have passports. My understand from what I have read is that US citizens can cruise on ships which begin and end in US ports. The cruise I am looking at is Galveston, CC, WDW, Key West, and then back to Galveston. With the exception of CC these are all US ports - will we be ok with just certified birth certificates or did my plans just come to a screeching halt as none of us have passports?
Read this post, "Nightmare in Naussau". http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3058632

Passport are cheap when you think about it, they are good for 10 years.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGA View Post
Read this post, "Nightmare in Naussau". http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3058632

Passports for kids are only good for five years. Also, they cannot be renewed, but have to be applied for all over again.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

If I left this country - even "just" on a cruise ship - without DS & I having passports, I should take that money I saved on the passports and have some sort of brain scan done, because it's nuts. If there was any kind of emergency, something that would be considered pretty "minor" on dry land and in our own hometown, I would so NOT want to have the added stress of trying to get some sort of emergency passport or clearance or whatever.

A passport is pretty cheap peace of mind -- and I am not only decidedly not-rich but also a cheap-a$$. But there are some things you just factor in the cost for, and a passport is one of them. Not just for traveling, but as the one irrefutable form of i.d. you have in your possession.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #27
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

There really is no need to reduce this thread to that line of discussion.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

My family is taking the same cruise as the OP and we are not getting passports. We wouldn't be using them for anything else in the next five years so it's not worth the money to us. I'm not sure what it is about other peoples passport decisions that gets people so worked up. I promise not to come crying to any of the die-hard passport people if my family gets stranded by a medical emergency.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #29
jaulty
Mouseketeer

I'll be getting a passport for my now 2 month old for our cruise in October when she'll be 11 months. Ridiculous since it is only good for 5 years (not to mention the picture will be so current...NOT)? Yes. But, I'd rather travel with a passport. Also, I feel passports travel a bit better than certified birth certificates...I always worry about the seal not being raised enough after the folding, unfolding, refolding, stored in pocket...I feel it is more of a hassle getting a new one of those than a passport.
jaulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #30
Laura24
Wants to live in Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Living Color"!
I want to push the *Mickey Whistle* button while doing my *Going to SEA Mickey Dance*

Location: Past: Island Park (LI). Present: Northwest Jersey Future: TBD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGA View Post

My exact suggestion. I could hear the panic in the mother's post. The what ifs are always a possibility.
... CASTAWAY CLUB PLATINUM
Laura24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: