Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
limegreenmonorail
Earning My Ears

How noticable is the alcohol...?

I'm taking a friend of mine to WDW in a couple of months (her first time to Disney), and I'm kind of re-thinking my dining reservations...she's doesn't drink, and she's against alcohol in general (for religious reasons). She's not bothered by others quietly drinking around her (for instance, we'll go to eat a Chili's or something, and just try to avoid sitting by the bar). She IS bothered when the drinking gets out of hand and folks become unruly around her (can't say I like that either, although I have no problem with responsible drinking).

So, I was planning on trying a couple of restaurants new to me this time around - Rose and Crown for dinner (hopefully with a good view of Illuminations!), and Biergarten for lunch. This will be her first time seeing Illuminations, and I thought Rose and Crown would be the perfect view and we like the menu. If we're on the patio, or even if we get seated inside, what are the chances we'll encounter drunken rowdiness? Will that sort of thing be mainly contained to the bar, if it's happening at all? While I haven't eaten at Rose and Crown, I have run across quite a few rather intoxicated folks in the area, just coming out of the pub.

Also, Biergarten...how's that, drunkenness-wise? I haven't spent too much time in Germany, so I'm really not sure what to except there. But the name implies there might be a lot of drinking going on. I'd think there would be less concern at an early lunch?

I see people bring kids to both of these restaurants all the time, so I'm guessing the atmosphere never really gets too rowdy. But, I've also encountered "drink around the world" groups that were obnoxiously drunk in various places of World Showcase...I know there's no way to guarantee we won't run into that kind of thing, but I'd like to limit the possibility as much as I can while we're dining, at least. I want to make sure my friend's comfortable with what's going on around her and reschedule my dining if need be. Don't want to give her a bad impression of Disney the first time out.

WDWCP Spring 2003
WDW Professional Internship 2007
20+ trips to Disney and counting!
limegreenmonorail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegreenmonorail View Post
I'm taking a friend of mine to WDW in a couple of months (her first time to Disney), and I'm kind of re-thinking my dining reservations...she's doesn't drink, and she's against alcohol in general (for religious reasons). She's not bothered by others quietly drinking around her (for instance, we'll go to eat a Chili's or something, and just try to avoid sitting by the bar). She IS bothered when the drinking gets out of hand and folks become unruly around her (can't say I like that either, although I have no problem with responsible drinking).

So, I was planning on trying a couple of restaurants new to me this time around - Rose and Crown for dinner (hopefully with a good view of Illuminations!), and Biergarten for lunch. This will be her first time seeing Illuminations, and I thought Rose and Crown would be the perfect view and we like the menu. If we're on the patio, or even if we get seated inside, what are the chances we'll encounter drunken rowdiness? Will that sort of thing be mainly contained to the bar, if it's happening at all? While I haven't eaten at Rose and Crown, I have run across quite a few rather intoxicated folks in the area, just coming out of the pub.

Also, Biergarten...how's that, drunkenness-wise? I haven't spent too much time in Germany, so I'm really not sure what to except there. But the name implies there might be a lot of drinking going on. I'd think there would be less concern at an early lunch?

I see people bring kids to both of these restaurants all the time, so I'm guessing the atmosphere never really gets too rowdy. But, I've also encountered "drink around the world" groups that were obnoxiously drunk in various places of World Showcase...I know there's no way to guarantee we won't run into that kind of thing, but I'd like to limit the possibility as much as I can while we're dining, at least. I want to make sure my friend's comfortable with what's going on around her and reschedule my dining if need be. Don't want to give her a bad impression of Disney the first time out.
There really is no need to know. I have only once seen what I would consider bad behavior at a restaurant but there is no way to predict that you won't be seated next to the one group that had too much no matter what place you go to (well unless its in MK and not BOG)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

The only time I've ever encountered folks who have had too much to drink is at the Food & Wine Festival. Certainly at lunch time there won't be any issues.

Some people do try to "drink around the World" but I've never seen anyone behaving badly or being sick, again with the exception of the F&W Festival.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

I have seen reports here of unruly behavior during Epcots Food and Wine festival, especially on the weekends.

Saw a few examples of college aged kids being overly friendly to strangers and CM's, and "bragging" about how much they had drank, but it wasn't too bad. We did avoid Epcot on the weekends though.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
smitch425
DIS Veteran

If someone is being out of control, they will be removed from the park. We have been to food and wine several times and have never seen anything terrible. I have never had so much as a drink of beer, but what others do is none of my business. I would never be hesitant to take a friend to Disney World because of alcohol. There is only one place you can get alcohol in MK, and they have a limit as to how many you can get.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Except at Food and Wine Festival and a few other holidays, I have never found drunkeness to be a big problem.

That said, you have chosen two of the dining locations where alcohol is most central to the entire theme and experience. Rose & Crown is a British pub, so drinking is part of the theme, and Biergarten is a biergarten and the beer is a major focus. I would not have a problem with that, but if the presence of alcohol is a concern then I would think those two options would be near the bottom of my list.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
honeybunches
That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
The only time I've ever encountered folks who have had too much to drink is at the Food & Wine Festival. Certainly at lunch time there won't be any issues.
This. We are avoiding Epcot late at night for this reason. Twice last year we had drunk people on our bus trying to start fights with other riders. That was the only time I ever noticed it though.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I agree with Jestocost. You have chosen 2 restaurants where drinking is part of the theme. It gets loud and a bit "jovial" in the Pub section of the Rose & Crown, especially as it gets later in the night. Although I believe the restaurant is a quieter atmosphere and would be fine, you have to work your way through the pub section for the Ladies Room.
And lots of folks drink lots of beer at the Biergarden. Some get tipsy.
You have to decide whether this is a problem for your friend.
Have Fun
Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

With this being Disney a large number of people that do drink, tend to be aware that there are tons of families around and don't overindulge. Rose & Crown can get Lively do to the Hat Lady at the Piano. I've rarely seen anyone at the Biergarten over do it with a meal there. IMO you have nothing to worry about.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:

i really don't think there should be that big of a problem... like others have said, if someone was truly drunk & unruly there would be a good chance of them being removed from the park. but you can't guarantee that you won't be seated next to people who are drinking, & at biergarten you will likely be seated at a table w/ other people, who may be drinking (it is a family place, but it's also called BIERgarten). and rose & crown is a pub, so... you might want to rethink these 2 restaurants if it will really be a problem for her.
rustyanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Is she against alcohol to the point where she will be disapproving if you are seated with another party at Biergarten and the other party orders beer?

That happened to a group I was with once...they seated an older couple with us and they gave us the evil eye as soon as we ordered beer, then called the server and asked to be moved. Dont know what they did if they were put at another table with beer drinkers. They also serve the beer in these HUGE glass steins if people order enough beer.

It's all going to depend on what she thinks is "unruly." Talking loudly, laughing and toasting? She would be better off not going to either place. Staggering, fighting and vomiting? Haven't seen that. The latter may get you removed from the park if you come to the attention of security... the former will not.

Quote:
you have to work your way through the pub section for the Ladies Room.
Or, you can leave the restaurant and walk across the "street" to the public restroom in the UK pavilion. However, when you walk across you will be passing in front of the beer stand, where everyone will be purchasing beer and some will be drinking it in the garden.

Last edited by MakiraMarlena; 07-15-2013 at 12:53 PM.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
johnnyblz20
Mouseketeer

It's not that bad at all. Tell your friend to man (woman) up. Others around them shouldn't bother them that much lol
2011 - Swan
2012 - Beach Club, Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 - Wilderness Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Inn, 7 night WC FANTASY CRUISE
2014 - Caribbean Beach
johnnyblz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Overexcited
DIS Veteran

Agree you should be fine. Our only issue was also with food and wine festival, even that was no terrible. It was mostly annoyance because of where we were, not looking for drunks to be stumbling by.
2010 POP plus multiple childhood trips

2013 CBR
2015 ???? Where to stay next?
Overexcited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Except at Food and Wine Festival and a few other holidays, I have never found drunkeness to be a big problem.

That said, you have chosen two of the dining locations where alcohol is most central to the entire theme and experience. Rose & Crown is a British pub, so drinking is part of the theme, and Biergarten is a biergarten and the beer is a major focus. I would not have a problem with that, but if the presence of alcohol is a concern then I would think those two options would be near the bottom of my list.
I agree. I would stay away from these two places. In my opinion its the worst place to book if you have a real concern about alcohol.

Honestly thou, you can encounter this type of behaviour at any restaurant that serves alcohol.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post
It's all going to depend on what she thinks is "unruly."

Have to agree to this. At the two places you mentioned, there will be beer drinking, at least. And the Biergarten will be loud, even at lunch. But unruly? In my opinion, neither one is. In your friend's opinion? Who knows?
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: