Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #61
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Watched with my girls (who are huge Beyonce fans), and we were all disappointed. The stage was great, but she didn't actually sing enough of any one song to constitute a performance worth any praise, IMO.
My oldest was so excited to see the Destiny's Child girls come out, and then could barely hear them due to their low mics. It seemed like they were only brought out for show.
Of course, it would be virtually impossible to have a halftime show that didn't disappoint some viewers. Taste is simply too subjective.

I still think Prince's performance was perfection ~ best halftime show ever, IMO!
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #62
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

One thing is for sure...the producers of the show will NEVER please everyone.

Marching Bands? Seriously?
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #63
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I liked the show. It was entertaining. No, there wasn't a whole lot of actual singing, but I think the point of a halftime show is to be entertaining...And it was.

She looked AMAZING!

As far as Destiny's Child joining her and being kind of drowned out by Beyonce...It was a true reunion! That's how things went when they were together!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17- The Strain Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #64
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post

I agree.

I thought the show was entertaining, better than some of the previous years.

I truly hope that NJ/NY can come up with something better than a marching band. If not, I will be changing the channel! That would just be painful!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #65
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post
Not a Beyonce fan, but I thought the halftime show was decent. But it DID look like it was shot in a studio a week ago, edited, and then a background of the stadium was inserted.

Jim
We were all talking here about how fake it looked.

If I'm too old and creaky to be the target audience, my teen daughters and their friends were all discussing how skanky the performance was, asking why the NFL was too cheap to pay for the pole she should have been dancing with, etc. Bear in mind, my daughters have grown up dancing & my college freshman performed cell block tango while she was in HS, in a skimpy costume that didn't make her dad happy even a little bit. There's a whole lot more to dancing than what Beyonce was doing on that stage, so much so that someone intent on their vocal performance realizes they have to focus on one or the other.

Yes, her vocals were live. I'd hardly call repeatedly singing out a single word while background vocalists carried the melody, verses and bridged the choruses so that the audience realized what they were hearing were in fact songs.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #66
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantw8 View Post

You never disappoint!!!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #67
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I have zero desire to see marching bands perform during the Super Bowl halftime show.

I didn't like the singing (didn't sound good acoustically) last night but the performance was good and I loved the stage.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #68
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

It wasn't my favorite, it wasn't the worst I have I have seen. I did feel bad for the person who may have been flogged with her hair. The stage was cool and I loved a lot of the special effects. I thought she looked amazing.

Country music would be horrible. Marching bands is not the NFL. I can guarantee that is NOT going to happen in New Jersey (it's really not New York). The NFL is already taking a risk by having the SB there, they are not going to trot out marching bands or Up with People.

I am glad the NFL has moved past the older singers/bands and providing a more relevant show.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #69
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Quote:
Meh...I liked the halftime show. Enjoyed seeing Destiny's Child back together (though clearly the other two girls had their mic at a lower volume than Beyonce's).

Perhaps you'd be happier with a return to Up With People?
El. Oh. El.

The 1974 Super Bowl halftime show sounded all kinds of exciting (copied from the Wikipedia list of Super Bowl halftime shows):
Performers: University of Texas Marching Band, with Judy Mallett (Miss Texas 1973) on fiddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
LOVED the special effects... the outlining of the stage to be two faces, the "stage" as a "screen" (from the overhead and the "mirrored" look) wowed me. Beyonce's performance? Not so much.

Yes, she's a talented dancer. But she's also known for her voice and it seemed there were more background vocals than Beyonce vocals. I was disappointed.
The 'show' was entertaining, the dancing was great, but I noticed that about the vocals, too, especially in the beginning.

Quote:

Definitely shaking my head over that one. Not exactly great entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
I agree.

I thought the show was entertaining, better than some of the previous years.

I truly hope that NJ/NY can come up with something better than a marching band. If not, I will be changing the channel! That would just be painful!
I'm pretty sure none of the local colleges and universities are known for their marching bands...thankfully!

So many ways they can go with NY/NY themed entertainment, especially when it will have to be performed in less than optimal weather conditions. Should be interesting to see what they come up with. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it will NOT feature country music!
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC
DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel

LexiC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #70
WDWJDS
Mouseketeer

Is there a rule that the SB halftime show is supposed to be a singing concert? I must have missed that memo.

I thought it is supposed to be a performance...........and it was. A little bit of singing, a lot of dancing (and anyone who says that she wasn't dancing has never tried to move their feet to one beat while twisting their hips in a totally different way while whipping their hair to a third rhythm, as well as singing a line here and there).

It cracks me up when people think that they're validating their critique by saying that all of their friends on Facebook, or at their SB party, all felt the same way! Of course, that's one of the reasons that you're friends!! You have some similar interests!

People like different things, and it's ok. How the heck do you think that American Idol finalists can come from different genres? The general public likes a variety of things and one can't be touted as better than the other just because you and your family/friends all felt the same way about it.
WDWJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #71
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post
Not a Beyonce fan, but I thought the halftime show was decent. But it DID look like it was shot in a studio a week ago, edited, and then a background of the stadium was inserted.

Jim
We agree that it "looked funny." We wondered if it was shot on film -- like a concert movie -- rather than video. Then we wondered if you can film something for live broadcast.

I am not a Beyonce fan, but I thought the halftime show was pretty good. The singing and dancing were okay (not fantastic, but okay) and the special effects were pretty cool. Most of all, I felt like it was a focused performance.

My biggest complaint about most of the halftime shows is that they're such a spectacle that, from home, you can't tell what's going on. With the Black Eyed Peas (who were awful), it was a close-up on Will.i.am, then a close-up on Fergie, cut away to the background dancers. Close-up on the 3rd guy. Back to Fergie, etc. Even with Madonna, it was very disjointed -- close-up of the guy on the tight wire, Madonna running up the bleachers, etc.

I felt like I at least got to see the show that Beyonce had planned. (Not sure if that was Beyonce's doing or the camera folks or what, but I appreciated it.)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #72
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWJDS View Post
Is there a rule that the SB halftime show is supposed to be a singing concert? I must have missed that memo.
If the entertainer is a singer, then yes. If Mikhail Baryshnikov was the announced halftime show, I wouldn't except him to sing. I expected Beyonce to sing. Madonna and Janet Jackson were able to do both (although they were probably lipsyncing...)

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #73
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
We were all talking here about how fake it looked.

If I'm too old and creaky to be the target audience, my teen daughters and their friends were all discussing how skanky the performance was, asking why the NFL was too cheap to pay for the pole she should have been dancing with, etc. Bear in mind, my daughters have grown up dancing & my college freshman performed cell block tango while she was in HS, in a skimpy costume that didn't make her dad happy even a little bit. There's a whole lot more to dancing than what Beyonce was doing on that stage, so much so that someone intent on their vocal performance realizes they have to focus on one or the other.

Yes, her vocals were live. I'd hardly call repeatedly singing out a single word while background vocalists carried the melody, verses and bridged the choruses so that the audience realized what they were hearing were in fact songs.
Shockingly, my DS16, who watched at his girlfriend's house, had almost the exact same comment to me when he got home.

"Cute" isn't a word I'd use to describe the halftime performance.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #74
Kae
DIS Veteran

I thought she did do a good job. I think she gave the show that was expected of her. I am still baffed by how bad the black Eyed peas were a few years back they are a great live band so I thought they could get the crowd going and it was just plain bad.

My pick would be Coldplay.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #75
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

For those who are saying marching bands are not entertaining, you've never seen the Badger Marching Band perform.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: