Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
crazy_cremello
I am completely in love with everything Disney!

Sort of solo, need advice please

Hey guys,

Okay, a little background information, me, my brother and my parents were supposed to be heading to WDW this May but due to financial issues we are now unable too So, my plan is to head back either next May or September, depending on how much money I can raise from well, now. When the plans for this May fell through, my parents said they would come with me another time, and then my Nanna fell ill. This has basically brought our world to a standstill, and everyone is too worried to go anywhere incase something happens, which is fair enough. The only problem is, is it possible to live like that for what could be weeks, months or even (hopefully) years? Whilst speaking to my mum, she agrees that we can't stop doing everything because something potentially could happen to my Nanna, however, when talking to them about going to WDW, they really don't want to take the risk. I understand, we are coming over from the UK which is a looooong way to come, and I fear our holiday would come to a horrible ending if something was to happen.

Now I don't want to sound selfish and horrible but I am so desperate to go on this holiday, and I know for a fact that my Nanna wouldn't want us not to do what we want too.

So here is my issue: once I have the money to start booking stuff, do I go ahead and book it? Potentially, I could be jetting off at the wrong time, what if she gets worse before I leave? What if something happens whilst I'm away and I have to come back? Another point, if my parents don't want to come, am I sure I want to go to WDW alone? (Even though I'd be with my boyfriend possibly, that's not the same as going with family. And everytime I've been, they have been there experiencing the magic with me) The thought doesn't scare or worry me, I'm just afraid I would be miserable the whole time knowing my mum and dad weren't there with me...

Or do I wait it out, and possibly wait years to get back to the best place on earth? So I know that my parents will be there with me? I have thought about coming alone, I know that I want to stay in a Disney resort for a week, as for the past 4 visits to Florida, we have always stayed off property in a villa. However I'm planning on staying for a month - I really don't have the money to stay at Disney for a month, so wanting to stay in the villa for 2 possibly the 3 other weeks I'm there, but I can't do that without my parents because I'm not old enough to hire a car to get anywhere!

I'm sorry for the essay, but I want other people's opinions. I feel I'm pestering my parents to make a decision, because I'm so desperate to go back home! And they are feeling slightly pressured, which wasn't intended.

Thank you
Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

First I am very sorry that your Nanna is sick. You can always purchase travel insurance I guess....

But I think you should reconsider your plans. Put the shoe on your foot. It sounds like you are close to your parents. Imagine if one of them were sick like Nanna...could you travel in good conscience. So you have to remember this is the parent of your parent. So it is important that you are sensitive to their time of need. It may be that it is just as difficult for them as it would be for you. Often I think people loose sight of this. Now you may be very close to Nanna...but if you were I don't think you would be writing a message like this.

WDW will be here for years and years....Nanna will not be. You sound young and happy.

I have never been to Disneyland Paris (althought I have been to Paris)...could you just take a long weekend there for a small Disney fix...and maybe take a second long weekend somewhere close to home.

So much can happen in a month's time while you are away.

I treasure the time I had helping my DH and MIL take care of my FIL. I worked during the week so I could give she and DH breaks and stay overnight to let them rest. While I wasn't their child, I was still important in his care. I think you should help your parents in what ever way you can...forgo talking about "getting away". What about helping them with Nanna?

FIL passed away 10/4/05. Two months later DH and I took our Dec trip to WDW. It was a sad vacation (we had been with them the previous year) but also one that helped us heal from the previous months.

While Disney is great, family is greater....once gone you can never see or talk to them again on this Earth.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
crazy_cremello
I am completely in love with everything Disney!

That is very true and I appreciate your input. I am close with my Nanna and I know she'd want us not to worry about her and to go and enjoy ourselves, but like you said I only have so much time before I can no longer see or speak to her. I know family is more important, it always will be, it's just so hard because I want to go and do everything whilst I'm young. On the other hand, it'll be my parents last trip to disney too because they are also getting older and won't want to do the rides or the walking in 5 years time! It's hard but I suppose I'd rather wait for the right time. Thank you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: