Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Ancaster
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 112

Although Toy Story is probably one you could skip, I didn't think it was that bad.
It just won't hold your kids' attention like the Golden Mickeys or Dreams which has so much action in different parts of the stage and lots of changing scenery.
Ancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
Ancaster
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 112

Without kids, at least see the Golden Mickeys.

However, I'm used to subpar shows at 5* Caribbean resorts, so it was a delight to see such nice costumes, moving backgrounds/elevating stages and real singing like authentic musicals.
Ancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #33
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancaster
Although Toy Story is probably one you could skip, I didn't think it was that bad.
It just won't hold your kids' attention like the Golden Mickeys or Dreams which has so much action in different parts of the stage and lots of changing scenery.
Good to know. If its that bad can we leave?
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #34
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancaster
Without kids, at least see the Golden Mickeys.

However, I'm used to subpar shows at 5* Caribbean resorts, so it was a delight to see such nice costumes, moving backgrounds/elevating stages and real singing like authentic musicals.
I'll have my DS12 and he may love it.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
Melissa S
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 592

Just wanted to clarify my formal night comment. On the five night there is a semi-formal night which I think they called "dress up night" which according to the Navigator was optional. On the longer cruises there are formal nights.

From DCL website:

On 4-night cruises:
•First night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
•One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
•Final night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops


On 7-night cruises:
•First night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
•Three additional "cruise casual" nights—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
•One formal and one semi-formal night—formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.
__________________
Magic May 10, 2015 (5 night)
Magic September 27, 2014 (7 night) (first cruise as gold! )

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #36
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas
 
Four Swampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Book our next cruise? I like it! Shutters is the photo store? Are the gift shops cool?

DS loves to pin trade and I saw on one of the daily cruise itineraries that they do pin trade.
I'll chime in to point out the benefits of booking your next cruise while on board a cruise:

1. Reduced deposit. 10% deposit instead of 20%
2. Reduced fare. All the fares are reduced 10%, except not the concierge level fares. Those stay the same.
3. Increased stateroom credit on the future cruise. The amount depends on the length of the cruise, but always more than online booking.

Note that you can book a future cruise, then transfer that booking to a different cruise and retain all the onboard booking (OBB) benefits. So you could book a $1000 three night Bahamas cruise, paying a $100 deposit and anticipating a $100 stateroom credit on that Bahamas cruise. When you get home, perhaps you decide you would prefer a twelve night Mediterranean cruise for $8,000. Call DCL, and they will charge you the additional $700 to bring your deposit up to the 10% level for the $8,000 cruise, and you will get a larger stateroom credit.

Plus, if you decide you do not want to go, call DCL and cancel for a full refund. (No refunds on concierge level cabins).
__________________
Wonder 11/19/09 Bahamas // Magic 08/07/10Mediterranean // Wonder 03/27/11 Mexican Riviera
Dream 11/17/11 Bahamas // Fantasy 03/31/12 Maiden Voyage // Wonder 06/11/12 Alaska
Wonder 09/10/12 Vancouver to LA // Magic 06/15/13 Mediterranean // Magic 11/06/13 Key West & CC
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #37
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran
 
su_A_ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
I'll chime in to point out the benefits of booking your next cruise while on board a cruise:

1. Reduced deposit. 10% deposit instead of 20%
2. Reduced fare. All the fares are reduced 10%, except not the concierge level fares. Those stay the same.
3. Increased stateroom credit on the future cruise. The amount depends on the length of the cruise, but always more than online booking.
Current OBC for on board booking is $100 for cruises less than 7 nights, $200 for sailings of 7+.

If you name a TA while you book on board, you will also get the TA's OBC.

You cannot combine the Disney Visa OBC, nor any online booking OBC offer with this however.
__________________
'77, '84, '94, '00 (SWW) - Off site
'01 (BC), '03 (ASMu), '05 (BC), '06 (YC), '08 (YC), '08 (CSR Xmas),
'09 (CSR), '10 (BC), '10 (CSR Xmas), '11 (BC), '11 (CSR), '12 (5n Dream DD),
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #38
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
I'll chime in to point out the benefits of booking your next cruise while on board a cruise:

1. Reduced deposit. 10% deposit instead of 20%
2. Reduced fare. All the fares are reduced 10%, except not the concierge level fares. Those stay the same.
3. Increased stateroom credit on the future cruise. The amount depends on the length of the cruise, but always more than online booking.

Note that you can book a future cruise, then transfer that booking to a different cruise and retain all the onboard booking (OBB) benefits. So you could book a $1000 three night Bahamas cruise, paying a $100 deposit and anticipating a $100 stateroom credit on that Bahamas cruise. When you get home, perhaps you decide you would prefer a twelve night Mediterranean cruise for $8,000. Call DCL, and they will charge you the additional $700 to bring your deposit up to the 10% level for the $8,000 cruise, and you will get a larger stateroom credit.

Plus, if you decide you do not want to go, call DCL and cancel for a full refund. (No refunds on concierge level cabins).

Is that what people mean by booking a dummy cruise? I have friends who do that and then rebook it multiple times. There's no penalty to keep rebooking?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S View Post
Just wanted to clarify my formal night comment. On the five night there is a semi-formal night which I think they called "dress up night" which according to the Navigator was optional. On the longer cruises there are formal nights.

From DCL website:

On 4-night cruises:
•First night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
•One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
•Final night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops


On 7-night cruises:
•First night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
•Three additional "cruise casual" nights—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
•One formal and one semi-formal night—formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.


Thank you! We're very informal by nature so while I like to look nice, I'm not a formal dress kinda girl. A cute Banana Republic wrap dress is about as dressy as I like. Does the above include 5 night cruises? If so which one?
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #39
aan1701
DIS Veteran
 
aan1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,998

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta

Good to know. If its that bad can we leave?
You can but even Disney thinks this show is a dud. How do I know this. It was to go to DCA. People from Disneyland went to the wonder to see it. They came back with a big no way is that going to DCA and it was scraped. This comes right from a friend at DCL. Seriously skip it. The more people skip it we have a better chance of it getting replaced.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
__________________
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #40
pinkibekki
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 56

We were on the Wonder Jan 14th, and actually liked Toy Story alot. My DS15 and DD13 always liked the Toy Story movies so maybe that's a factor. They sang the evil kid's theme song the rest of the cruise. My DS15 didn't like the intro show the first night and passed on Golden Mickeys the second. My DD13 and I went - she enjoyed it but I thought it was just "meh". The main character (stage director) annoyed me through the whole show. So to each his own. We didn't get to see the magician act since we got back from our excursion in Cozumel late. And we skipped the show the last night to see Monsters Inc 3D instead.
Everyone has different tastes, so take all the opinions with a grain of salt. The shows only run about 45min with the exception of Toy Story which lasted about 20min longer. And there is no problem leaving in the middle if you don't care for it.
pinkibekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #41
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
You can but even Disney thinks this show is a dud. How do I know this. It was to go to DCA. People from Disneyland went to the wonder to see it. They came back with a big no way is that going to DCA and it was scraped. This comes right from a friend at DCL. Seriously skip it. The more people skip it we have a better chance of it getting replaced.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

I don't think we could do more than 2-3 shows to be honest so if one gets scrapped, it'll be this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkibekki View Post
We were on the Wonder Jan 14th, and actually liked Toy Story alot. My DS15 and DD13 always liked the Toy Story movies so maybe that's a factor. They sang the evil kid's theme song the rest of the cruise. My DS15 didn't like the intro show the first night and passed on Golden Mickeys the second. My DD13 and I went - she enjoyed it but I thought it was just "meh". The main character (stage director) annoyed me through the whole show. So to each his own. We didn't get to see the magician act since we got back from our excursion in Cozumel late. And we skipped the show the last night to see Monsters Inc 3D instead.
Everyone has different tastes, so take all the opinions with a grain of salt. The shows only run about 45min with the exception of Toy Story which lasted about 20min longer. And there is no problem leaving in the middle if you don't care for it.

Thank you! And I agree, different strokes for sure.




Everyone has been so helpful and I truly appreciate the replies. I'm a little closer to booking but the room and deck categories are confusing me. I have a friend and DU working up quotes as well as the DCL site. I'm going to cal AAA next as they may have deals.

How do people just book a cruise without research?

Does anyone know of a good hotel that will transport between our hotel in Miami to the port or is this something Disney will do? Guess I should call someone at Disney Cruise Line. I see the $40 fee pp rt from airport to port but it says nothing about from hotel to port. Or do I find my way back to the airport and they pick me up from there?

Also anything I must know like rooms not to get? I'm looking at the porthole or Navigators porthole. It seems the deck right under the poll deck is not popular from my research.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #42
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The Navigators's Verandah is a balcony that's like an enclosed porch with a large open porthole.


Apparently there's a Semi-Formal Optional night.


This, I LOVE! Is that a window? It's so clear I can't tell. Is this less expensive than a verandah?
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #43
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkibekki View Post
My DS15 and DD13 always liked the Toy Story movies so maybe that's a factor.
We LOVE the Toy Story movies and walked out of the musical production. And it has to be really bad for me to do that to the performers on stage. So while it's absolutely possible for some people to love it and others hate it, whether or not one loved the source material is apparently not relevant to determining which one a person will be.
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #44
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas
 
Four Swampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Is that what people mean by booking a dummy cruise? I have friends who do that and then rebook it multiple times. There's no penalty to keep rebooking?
Correct. A dummy cruise is a booking to hold all the OBB benefits. You can rebook as much as you like.
__________________
Wonder 11/19/09 Bahamas // Magic 08/07/10Mediterranean // Wonder 03/27/11 Mexican Riviera
Dream 11/17/11 Bahamas // Fantasy 03/31/12 Maiden Voyage // Wonder 06/11/12 Alaska
Wonder 09/10/12 Vancouver to LA // Magic 06/15/13 Mediterranean // Magic 11/06/13 Key West & CC
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #45
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
We LOVE the Toy Story movies and walked out of the musical production. And it has to be really bad for me to do that to the performers on stage. So while it's absolutely possible for some people to love it and others hate it, whether or not one loved the source material is apparently not relevant to determining which one a person will be.
We love the movies too and I agree, it has to be bad for us to walk out of a live production, in fact I don't think we ever have but if its that bad, we will.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
Correct. A dummy cruise is a booking to hold all the OBB benefits. You can rebook as much as you like.

Thank you! That's quite the perk.



I'm loving the navigators virandah. I think DS would get a huge kick out of it. We've got a boat and love it, all things nautical are cool to him.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.