Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan

The Aqua Duck is also on the Dream
It is? Cool! Is the Wonder the oldest?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
It is? Cool! Is the Wonder the oldest?
No, the Magic is.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You will be assigned to a dining rotation. THis tells you which dining room you are scheduled in each night. By the end of the cruise, everyone on board will have seen the same menus--but some of them are on different nights. You can choose to eat in the pool deck restaurant which serves a sit down dinner on all but the first and last nights, but we like the main dining rooms (in general)

The Wonder is the second ship that DCL launched. THe Magic came first.

You need to understand the difference between a Navigator's verandah (which someone called an "open porthole") and an oceanview (porthole) cabin. There are plenty of cabins with portholes on the Wonder!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta

I have no idea Thank you. Do you know where I can find menus?
You're welcome. Didn't want you to get a shock when you checked in and your KTTW card had different letters, LOL!

The DCL website has a menu for each restaurant listed on their individual pages. Go to Ships, then Disney Wonder, then Dining.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I don't know what you mean by "The Wonder doesn't have the port hole rooms (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so the veranda may be a better option." But, this was our room on the Wonder last October. Definitely a porthole in that room. ....

Thanks for the correction - I was confused because I read so much about the novelty of the port hole rooms on the Dream - I was thinking the question dealt with the virtual porthole rooms.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #21
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

What you are confusing is the 'magical portholes'. The inside cabins on the dream and fantasy shave them. They are like an HDTV with HD real time views of the ocean. And occasionally characters pop up.

But all four ships have ocean view rooms with portholes (a few rooms with two), and verandah rooms.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #22
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

I'm just off the Wonder from Miami yesterday on a 5-night that hit Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

If you fly into MIA, the round-trip Disney transfers are $40 per person. You can also fly in a day early and add a hotel through DCL and include your transfers for $60 per person. (You'll have to price the hotel through DCL, though, as those rates vary based on date). Disney is using the JW Marriott Hotel Miami and the Eden Roc Renaissance Miami Beach. If you get the Disney transfers, they'll do airport > hotel, hotel > port, port > airport for that price.

I'll second (third?) the idea of a Navigator's Verandah on the Wonder. I've booked my sister in one for November on the Magic and myself in one for January, also on the Magic. Note that on the Wonder the verandah openings are oval shaped instead of round. But I think it's a great compromise between Oceanview and Balcony both in price and in style.

Our shows on the Wonder 5-night cruise were a variety/welcome show on Night 1, Golden Mickeys on night 2 (optional dress up night), Toy Story the Musical on night 3, magic show and Pirates IN the Caribbean deck party on night 4, and Disney Dreams on night 5. That schedule could be slightly different for the Castaway Cay version of the Miami 5-night cruises, but should be about the same. I love love Disney Dreams, and I also like Golden Mickeys (but some scenes are different on the Wonder than on the Dream). What I saw of Toy Story was great, but I only caught the second half of the show. If I was going to see one of those again, it would be Disney Dreams simply because of Peter Pan.

Room service is really free! Well, almost everything is free -- sodas and other bar items have a charge. Many people tip a couple dollars when their tray arrives. My niece, who is 7, said that room service was the favorite part of her cruise on the Dream in December. LOL!

Cozumel has a lot of beach clubs that sound like they're just what you're looking for. You can book beach days through DCL or on your own. I know Disney can use Mr. Sanchos and Playa Mia (was told that by the Port Adventures desk this cruise). There are others that some here on the boards like. For the independent places you can make reservations by email or web beforehand and pay a small reservation hold fee. Then grab a taxi from the port to whichever beach resort you've chosen. Another option would be getting a cab to Chankanaab park, which has dolphins, sea lions, manatees, beach, food, and more. (We wanted to do Chankanaab this time, but the weather was rainy so we did an island taxi tour instead.)

Here are some Navigators for the Wonder 5-night with Castaway Cay: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3046410

Hope that helps!!

Last edited by GetGlowing; 02-04-2013 at 02:22 AM.
GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #23
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to chime in on the shows. After 12 cruises the only show I refuse to ever watch again is Toy Story. I'd rather have a root canal than sit through that again. So I would recommend skipping that.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701
Just wanted to chime in on the shows. After 12 cruises the only show I refuse to ever watch again is Toy Story. I'd rather have a root canal than sit through that again. So I would recommend skipping that.

Lol and I totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
You will be assigned to a dining rotation. THis tells you which dining room you are scheduled in each night. By the end of the cruise, everyone on board will have seen the same menus--but some of them are on different nights. You can choose to eat in the pool deck restaurant which serves a sit down dinner on all but the first and last nights, but we like the main dining rooms (in general)

The Wonder is the second ship that DCL launched. THe Magic came first.

You need to understand the difference between a Navigator's verandah (which someone called an "open porthole") and an oceanview (porthole) cabin. There are plenty of cabins with portholes on the Wonder!

Thanks you for the information. That helps so much. And then there's the Verandah as well correct?

I need to look at the pool desk restaurant too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
You're welcome. Didn't want you to get a shock when you checked in and your KTTW card had different letters, LOL!

The DCL website has a menu for each restaurant listed on their individual pages. Go to Ships, then Disney Wonder, then Dining.
Thank you! I know I must seem dense planning a trip I know every little about other than its Disney but we are huge Disney lovers and this is what he's asking for. I've always wanted to take a DC but DH is not a cruise fan so this should work perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
I'm just off the Wonder from Miami yesterday on a 5-night that hit Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Was it fantastic?

Quote:
If you fly into MIA, the round-trip Disney transfers are $40 per person. You can also fly in a day early and add a hotel through DCL and include your transfers for $60 per person. (You'll have to price the hotel through DCL, though, as those rates vary based on date). Disney is using the JW Marriott Hotel Miami and the Eden Roc Renaissance Miami Beach. If you get the Disney transfers, they'll do airport > hotel, hotel > port, port > airport for that price.
We'll fly into Miami I believe and the day before. That sounds perfect. I need to research those hotels though Marriotts are generally great.

Quote:
I'll second (third?) the idea of a Navigator's Verandah on the Wonder. I've booked my sister in one for November on the Magic and myself in one for January, also on the Magic. Note that on the Wonder the verandah openings are oval shaped instead of round. But I think it's a great compromise between Oceanview and Balcony both in price and in style.

It sounds like a the perfect compromise. I have a friend and DU working up quotes. I've also been looking at the DC site. Is there a perk to not booking with Disney?

Quote:
Our shows on the Wonder 5-night cruise were a variety/welcome show on Night 1, Golden Mickeys on night 2 (optional dress up night), Toy Story the Musical on night 3, magic show and Pirates IN the Caribbean deck party on night 4, and Disney Dreams on night 5. That schedule could be slightly different for the Castaway Cay version of the Miami 5-night cruises, but should be about the same. I love love Disney Dreams, and I also like Golden Mickeys (but some scenes are different on the Wonder than on the Dream). What I saw of Toy Story was great, but I only caught the second half of the show. If I was going to see one of those again, it would be Disney Dreams simply because of Peter Pan.

Thank you! They sound really fun. Can you tell me more about optional dress up? How dressy is dressy?

Quote:
Room service is really free! Well, almost everything is free -- sodas and other bar items have a charge. Many people tip a couple dollars when their tray arrives. My niece, who is 7, said that room service was the favorite part of her cruise on the Dream in December. LOL!

I could really seeing room service as one of my son's favorites parts. He loves to be spoiled on vacation...don't we all. This is so fun! I'll have to figure out when to order and what's available. I'd love to have cookies and milk waiting each night when we return.

Quote:
Cozumel has a lot of beach clubs that sound like they're just what you're looking for. You can book beach days through DCL or on your own. I know Disney can use Mr. Sanchos and Playa Mia (was told that by the Port Adventures desk this cruise). There are others that some here on the boards like. For the independent places you can make reservations by email or web beforehand and pay a small reservation hold fee. Then grab a taxi from the port to whichever beach resort you've chosen. Another option would be getting a cab to Chankanaab park, which has dolphins, sea lions, manatees, beach, food, and more. (We wanted to do Chankanaab this time, but the weather was rainy so we did an island taxi tour instead.)
Both sound like great options! woohoo: I can tell this will be one of our favorite days. I'll see if I can find some info on additional beach resorts. We won't want to hang by the pool but I love a palapa with a server. Thank you so much. I'd never know this was an option. Sounds like great fun!

The park also sounds fun. Is that something that needs reservations?

Quote:
Here are some Navigators for the Wonder 5-night with Castaway Cay: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3046410

Hope that helps!!

It helps immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post

Thats funny! Was it too cheesy?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #26
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thats funny! Was it too cheesy?
No not cheesy just really, really, really bad.

DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #27
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701

No not cheesy just really, really, really bad.

Good to know. What is there to do if we skip a show? We'll have the early dinner seating as of now but I'm considering the late seating for a few reasons....it's a hard choice.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Good to know. What is there to do if we skip a show? We'll have the early dinner seating as of now but I'm considering the late seating for a few reasons....it's a hard choice.
I would use the time to go to the stores, shutters, or book your next cruise. Since most will be at the show those will not be very busy.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #29
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
I would use the time to go to the stores, shutters, or book your next cruise. Since most will be at the show those will not be very busy.

Book our next cruise? I like it! Shutters is the photo store? Are the gift shops cool?

DS loves to pin trade and I saw on one of the daily cruise itineraries that they do pin trade.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #30
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Book our next cruise? I like it! Shutters is the photo store? Are the gift shops cool?

DS loves to pin trade and I saw on one of the daily cruise itineraries that they do pin trade.
Your son can pin trade in the shops. Yes shutters is the photo store.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: