Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
glencoe
Mouseketeer

Smile Best GF TS and CS suggestions

Returning in Aug. and am getting ready to make my ADRs. We have our favorite (O'Hana Breakfast-the whole family agrees on that one) but I want to change up the trip and try some new places. We keep doing the same thing over and over again...

I was thinking Boma but heard it does not do GF very well, so does anyone have any GF favorites they would recommend so I can make this trip a new experience and get us out of our usual same restaurants box!

BTW anything but Coral Reef I got really bad food poisioning from the lobster bisque there.

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,
July 2006 Poly-family trip
Back to Poly! (Aug. 2011)
DVC Membership......... BLT

Celiac(17)(13)(10) (Pepper)(Mater)
glencoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
daraweb
Mouseketeer

My DD9 has celiac disease and we just spent New Years Eve at Boma and had a fabulous experience! There were tons of delicious options...so mamy in fact we switched our plans for our next trip so we could get back there for dinner. The chef was super nice and brought out ton of food (almost embarrasing amounts for a 9 year old!)

The highlights were the spice rubbed chicken, cocnut rice, nut-crusted salmon (amazing!), and 3 different soups! The dessert tray he brought was a work of art...

We always love Sunshine Seasons because my daughter loves the roasted chicken with rice and beans. This is served at the grill and ALL the dishes at the grill section at Seasons are GF so it is the only place that they don't need to get a manager (if you order from a different bay then there is much gluten!)

She also loves whispering canyon.
Feel free to ask if there are other places you want to know about. We are going back in March and trying a ton of new places...Teppan Edo, Rose & Crown, Cape May Bfast, Be Our Guest. Anyone have any favorite GF meals at these places?
daraweb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I am allergic to wheat in addition to about 10 other allergies. We just went in December and we ate at:

Crystal palace
50s prime time
Sci fi
The plaza
1900 park fare

POP century food court
Studio catering company
Columbia harbor house
Cosmic rays
Sunshine seasons

We got fabulous service at all of thes places. I am sure that if the only restriction is gluten free that all of these places would definitely be able to accommodate you.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Last week I was at wdw, I am GF (Celiac) and ate at:
Crystal Palace, Jiko, Mara, Cosmic Rays, La Cantina, BOG, Fountain View for ice cream, Electric Umbrella, and of course a Dole Whip at Aloha Isle..

geffric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

My daughter has several allergies in addition to gluten (corn, soy, peanuts and tree nuts). Honestly the only restaurant that she has not been able to find anything to eat at was Pizza Planet. CHH could only make her broccoli.

Her favorite places to eat are:
The Plaza
Backlot Express (turkey sandwich on the GF bun)
Earl of Sandwich (they made her a salad topped with the sliced roast beef)
Rose & Crown
Contempo Cafe'
1900 Park Fare
Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
valree
Mouseketeer

I would highly recommend Sanaa! I went there in November for the first time and had a wonderful meal. I'm in the process of writing my reviews from that trip (so late), but I thought the food was delicious.
valree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure where you read that Boma doesn't do GF well because every review I've ever read puts it near the top of the best places to dine GF list.

Our favourite CS locations are
AK: Flame Tree BBQ
MK: Cosmic Ray's & Columbia Harbour House
EP: Sunshine Seasons (must do every trip for us)
DHS: we really don't do CS here but in a pinch we'll get chicken tenders somewhere as they're available at several locations (we can't have the pizza at Pizza Planet due to other allergies but they do have safe GF pizza)

For in park TS, here's where we enjoy.

Epcot:
One restaurant that I was really reluctant for some reason to try was Biergarten but I was really pleasantly surprised. The majority of the items on the buffet is gluten free so we had LOTS of variety. The chefs for some reason seem reluctant to get fresh food from the back but when an entire section is free of our allergens I just go ahead and get the food from the buffet and ask for items that are beside unsafe foods to be brought from the kitchen and they always say yes.
We've also had good experiences at LeCellier but we're steak lovers so it's easy. Their maple creme brulee is gluten free.
We've eaten dinner at Akershus a few times and enjoyed it a lot each time. Chefs have gotten safe foods for us of whatever we wanted from the cold buffet and then prepared delicious entrees. I don't know what they have for desserts for those who are only gluten free but for our long lists of allergies we only had the standard cookies with dairy free ice cream or sorbet. I think the Rice Cream dessert may be gluten free though.

MK: We love the Plaza. We try to eat here every trip these days. It doesn't cost much more than getting CS but you get served rather than having to deal with lines and carrying your own food and the food is wonderful.

DHS: We've never had a bad meal at any of the restaurants. Sci-Fi doesn't have many options but what they have is good and we love the atmosphere. 50s PTC has lots of options including AMAZING fried chicken, though you have to plan on waiting a long time for it as it takes a long time to prep and cook. HBD has amazing GF crab cakes and they have other options as well if you're only GF (with our long lists it was more difficult but for just GF they're good). Mama Melrose had lots of options and the chef did an amazing job creating delicious meals.

AK: We've only tried Tusker House but we've had great experiences at both breakfast and lunch. We'll definitely be back. They have so many options for different foods than you find anywhere else. I think DD15's favourite food from last time we had lunch was a root vegetable medley that that chef created for her. I was quite partial to the fried plantains. They've got plenty of great variety.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
glencoe
Mouseketeer

"I'm not sure where you read that Boma doesn't do GF well because every review I've ever read puts it near the top of the best places to dine GF list."

Thanks Clanmccullogh- I have wanted to go to Boma so this visit we will give it a try, I am not familiar w/ where animal kingdom lodge is located compared to the animal kingdom...close?

thanks!

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,
July 2006 Poly-family trip
Back to Poly! (Aug. 2011)
DVC Membership......... BLT

Celiac(17)(13)(10) (Pepper)(Mater)
glencoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

AKL is the closest resort to AK but you do still need to take the bus/drive as it's not walkable. Once on the bus I think it only takes maybe 5 minutes but you have to wait for the bus to arrive. The transportation issue becomes getting back to your resort afterward if you're using Disney transportation. You have to take a bus from AKL to a park that's still open or DTD and then catch a bus from there back to your resort. I'd strongly recommend a taxi if you're using Disney transportation.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
primrosea
Mouseketeer

We are a gluten free family and had an amazing experience at Boma. I was a little worried about the buffet style, but had no problems at all with cross contamination. The choices were out of this world and even my usually picky daughter found plenty to eat there. Don't forget about the GF zebra domes. They gave us 12 to take back to our room. Our favorite meal of all of our trips!
Pop~October 2012

AoALM~October-November 2012
Port Orleans Riverside~October 2013
POFQ~December 2014

http://livingontheprimrosepath.blogspot.com/ LETS TALK GLUTEN FREE DISNEY
primrosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post

Epcot:
One restaurant that I was really reluctant for some reason to try was Biergarten but I was really pleasantly surprised. The majority of the items on the buffet is gluten free so we had LOTS of variety. The chefs for some reason seem reluctant to get fresh food from the back but when an entire section is free of our allergens I just go ahead and get the food from the buffet and ask for items that are beside unsafe foods to be brought from the kitchen and they always say yes.

AK: We've only tried Tusker House but we've had great experiences at both breakfast and lunch. We'll definitely be back. They have so many options for different foods than you find anywhere else. I think DD15's favourite food from last time we had lunch was a root vegetable medley that that chef created for her. I was quite partial to the fried plantains. They've got plenty of great variety.
I'm really surprised you had that experience at Biergarten. They were the absolute best about our allergies on our last trip. They actually prepared a plate that was ready for us when we were seated as we had corresponded prior to our trip about my DS's allergies.

We also ate at Tusker House and really enjoyed it. We'll be going to both of these restaurants again this trip.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
minniesbiggiestfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarabelleCowFan
My daughter has several allergies in addition to gluten (corn, soy, peanuts and tree nuts). Honestly the only restaurant that she has not been able to find anything to eat at was Pizza Planet. CHH could only make her broccoli.

Her favorite places to eat are:
The Plaza
Backlot Express (turkey sandwich on the GF bun)
Earl of Sandwich (they made her a salad topped with the sliced roast beef)
Rose & Crown
Contempo Cafe'
1900 Park Fare
I'm curious as to what you ate at rose and crown. Hubs wanted to go there but I was worried I'd have nothing good to eat.

Thanks

Me
Dh
Ds (11)
Dd (8)
minniesbiggiestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
minniesbiggiestfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch
I'm not sure where you read that Boma doesn't do GF well because every review I've ever read puts it near the top of the best places to dine GF list.

Our favourite CS locations are
AK: Flame Tree BBQ
MK: Cosmic Ray's & Columbia Harbour House
EP: Sunshine Seasons (must do every trip for us)
DHS: we really don't do CS here but in a pinch we'll get chicken tenders somewhere as they're available at several locations (we can't have the pizza at Pizza Planet due to other allergies but they do have safe GF pizza)

Epcot:
We've also had good experiences at LeCellier but we're steak lovers so it's easy. Their maple creme brulee is gluten free.
We've eaten dinner at Akershus a few times and enjoyed it a lot each time. Chefs have gotten safe foods for us of whatever we wanted from the cold buffet and then prepared delicious entrees. I don't know what they have for desserts for those who are only gluten free but for our long lists of allergies we only had the standard cookies with dairy free ice cream or sorbet. I think the Rice Cream dessert may be gluten free though.

MK: We love the Plaza. We try to eat here every trip these days. It doesn't cost much more than getting CS but you get served rather than having to deal with lines and carrying your own food and the food is wonderful.

DHS: We've never had a bad meal at any of the restaurants. Sci-Fi doesn't have many options but what they have is good and we love the atmosphere. 50s PTC has lots of options including AMAZING fried chicken, though you have to plan on waiting a long time for it as it takes a long time to prep and cook. HBD has amazing GF crab cakes and they have other options as well if you're only GF (with our long lists it was more difficult but for just GF they're good). Mama Melrose had lots of options and the chef did an amazing job creating delicious meals.

What did you eat at the sci fI. Kids want to go there but I want chicken at 50's. Lol.

Me
Dh
Ds (11)
Dd (8)
minniesbiggiestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniesbiggiestfan View Post
What did you eat at the sci fI. Kids want to go there but I want chicken at 50's. Lol.
My kids love the ribs at Sci-Fi. Since I can no longer tollerate pork, that wasn't an option for me this trip so after talking with the chef he came up with a semi-reuben for me. Since this type of sandwich is better on flat bread rather than buns and the only "regular" allergy bread that he had was GNI buns, he took a pizza crust and used that as the bread. He had to leave off the cheese since he didn't have any soy cheese but it was still pretty good. We also love getting milk shakes though they are always pretty thin. I was shocked that the chef could do an orange creamsicle flavour for me.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
tink519
Mouseketeer

I have my GF Review in my signature, take a look. I went back to Kouzzina this past November for a business trip and it was just as great.
May 2012: HHI ~ October 2013: OKW
2013 PTR: Looking for a creative title :)

2011 Trip Report: It's a Gluten Free World After All: March 2011! ~ Gluten Free Dining Review 2011
tink519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: