Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

thread for renting dvc and I really dont understand

I looked at one website and I really don't understand how to rent these and when I add up what I think they mean the rooms are still expensive. Would love to stay at Beach Club.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

DVC rooms are going to be expensive, no matter who you get them from. The reason why many people like renting points is that Disney rack rates for the same type of room tend to be more expensive than what you would pay for the rented points. However, if you're looking to stay at a Deluxe resort for Value prices, you'll be disappointed!

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

At david's rental (i think he also posts as "daddio" on disboards)-who is probably largest commercial "broker" facilitating point rentals, his 13 dollars per point for dvc rentals comes out to roughly 40-45 percent discount off rack rate if comparing a dvc studio rental with a direct disney booking at the std room at the corresponding deluxe resort (so a 450/night beach club room compares to approx 275/night for a dvc studio in beach club villas). The only "trick' is that he has a no-cancellation policy, but that is largely bc his suppliers (ie, actual dvc members who supply his inventory) have a very tough time cancelling vacations, so he needs to protect them.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

Ok thank you. Maybe it would just be easier for me to wait for a room discount.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

It is also hard to find availability less than MANY months out (7 is often cutoff, other than saratoga springs, where there are more last-minute options), but that is simply a reflection of general dvc limits- and a large reason why i never became a dvc owner- we cannot plan that far in advance. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly chloe
Ok thank you. Maybe it would just be easier for me to wait for a room discount.
The "really good" room discounts (like the Disney Visa discount this spring that also opened up to general public) are ALMOST as good a deal as dvc rentals, partic if consider the discounted park tickets included with that offer, but dvc still cheaper, likely, but admittedly less hassle just to do one stop shopping at disney direct. But dvc rental is avail all the time, not just when dis offers deals (typically off peak times), so if want deal at busy times, dvc rental good option.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
msdaisy
Mouseketeer

DVC rentals work for some people and not others. We did it last year and loved it. If you want anything other than Old Key West or Saratoga Springs then you have to plan far in advance. We stayed for 8 nights at the beginning of June last year at OKW for the same price per night as Pop Century. OKW is the only studio with two regular queen beds - plus the resort is really nice. I think Disney rack rate was like $385 and I paid $135 a night. I think the main drawback of the DVC studios is the combination of one queen and one sleeper sofa in the other studios. I guess if you had a couple of young kids, a sleeper sofa wouldn't be so bad.

It worked for us, and we used our savings to add the dining plan. You can use Magical Express as well. We would love to rent at AKL, but we were not quick enough this year so no availability in June! If my sister doesn't get some kind of outstanding pin in the next few days we are going to rent at OKW again. You can enjoy great savings with this, but if you have a particular resort in mind you will need to be ready to pull the trigger at 11 months out.

2006 Offsite, 2009 Yacht Club, 2010 Offsite, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Old Key West, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2013 First Trip to Disneyland! Embassy Suites North
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
xmansmom13
Earning My Ears

I used David's vacation rentals to set up for 3 nights in August. We are actually going to be at Disney for 7 nights but like you it was too expensive to stay all 7 at Animal Kingdom. So we split it so the first 4 days we at the ASM and the last 3 at Animal Kingdom. If you hcae some flexability it isn't too bad.
xmansmom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
lobsterkmd
Mouseketeer

I just rented directly from a DVC owner. I got a 2bdr at BCV for about $1000 less than what a regular room at rack rate would cost. It will save us more $$ having a kitchen. Plus we have all that extra room which will be nice traveling with 2 adults an 11 yr old and a 1 yr old.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Here's an example...
Staying at BWV's, in a standard view studio....April 7-13, 2013.
If booked through David..it would come to $1157
If booked through WDW....$2814.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

We just rented points for the 1st time... It was really rather easy. Just as the above poster noted, we rented directly thru a DVC owner. Basically how it works is depending on where you want to stay, what accomodations you are looking for and when you want to go. Once you have all that it is based on a point system and the points broker or the DVC ower will charge you X $'s per point. So for us we wanted a standard view studio at Animal Kingdom Villas for 7 nights in June. For that we needed 116 points. The DVC owner then charged us $11 per point. So it then cost us 116 x $11 = $1276.

That cost is a pretty big discount as opposed to booking the same room directly thru Disney.

For us to see if renting was really worth it we priced out what a vacation package booked thru Disney would cost with park tickets and dining plan included. We then compared what it would cost us to rent the Studio, what a 8 day park hoppers would cost and added in the QS dining plan. At the end of the day, staying at AKV with 8 day park hopper and QS dining plan worked out to about the same price as it would cost us to stay at POR (a moderate resort) with the same tickets and dining as we are getting staying at AKV. So for us, it was a no brainer to stay at a nicer resort.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
DisneyDad222
Earning My Ears

Going in two weeks for our first DVC rental. We're in a studio at BWV for 7 nights. Total cost was $1300 with another $1083 for 7 day park hoppers. Last year it cost us the same for 6 days at CBR. I compared the BW rate to what it would take booking through the dis site and we saved close to $2000. We don't get the free dining, but we can afford to pay out of pocket with the savings and still end up spending 33% less.
If the trip goes well, we're going to continue renting for years to come.
9/11 - CBR - DS's first trip with dw, grandma and nana - free dining, mnsshp, found out week before the dw was preggers again....
3/13 - BWV here we come...DD's first trip at 10mos old! Yikes...
DisneyDad222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

I was thinking of Nov. 30-Dec. 6th. For the Beach Club or even CR would be nice. Don't know what that woud cost.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

To figure out how much it would cost, you look at the point charts, choose your resort, room type, and dates, and get the total number of points you'd need. Points are currently going for about $11 from private owners, $13 from brokers like DVCbyrequest.

I will say that your dates are during the most popular time of year for DVC members to visit, and it's already a month past the opening of reservations for those dates. So if you decide you would like to rent, I'd start contacting owners or brokers ASAP. I would also suggest looking at backup choices at the larger resorts like AKV, SSR or OKW, just in case the resorts you're looking for aren't available.

Oh - I noticed you mentioned CR and BC. The Contemporary Resort can't be booked on points, but Bay Lake Tower (a DVC resort) is right next door and connected by a bridge to CR. Similarly, the Beach Club resort can't be booked on points, but the adjoining Beach Club Villas resort is DVC.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly chloe
I was thinking of Nov. 30-Dec. 6th. For the Beach Club or even CR would be nice. Don't know what that woud cost.
Besides renting points, you can Keep checking for Disney's discounts. Its usually a 30-35% discount for DVC resorts. Maybe ask a Disney travel agent or AAA if they typically discount that time frame. Also, DVC points are lowest on the dates your looking to go!
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: