Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Anonny
Mouseketeer

iPhone help needed - Illuminations and more

I have a challenge for you iPhone experts.

For the past year I been using my iPhone 4 only with the cloud. I don't have a computer at home for syncing. It died and was never replaced. (Hooray for iPads!)

I am now setting up my new iPhone 5. I did not backup from the cloud. I populated it all manually, all worked well with one exception.

Any music that I bought from Amazon, I can get from Amazon cloud. That is good.

I have some music that was in iTunes that has been permanently on my iPhone 4, since I have not synced with iTunes on a computer.

My challenges are albums that I own that I had put on Itunes. (Four Parks and Disney Wishes! and a few others). I still have the physical CDs. Will it work to install iTunes on my work computer to add these few albums through iTunes? Will I mess things up somehow? I also have anfew albums on the phone that were installed from owned albums, but we now longer have the physical CD.

The bigger challenge, is my very favorite playlist, Illuminations, Promise, and We Go On. Years ago, someone from the boards sent MP3s for the songs. I would buy them, but they are available only as a $20 album, used from Amazon. Is this the way to go? If someone re-sent me the songs (yeah, I know, illegal), how would I get them on my new iPhone?

Is there any other way to get music from one iPhone to another.

Thanks for any and all help!
Anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

You could set up your work computer to sync with your iPhone 4 using iTunes. You will have to authorize your work computer in iTunes. You may first want to deauthorize all other computers so you don't have a problem with the 5 computer limit. (And, of course, have to have your employer's permission.)

Once you sync your old phone to the computer it should copy over any non-copy protected songs to iTunes. Be careful not to let iTunes erase the songs on the iPhone 4. I don't think it will but be sure to pay attention to the warnings.

Once you have set up iTunes to sync with your 4, you can add the iPhone 5. There is no need to delete the 4 (unless you get rid of it, of course). You can have more than one iPhone on your iTunes. I have a 4 and a 5 and both sync with the same iTunes account without any problem.

The non-copy protected music should sync fine. Of course, I assume you will then delete the songs from your 4 so you don't violate any copyright by having multiple copies of the same song. (I think most publishers have given up worrying about one user having multiple copies - chosing to focus on illegal distribution of copies).
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Anonny
Mouseketeer

Thanks, Jack. I thought your explanaion was very clear.

Now I am at work, opened iTunes. It seems the music I want is on the iPhone, not in my iTunes Music Library.

Sync Music - the message is "Are you sure you want to sync music? All existing songs on the iPhone will will be replaced with songs and playlists from your iTunes library".

I hit cancel. I want the songs on my iPhone to go to iTunes on the computer so I can then move them to the new iPhone. I must be missing something.
Thanks for the help!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonny View Post
Thanks, Jack. I thought your explanaion was very clear.

Now I am at work, opened iTunes. It seems the music I want is on the iPhone, not in my iTunes Music Library.

Sync Music - the message is "Are you sure you want to sync music? All existing songs on the iPhone will will be replaced with songs and playlists from your iTunes library".

I hit cancel. I want the songs on my iPhone to go to iTunes on the computer so I can then move them to the new iPhone. I must be missing something.
Thanks for the help!
I was concerned you might get this message. It isn't a good sign, in my experience. iCloud will only back up purchased music (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859) that won't help with stuff you loaded from CDs.

I don't know how to get the other mp3's off. The only other thing you might try is to call your iPhone 4 carrier and ask if they will unlock the phone (since it is out of contract). You might then be able to access the files. I don't know.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Anonny
Mouseketeer

I did a lot of searching a number of third party ways to transfer. I stopped when I saw costs from $25 - $40. I am not copying a "ton" of stuff!

Found CopyTrans Manager. I selected the ones to copy, the progress bar zipped along looking good. Then, "you only get 100 for for free message" came up, I had selected 105. I last five were not important.

I deleted the program and reloaded it. I had forgotten the three tracks from Illuminations I use for alarm and ringtone.

Done! Now they show up in iTunes music library. Next step, plug in the new iPhone 5 and hope for the best. But I forgot the lightning bug cable!

Hopefully, I will be able to sync the music from iTunes to the new phone and not lose any of the apps, etc. already on the phone.

Sound like it will work?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: