Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #31
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Yeah, I find it REALLY interesting that so many threads about how old the Magic is and how she must be getting worn and shabby starting popping up after that list got some publicity. Lots of "new" members with very few posts stirring the pot, too.
I don't see them as stirring the pot. I see them as coming onboard and being a part of this WONDERful community. And I like to help newbies as much as I can. That's just my opinion - which ain't much - so my DD14 tells me She also is always saying "you just don't KNOW!" Which is probably true. But on 1/29/12 the ship looked great to me.

OP - read the trip reports. Some people comment on the condition of the ship. I just read a Galv. report tonight. It stated that the ship was clean and very well kept up. No complaints.

Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 02-07-2013 at 03:00 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #32
sheldonlarson1246
Earning My Ears

I have been on 2 Fantasy cruises and 3 Magic cruises and 1 Wonder cruise. I am not a newbie, but I have not been able to be on the Magic since 2004. Recently, just booked the Magic out of Galveston for the 8 Night Bahamas on Feb. 15th. I'm not trying to stir any pot or create any problems. All I was wondering was how the ship was looking considering all the mixed reviews. Reason being, I'm taking a brand new DCL cruisers with me and want too have them have a MAGICAL experience. So this thread is for nothing but wanting some inside on more recent cruisers and there thoughts. So anything you can say about characters, food, swimming, crew, the ship. ANYTHING AT ALL will help tons!

Thanks
Sheldon
sheldonlarson1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #33
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster

I don't see them as stirring the pot. I see them as coming onboard and being a part of this WONDERful community. And I like to help newbies as much as I can.
99% of newbies are exactly that. Then there are the trolls. All I was saying is that the confluence of events set off some of my alarm bells, and I'm not the only one. Hopefully those who are honestly asking the question got enough viewpoints from both sides to understand that beauty is, in fact, in the eye of the beholder.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #34
dizzi
DIS Veteran

This is DISNEY.

A Floating HOTEL, RESORT.

Everyday people stay at WONDERFUL Hotels and RESORTs without worring about how wll DISNEY is maintaining them. Becasue its DISNEY!!!

Obviously the SHIP isnt brand new and even after DRY DOCK it wont be brand new, but will always be DISNEY quality.

There will always be painting and working on the ship when passengers are present there is very little down time in between cruies.

ENJOY the Experience and be happy you have it!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #35
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker View Post
It may have more to do with the fact she is scheduled for a major refurb this summer. I am on an April sailing and reading news of the refurb makes me wonder how old she's looking.

The refurb has nothing to do with her looking old, which many people who have sailed her would agree that she does not look old. The ships typically go into dry dock every 2 1/2 years or so. Along with maintenance on the ships operating systems, they always do some to a lot of cosmetic and even structural changes. With the new ships finally delivered and operating the classics are getting more extensive make overs when they go into dry dock this year and next. But I am sure Disney is going to let them get run down and nasty in the mean time. Too many people have paid too much money to get less that the best product.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #36
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonlarson1246 View Post
Could you share some stories about how the ship looks? How the crew was? The food? Entertainment? The characters? The cleanliness? The staterooms? Pretty much the whole experience and how it was!

THANKS!
I sailed on it once in Sept., twice in Nov. and again in Dec., so that should tell you something.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #37
allears

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
I sailed on it once in Sept., twice in Nov. and again in Dec., so that should tell you something.
Wow!!! So envious!!! I love that ship. Eager to see how I feel about the Fantasy when I set sail this Saturday. I may feel like I'm cheating on my favorite lady!

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #38
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allears View Post
Wow!!! So envious!!! I love that ship. Eager to see how I feel about the Fantasy when I set sail this Saturday. I may feel like I'm cheating on my favorite lady!
It doesn't hurt that I live 20 minutes from Galveston. If it weren't for that and some great deals, I wouldn't have sailed so many times.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #39
allears

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
It doesn't hurt that I live 20 minutes from Galveston. If it weren't for that and some great deals, I wouldn't have sailed so many times.
Very, very cool!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #40
sheldonlarson1246
Earning My Ears

Anything new? More recent cruisers?
sheldonlarson1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #41
reevesinga
Mouseketeer

We sailed last Nov. and our stateroom smelled of sewage! It was not pleasant.
reevesinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #42
txmousegirl
Earning My Ears

We were on the Magic in October, with group of 18, deck 2 outside room, and just returned from the Feb 1st cruise, just the two of us, deck 6 inside room. I thought the ship was beautiful! Nothing about it suggested worn or old to me. Our rooms were very clean, bathrooms were spotless. There was a rip in the cover of our sofa, but that was the exception not the rule. Both times our stateroom host was above and beyond excellent. Our kids were treated to a private towel origami lesson by Ali in October, and we were surprised by princess sheets for my daughter and cars sheets for my son mid-cruise. You don't have as much time to get to know your host on the 4-night cruise, but when I asked Made if I could possibly get some more of that fabulous H20+ sea salt lotion, there were two tubes on the counter when we returned to our cabin. Our servers in the dining room were wonderful. They took all the children from our large party and put them at one table, all the adults at the other. Ahhhhhh! Food was better at the early seating in October. It just never seemed piping hot at the late seating in February.

We love, love, love the Magic and hate to see her leave Galveston. We booked the Wonder for the 7 night Bahamian in December and are ready to fall in love again!
txmousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #43
xmansmom
Mouseketeer

We (me, DH, DS10) were on the Magic last week. It was our first cruise so I have nothing to compare it to. I didn't feel like it looked old or worn out. I did notice workers doing touch ups here and there. Everyone, from our stateroom host to the CMs in the gift shop gave the excellent service you would expect from Disney. There was a nice variety of things to do and the nightly shows were wonderful. All in all it was a wonderful trip and we will definitely be cruising again!
Last minute trip to Disneyland July/Aug 2007
Spring Break @ WDW - March 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea - July 2010
Disneyland to check out Radiator Springs July 2012
First Disney Cruise on the Magic! Feb 2013
4th of July at WDW 2013 Are we crazy??
DLR March 2014

xmansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #44
Husurdady
Dad-2-4 Dh-2-1 of 45yrs.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonlarson1246 View Post
Any other information?
I am so sorry to in-form you that the ship has a flat tire, it pulls to the right, and it does not take bumps well..........is that what you want to hear?
Please trust me.......took a 7 day western in 2006, and again in 2009, took a 5 day cruise on her in April 2012....... The ship looked the same each time,......."GREAT!" , and I would rather cruise on the Magic than the two newer ships. Go and enjoy your cruise. And don't worry.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #45
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

We were on the first cruise out of Galveston in late September. I saw nothing major that looked worn at all (maybe some carpeting). There was also a temporary issue with the AC in part of the ship one evening which was quickly fixed. Oh, and a minor flood down on Deck 2 (I think) Aft/Port. Wicked nitpicky. We enjoyed the beauty and attention to detail we expect out of Disney....truth be told, the ship was in way better shape than a good many parts of WDW.

As on every ship, the deck crew was continuously out painting, sanding, and maintaining; that's a task that never ends on a vessel exposed to saltwater, wind, and sun its entire life.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: