Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Justacruiser
Military Veteran
 
Justacruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,281

we actually sailed on the Fantasy last September with a 1 day break at WDW and then got on the Magic. We didn't have a great cruise on the Fantasy and were really questioning whether to try another cruise line. And then we hit the Magic! We had actually cruised on the ship twice before, but after the Fantasy cruise, there was a great difference. The food was better, things appeared to be more organized, overalll our experience with CM was just alot better. So, much better that we cruised on the Magic (#4) again in November out of Galveston and are hititng the ship again in 10 days (#5) for the 8-day cruise from Galveston to Key West, Castaway Cay, and WDW.

Fantasy and Dream ships are both bigger, have fancier eye candy, but we love the care of the CM's aboard the Magic. I specifically look for CM's that are NOT on their first tour. My experience is that longer tenured CM's are vested in DCL.
__________________
Upcoming Cruises: B2B - Dream 4/14

Total: 18 DCL Cruises / Total Nights on Board: 103 / Favorite Ship: Magic

2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 5, FANTASY - 2

Last edited by Justacruiser; 02-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
Menada1115
Mouseketeer
 
Menada1115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 114

We were on the Magic 12/1 out of Galveston and had an absolute blast! Are there parts of the ship that need a little updating? Yes. Did it look old or run down? No. The crew was FABULOUS!!! The only thing lacking a bit, in my opinion, was the food. It wasn't bad, but wasn't delicious by any means. There were a couple of items on the dining menus that were really good. Other than that, the food was just ok- to me. We had a wonderful time! Have a blast!!!
__________________

Me DH DD(16) DS(14) DD(9) DD(3)

09/2005- POP
11/2009- POP
11/2010- Hilton Garden Inn @ Sea World
10/2011- POR
1/2012- POR
12/2012- Disney Cruise
11/2013- Disney Cruise
Menada1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
nhgirl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Amherst
Posts: 110

We sailed on Magic in July. She looked great. The only other cruise we were on before Magic was NCL's Spirit which had just been refurbished. I thought Magic looked just as good and just as clean. It really puzzles me when people say "she shows her age". I don't have any idea what they are talking about.

Have a wonderful cruise!!
__________________
NCL Spirit - 2010
Disney Magic - 2012
nhgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
sheldonlarson1246
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72

Awesome! Any thing else?
sheldonlarson1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #20
cateisgreat
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4

We had an inside stateroom on deck 7 on the January 4th cruise of the Magic. This was our very first cruise as well as our very first Disney Cruise. We had a fantastic time and rebooked on board.
I may be the only voice of dissent in one respect, and that is the worn down appearance of my stateroom. I found the interior walls to be pretty scuffed up and dirty looking, and the desk area was scratched up. The whole thing could have used a really good dusting. The bathroom was immaculate, as were the comforter, couch, and other fabric items. There was a strange smell in the room that would come and go, kind of smelled like sewer. Our room steward refused to bring us wineglasses for our wine and told us to call room service for them. Friends who were on the same cruise but in a different room had the wineglasses appear after the steward saw their wine bottles.
That being said, we never complained so they had no idea, and had decided early on not to be in the stateroom very much so we could enjoy what the ship had to offer. The rest of the ship was beautiful and well maintained. Not having been on a Disney Cruise before, I had no idea if other inside staterooms looked like ours. But I do have to say I was disappointed in the look (and smell) of ours. Our whole family had a wonderful time regardless. Our next cruise is on the Fantasy and I am looking forward to seeing what a new ship looks and feels like.
cateisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 722

I just posted a review on the review side.
__________________
'84, '92-Beach Club, '97-DTD Hotel, 2005-POP, 2008-AKL/Poly, 2009-CR MK view, 2010-AKV-Kidani 2 BR, March 2012-ASMo, Sept 2012-Bonnet Creek 4 BR Presidential, 2013-Disney Magic 4n Western, Disney Wonder 7n Bahamian
Aggiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
mamabug70
Amy L
 
mamabug70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateisgreat
We had an inside stateroom on deck 7 on the January 4th cruise of the Magic. This was our very first cruise as well as our very first Disney Cruise. We had a fantastic time and rebooked on board.
I may be the only voice of dissent in one respect, and that is the worn down appearance of my stateroom. I found the interior walls to be pretty scuffed up and dirty looking, and the desk area was scratched up. The whole thing could have used a really good dusting. The bathroom was immaculate, as were the comforter, couch, and other fabric items. There was a strange smell in the room that would come and go, kind of smelled like sewer. Our room steward refused to bring us wineglasses for our wine and told us to call room service for them. Friends who were on the same cruise but in a different room had the wineglasses appear after the steward saw their wine bottles.
That being said, we never complained so they had no idea, and had decided early on not to be in the stateroom very much so we could enjoy what the ship had to offer. The rest of the ship was beautiful and well maintained. Not having been on a Disney Cruise before, I had no idea if other inside staterooms looked like ours. But I do have to say I was disappointed in the look (and smell) of ours. Our whole family had a wonderful time regardless. Our next cruise is on the Fantasy and I am looking forward to seeing what a new ship looks and feels like.
I agree about the staterooms... They were worn looking and our carpet had some stains. They had to move us to another room on deck 2 because our bathrooms kept flooding - with black stuff floating around in the water. I heard it happened to at least 10 to 15 rooms on our floor. We were talking about it at dinner and our server commented that her bathrooms flooded as well. We were moved to rooms 2082 and 2084 from 2520. Room 2084 smelled funny and I had lots of problems with my door lock/KTTW card. It took them 2 days to fix it. Other than that I thought pretty much everything else looked good. I didn't notice wear and tear and all the crew members were fantastic. I would sail on the Magic again (just not on the second floor) in a heartbeat.
__________________




1998 POFQ
1998 Boardwalk
1999-2007 yearly off property
2006 POP
2008 AKL-Jambo
2009 off property
2010 POR
2011 AKL-Kidani
2012 POFQ
2012 AOA Lion King Suite
mamabug70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 1,813

Well, the Magic was voted #1 large cruise ship in the world, so I assume it isn't too shabby.

http://www.cntraveler.com/cruises/cr...y/disney-magic
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (6/2014 BLT/AKV) (11/2014 5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)


EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #24
Hampering
Earning My Ears
 
Hampering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateisgreat
Our room steward refused to bring us wineglasses for our wine and told us to call room service for them. Friends who were on the same cruise but in a different room had the wineglasses appear after the steward saw their wine bottles.
I thought I was the only one who faced the same lackluster service. Our room steward told me she was not responsible for getting us wine glasses; though after 2 days she called room service and had them delivered. Went out of her way to ensure she would not provide anything other than mediocre service. Disappointed after reading raving reviews about room stewards...

Got nothing good to say about the guy (with a French accent) handling the bookings desk. He was downright rude to a point he made us feel like we were bothering him with our booking request.

We were on the Magic Dec 8th 2012. Our room looked tired. Bathrooms were great. Verandah was a rust bucket, understandably ! We were locked in our stateroom one night after dinner. Lock jammed up; took 3 technicians almost 3 hours of struggling and hammering to gain entry into the room and replace the lock.

Nevertheless, we will be back on the Magic in a few months. Bahamas calling. Besides, Mickey wants me back ;-)
__________________
Sanford
Hampering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #25
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight
Well, the Magic was voted #1 large cruise ship in the world, so I assume it isn't too shabby.

http://www.cntraveler.com/cruises/cr...y/disney-magic
Yeah, I find it REALLY interesting that so many threads about how old the Magic is and how she must be getting worn and shabby starting popping up after that list got some publicity. Lots of "new" members with very few posts stirring the pot, too.
__________________
Me DH DD (4) DS (1)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!


Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
cateisgreat
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Yeah, I find it REALLY interesting that so many threads about how old the Magic is and how she must be getting worn and shabby starting popping up after that list got some publicity. Lots of "new" members with very few posts stirring the pot, too.
I am not sure how posting an experience is stirring the pot?
If it makes you feel any better, I have been reading(lurking on) this forum since I first booked my cruise last May. I have never commented before due to my impression that negativity towards the ships causes some die hard fans to get sand in their shorts.
cateisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #27
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.
 
jjje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 649

This is the third thread in a week with people wondering how old the Magic looks. It seems like people are really worried about that all of the sudden.
__________________

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #28
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateisgreat
I am not sure how posting an experience is stirring the pot?
If it makes you feel any better, I have been reading(lurking on) this forum since I first booked my cruise last May. I have never commented before due to my impression that negativity towards the ships causes some die hard fans to get sand in their shorts.
I'm talking about all the people SUDDENLY asking the question ALL AT ONCE. And, as the person who posted just after your response proves, I'm not the only one who's noticed. It's very suspicious combined with how often the people poking the threads (not responding with experience, just keeping it alive and thrashing the issue) are "new" members. My suggestion is that the timing is not a coincidence. It's very easy and cheap for someone with an agenda to create doubt in the mind of someone who has never sailed in a particular ship before but just saw it rated the highest in its category, especially when this kind of money is at stake. And, since there's always going to be people with experience who have different opinions on the questions being asked... Some will choose to walk away and consider a different cruise line that has a "newer" ship but costs less.
__________________
Me DH DD (4) DS (1)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!


Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #29
mbrocker
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 109

It may have more to do with the fact she is scheduled for a major refurb this summer. I am on an April sailing and reading news of the refurb makes me wonder how old she's looking.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #30
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not
 
Tink2312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cheshire, England
Posts: 2,005

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabug70

I agree about the staterooms... They were worn looking and our carpet had some stains. They had to move us to another room on deck 2 because our bathrooms kept flooding - with black stuff floating around in the water. I heard it happened to at least 10 to 15 rooms on our floor. We were talking about it at dinner and our server commented that her bathrooms flooded as well. We were moved to rooms 2082 and 2084 from 2520. Room 2084 smelled funny and I had lots of problems with my door lock/KTTW card. It took them 2 days to fix it. Other than that I thought pretty much everything else looked good. I didn't notice wear and tear and all the crew members were fantastic. I would sail on the Magic again (just not on the second floor) in a heartbeat.
We had the same bathroom issue o the Dream in November. We were told it's a common problem on all the ships.
__________________
Catherine
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Pete’s Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Pete’s Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.